November 24, 2017, 04:31:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You should see 'Cars'  (Read 1171 times)
Desmond
All-Star

« on: June 15, 2006, 04:33:54 PM »

I saw Cars on Tuesday at Edwards Cinema in Long Beach, CA.  I will recommend it to everyone on this forum.  Personally, I loved it a bunch! Cheesy

The story of a race car that makes the most of being stranded in the middle of nowhere is told in the rich storytelling style that makes the Disney/Pixar films so popular.  Lots of things are in play here: the cutthroat battle for a championship, the building of friendship, and saving a community in need.

Also, do you recognize the race tracks?  The one in the opening scenes resemble Bristol Motor Speedway, and the one in the closing scenes looks like the Rose Bowl, although it's supposed to be California Speedway.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
derbyit857
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 04:50:59 PM »

We took the kids (although one is too little to know what is going on) to see Cars at the drive in. We all really liked it.. Other than the one BBB mention in the movie.. ;-)

I plan to buy it once it comes out on DVD. Be aware though. it's quite long. Almost 2 hrs.  Not that this is a bad thing really..  Just a heads up to anyone with kids who "stray" easily.

I counted at least 5-10 people wearing NASCAR jackets too milling about before the movie started..  Myself included of course..  Drive in was packed.  This was opening weekend that we went to see it.
Vivian
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 08:54:42 PM »

Good gosh!  Drive in's still around up there?  I haven't been to a drive in in about 8 years and then the show was stopped early because there was so much lightening starting to come into the area.  Next year it was all gone.  I have no idea where there are any left out here.

I am still debating as to whether I will buy the dvd.  I can't go to movies due to fragrance allergies so usually don't catch stuff until they are on tv.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 04:26:24 PM »

Quote from: "Vivian"
I am still debating as to whether I will buy the dvd.  I can't go to movies due to fragrance allergies so usually don't catch stuff until they are on tv.

So we now know why Vivian doesn't go to movies.  I would like to ask Cheryl, who also doesn't go to movie theaters, if there's any specific reason for that.  Crowds, maybe? :?

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 06:08:44 PM »

Quote from: "Desmond"
So we now know why Vivian doesn't go to movies.  I would like to ask Cheryl, who also doesn't go to movie theaters, if there's any specific reason for that.  Crowds, maybe? :?

Crowds, rude people who talk through the movie or can't stay in their seat the entire time, rude people who insist on bringing small children to theaters when they don't have the attention span to be there, and parents who seem to think that everyone else should put up with their children talking during the entire movie.  

Now Craig was a responsible parent and took his kids to the drive-in like my Dad used to do with us back in the 60s.   :smt038

I haven't been to a drive-in myself since about 1980...they all closed-down around here not soon after that.

Cheryl
derbyit857
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 10:01:28 PM »

We still have a few drive-ins around up here. This one is 10 minutes from my house and has 3 screens.  All show different movies.  It's $10 for each Adult and kids under 12 and under are free.  It's so much fun.  I used to love going to the drive-in with my parents when I was young.  Bring in your own food and snacks and it makes for a cheap night. Beats paying $9-11 each to get into a movie theatre here with $3.50+ fountain pop drinks and $3+ bags of popcorn AND you only get 1 movie.  Here you get 2 except for long weekends, you get 3!  We went the last long weekend and got home at 2:30am..   The great part is this drive-in gets the movies the first weekend they come out just like the regular theatres.. The drive-in near my friend's place (2 hrs + away) is still waiting to get Cars!

I would NEVER take my young kids to a movie theater if a movie is long as I know they wouldn't be able to sit still for 2 hrs.. :-)  Mckenna behaves really well at movie theatres but Aidin, well, he's 4 months so, 'nuff said..  :-)

Here's ours:

http://www.northyorkdrivein.com/
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 12:47:15 AM »

Wow, Craig!  That sounds SO cool!  I am jealous!  Three screens!  That's better than the double features we had at drive-ins back in the 60s.  

It's  shame they got rid of all the drive-ins around here in the 80s.  I guess there were too many drugs with the teens or drinking or something.   Sad

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 04:07:25 PM »

Quote from: "Cheryl"
It's  shame they got rid of all the drive-ins around here in the 80s.  I guess there were too many drugs with the teens or drinking or something.   Sad

Another reason is that real estate developers bought much of the land and realized that they could make more money turning them into strip malls.  For example, there are Lowe's hardware stores (as in the track name in Charlotte) in the former locations of drive-ins in Long Beach and Westminster, CA.

derbyit857
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 04:09:07 PM »

Quote from: "Cheryl"
Wow, Craig!  That sounds SO cool!  I am jealous!  Three screens!  That's better than the double features we had at drive-ins back in the 60s.  

Cheryl

OK, so I am jealous because you are so close to many great NASCAR tracks and you are jealous because we have a neat drive-in nearby..  Cool! Does that mean we are even?  LOL ;-)

It's great too because you can always drive over to one of the other screens during intermission if you don't like the second movie on the screen you are at.

I've been there twice this year and it's been packed and twice last year.. Never seen so many minivans.. :-)  Had some guy last time leave his hatchback open on his new Nissan Quest and I couldn't see the bottom 1/4 of the screen (it flips way up for some reason on the new model).  Politely asked the guy if he minded if I tied his hatch down some but not enough that it would impede his kids and his view from the back area of the van they were all laying in and he said sure, ,No problem!!  I knew I kept those wratchet straps in our Jeep  for a reason.. :-)  He made sure to bring it over once the movie was done.

It is a shame though like you said that there isn't many of these drive-ins around anymore..   It's an experience!  Plus with you now being able to tune your car radio to the appropriate FM radio station to get the sound, it's way better than when I went with my parents!
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2006, 01:19:44 AM »

Quote from: "derbyit857"

OK, so I am jealous because you are so close to many great NASCAR tracks and you are jealous because we have a neat drive-in nearby..  Cool! Does that mean we are even?  LOL ;-)

No, YOU are way ahead!   :lol:

This weekend while we were relaxing around the race track campground at Myrtle Beach before the Hooters race, we were listenging to some CDs.  One song came on by Styx, The Grand Illusion, and I looked at Lou and said "that's what NASCAR has turned into these days..."

Cheryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: