November 23, 2017, 02:33:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A BRAND NEW SCHEDULE  (Read 1303 times)
ronbarnes77
Legend

« on: June 09, 2006, 11:55:13 PM »

Cheesy  Cheesy GUYS IN THE LAST WEEK I'VE BEEN THINKING ABOUT A TOPIC FANS DON'T TALK ABOUT MUCH AND THAT'S SCHEDULE CHANGES.I'M CURIOUS ABOUT WHAT CHANGES YOU MY FELLOW FORUM MEMBERS WOULD MAKE TO THE CURRENT SCHEDULE IF YOU HAD THE CHANCE.I WANT TO HEAR EVERBODY'S THOUGHTS ON THIS SUBJECT AND I'LL START WITH THESE THREE CHANGES. 1. REDUCE THE NUMBER OF SUPERSPEEDWAY RACES TO 3 FROM 4 2. RESTORE THE SOUTHERN 500 NEXT SEASON AND 3. SCHEDULE ANOTHER OFF DAY NEXT SEASON.LET ME HEAR EVERBODY'S THOUGHTS AND FEEDBACK. Cheesy  Cheesy
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 12:23:08 AM »

1) No.  Although restrictor plate races are a fact of life we cannot live with (if that's what Ron meant by "superspeedway races"), we must be fair to both Daytona and Talladega.  The races that should be reduced are the aero tracks of 1 1/2 to 2 miles, as well as Pocono, for which the point of racing there is not clear.  The other tracks I mention stretch from Homestead to California and include Michigan, Chicagoland, Kansas, Texas and Las Vegas.  Homestead and (soon) Las Vegas would stay on the schedule due to progressive banking, but the rest, at least most of them, should go.
2) YES! The removal of the Southern 500 from the first weekend in September is symbolic of how much NASCAR has changed in the name of money.  Other examples: the welcome mat for Toyota, its own fan club, its own charity (the NASCAR Foundation), and greater control of merchandise sales.  I can no longer find more than a few NASCAR die-casts at my local Wal-Mart store due to those items being shipped to the track to sell at a premium.  But returning to the subject: Other the Daytona 500, every NASCAR driver wanted to win the Southern 500.  The prize is gone, and that's a shame.  The 54 years of tradition that have been thrown out the window cannot be replaced by anything, and I don't care if I live about 50 miles from the track that got the date instead.  Honest, do you really want to win the "Sony HD 500" instead of the Southern 500? :x
3) Yes, again!  If the number of races are reduced to 30-32, then four weeks off will be automatically created.  Maybe we should go one step further and finish the season in October in Atlanta, where the season used to end, instead of stretching it into November.  This may even cause the end of the dreaded Chase, which was adopted simply because NASCAR wanted to be as big as pro football in this country, which, let's be honest, it never will be.  These weeks off, by the way, will not just benefit the drivers.  The biggest advantages are to the crews and shop employees, who work more hours a week than most of us ever will, to ensure that their teams are prepared for each race.  They sacrifice family life and personal time for this to happen.  It's time to give some of that back to them. Cheesy

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
sally
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 12:30:44 AM »

My first suggestion would be to hold the Winston on the Wednesday night before the 600.  That frees up a weekend while all the teams are home.  Move one of the open weekends early in the season to later.  Having two off weekends within the first month is ridiculous, leaving the teams criss crossing the country nonstop for months.

Lose one Pocono date.
Give us back the Southern 500 in Darlington!!!!!
Lose a date at MIS.
How about a 'wild card' track in the chase instead of yet another cookie cutter...like, say, Rockingham?
They should never be allowed to race on two flat tracks on successive weekends...no one needs that many naps.

Sal
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 01:28:18 AM »

Less night races.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 06:55:58 PM »

Quote from: "drpep (brian)"
Less night races.

I'll definitely second that one, Brian!

I think there should be at least 4 off weekends for the teams, as evenly spaced throughout the entire season as possible.

I also think that NASCAR ought to end the season at Daytona in November.  I think that would nicely bookmark the entire season.  If my other suggestions resulted in adding an extra week or two onto the schedule, they could easily still race at Daytona AFTER Thanksgiving.   :lol:   Most real race fans wouldn't complain about a longer season.  I  know, I wouldn't IF it included competititve tracks.

Other suggestions are pretty obvious to anyone who knows my strong feelings about the Southern 500, Darlington, Rockingham, and North Wilkesboro.

1.  Get rid of all races at Chicago and Kansas City.

2.  Give only one race to California and Phoenix (2 are absurd in my book)

3.  Take all races away from New Hampshire.

4.  Return the Southern 500 back to Darlington on Labor Day and keep the Mother's Day Weekend race there too.

5.  Give Rockingham an April or May date as well as a September/early October date.

6.  Same for N. Wilkesboro.

7.  Give Mansfield a Cup date (we need MORE short tracks, not less) in place of Chicago or KC.  I can personally attest to the enthusiam of the Ohio race fans (after last weekend).

8.  I love Pocono and we've seen a lot of good races at Michigan, so I have no problem with them each keeping two dates and the length of their current races.

9.  Texas, personally I can't stand that place, but it's probably because most of my drivers have atrocious luck there.  If the schedule could accommodate all the above changes and them keeping 2 dates, that's fine with me since there ARE a lot of race fans in Texas.  If not, take one away.  

10.  I could do without both Homestead and Las Vegas, but they are producing a bit of better racing these days, so maybe they could keep their dates.

11.  Personally, could care less about the road courses these days, but some people like their diversity, so I have no problem with them staying.  Perhaps, switch Watkins Glen with the road course in Montreal for our Northern race fans though.

Also, don't have any interest if they ever race in NYC or Seattle, especially if that results in taking more dates away from proven competitive tracks already on the schedule.

Schedule Texas, Las Vegas, Phoenix, California, Homestead only when the weather is colder on the east coast (Feb/Mar or Oct/Nov).

That's all I can think of right now.   Smiley

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 04:07:36 PM »

I disagree with Cheryl on Pocono.  

The track is so boring to race on.  And qualifying is even worse, with almost two full minutes between cars making attempts.

Otherwise, she's on the right track, no pun intended.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 08:42:22 PM »

Add one more road course.  Maybe in Mexico or Canada
Lose one New Hampshire
Lose one CA
Maybe lose Michigan
Put N. Wilksboro back in
Lose Chicago
Like Sally said, run the All Star on Wednesday before the 600
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 11:15:12 PM »

great job guys!! let me response to several points.desmond good point about pocono i used to love that track but without shifting the racing there sucks! cheryl good point about the 4 weekends and rockingham disagree about nyc and seattle although i think you're right if they take races from other tracks.also desmond i made the suggestion about plate tracks because of the danger factor but good point about the mile and a half and two mile tracks. in fact take a race from either chicago or kansas and one fron let's say new hampshire. Cheesy  Cheesy
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2006, 12:07:04 AM »

Quote from: "Cheryl"

7.  Give Mansfield a Cup date (we need MORE short tracks, not less) in place of Chicago or KC.  I can personally attest to the enthusiam of the Ohio race fans (after last weekend).

Perhaps, switch Watkins Glen with the road course in Montreal for our Northern race fans though.

Give Mansfield a Cup date and you can bet the greedy owners of Kentucky would have a fit.

Take away the Glen :evil:  :shock:  The only race I can make it to. The one in my backyard :shock:

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2006, 12:23:48 AM »

i didn't think about kentucky anybody ever see a race at that track?? Cheesy
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2006, 02:53:56 PM »

I didn't even think about Kentucky!  Another boring, flat 1 1/2 mile track.  Ugh!  Heard the promoter on XM the other night talking about how they "deserve" a race.  What a bunch of hooey if you ask me!  Tracks deserve races where they can providing exciting side-by-side racing for the fans live and on TV.  Not just the "spectacle" of NASCAR cars there.

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2006, 06:23:34 PM »

I Nascar worried more about the racing and less about 'the show' and media, we would still have races at Rockingham.

Sally
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: