November 19, 2017, 01:54:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What a confusing state of affairs!  (Read 2550 times)
Lou
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2004, 03:23:12 PM »

Quote from: "Cheryl"
Let's see, now we have at least two Monte Carlo drivers and one Grand Prix GTP driver (me) in our little group.

Maybe, but real race fans drive pickup trucks.  Cool

Lou

old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2004, 04:11:49 PM »

GOOD ONE Lou. I like trucks too.
BTW, I hope that you were as happy to see Mark win one as I was. Now for my guy Jeff Burton, well, there's still hope.
 Cheryl, that was a good rant about the "officiating" (or lack there of). I'm trying to convince myself to go to Darlington in November. Its not as appealing to me as it was a couple months ago.
See ya, Petunia![/quote]

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Vivian
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2004, 09:59:46 PM »

Okay Guys, I drive a 98 Buick with a # 3 license plate frame and I carry around a # 8 tire pressure gauge.   :wink:   But.....once in a while like this morning I got to drive Don's '99 Vette with the # 3 key ring and decal.   Cool Now he just took it away from me and gave me his danged old Ford pick-up to drive home.  Wah....I don't like driving trucks.   :cry:
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2004, 04:51:41 AM »

It's nice to know what kinds of cars and trucks you drive, but I am here to refocus this thread back onto the Dover race on Sunday.

One solution suggested for solving scoring problems would be to use the standings at the end of the last completed lap after each caution.  I understand that this is common procedure in the short track, grass roots series.

However, Larry McReynolds pointed out on tonight's Totally NASCAR that this procedure doesn't necessarily work on the big tracks (like Talladega and Pocono), where track position can change several times per lap.

But I would rather see this than what has happened a number of times this year, especially this past week.  Besides, how do you freeze a field under caution anyway?

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
sally
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2004, 11:56:16 AM »

GPS
Lou
Living Legend

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2004, 07:32:49 PM »

Quote from: "sally"
GPS

What she said.

sally
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2004, 10:25:49 PM »

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Lou.  Sad to think that passenger cars can do, with Onstar, what Nascar can't, isn't it?
Sally
Lou
Living Legend

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2004, 01:39:21 PM »

Sad to think that passenger cars can do, with Onstar, what Nascar can't, isn't it?

Can't do? or Won't do? For you conspiracy lovers out there, if they added accurate GPS for positioning, then they would no longer be able to artificially alter the race outcome to suit their "master plan" from time to time.   :wink:

Lou

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2004, 01:47:06 PM »

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Lou.  Sad to think that passenger cars can do, with Onstar, what Nascar can't, isn't it?
Sally

You know I was exchanging some emails with Lou's boss, Jim, yesterday about NASCAR.  Jim got into racing around 1997, I believe, but he's already vowed this is his last year with NASCAR because of all the insanity.  I told him about me walking out of the race on Sunday after so many bad calls and when it became clear they were going for a single-file restart.  He wrote back that he believes they could easily use the GPS, but don't because then they wouldn't be able to put people where they want to put them.  I hadn't thought of that, but I think he makes a very good point.  Kinda like they always have that fallback position in their rulebook about "except in unsual circumstances" or something like that.  I used to laugh when I said "it ain't a democracy," but I'm not laughing anymore.  I understand that these are all judgment calls and sometimes they make mistakes, but it seems like Sunday their inconsistency on calling cautions was more some sort of plan to get more cars back on the lead lap to have a perceived better "show" at the end.  I mean, without the stupid free pass, everyone would've been lapped after Ryan's fiasco.  But, at the time, I thought about it, so if everyone is lapped, wouldn't it fall back to those 1 lap down would end up being the lead lap cars anyway, but without any interference from NASCAR.  Something like this happened last year in the Hooters race at Winchester when there were only 3 cars on the lead lap and a lapped car wrecked all three, but not so bad that they dropped out.  After they sorted things out, they were still the lead lap cars....I know I may be rambling here, but I just really hate that charity of giving people their laps back.  It makes the whole race a contrived thing...

Cheryl
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: