November 21, 2017, 03:44:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ratings down again.  (Read 1673 times)
sally
« on: June 07, 2006, 05:39:27 PM »

It appears for the second week in a row, TV ratings were down for the Cup races.  The 600 outdrrew the Indy 500, but both series TV numbers were down.  The 600 was down 16.4 % from last year, and the 500 down 23.1%.  Dover this weekend was down to 3.7 %, down from last year's 4.9.  It was out drawn by all the NBA playoff games.

Perhaps we aren't the only ones tired of sub par coverage.

Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 05:58:49 PM »

Yeah, but it still beat Indy!   :lol:

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 06:01:21 PM »

Quote from: "sally"
The 600 outdrrew the Indy 500, but both series TV numbers were down.  The 600 was down 16.4 % from last year, and the 500 down 23.1%.

I was stunned to see the 23 percent drop in the Indy 500 ratings.  The only thing I can think of is that Todd Harris wasn't around this time to hype Danica Patrick as the driver who would change the world. Wink

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 06:17:32 PM »

Quote from: "Desmond
I was stunned to see the 23 percent drop in the Indy 500 ratings.  The only thing I can think of is that Todd Harris wasn't around this time to hype Danica Patrick as the driver who would change the world. Wink

Or perhaps a lot of people (like me) still don't find "pointy car" racing exciting.

Cheryl
Benson23Fan
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 08:45:01 PM »

This is interesting, if you go back to the year 2000 you'll notice this year is following a similar trend. The year before a brand new television contract and the ratings are down 10-20 percent across the board. Which is really nothing to be too concerned with at this point, if I was NASCAR I'd be more concerned with the increasing number of empty seats that are popping up at places that used to always sell out such as Charlotte, Dover and Texas.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 09:09:48 PM »

Quote from: "Benson23Fan"
if I was NASCAR I'd be more concerned with the increasing number of empty seats that are popping up at places that used to always sell out such as Charlotte, Dover and Texas.

I agree, Brenden!  I know MY two seats that I had at Charlotte and Dover for over 15 years were empty this year (since I didn't renew our seats).  Okay, someone probably got lucky and upgraded to them (since both were in primo locatons), but you get my point.  More people are voting with their dollars like Lou and I did after last season.

Cheryl
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 11:10:24 PM »

Cheesy  Cheesy i'm very surprised that the 600 outdrew indy. the only reason i can come up with is that people are still put off by the indy car spilt. also looks like fox is finding out what the old adage means "what comes around goes around".
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 03:09:08 PM »

I think that there is a more basic problem with the subject matter. I was listening to some dumb show on XM the other day and the fella was discussing these ratings numbers, and was all worked up because the 600 drew better than Indy. Blah, blah.
 Truly, they are missing the bigger picture. The idea of parking in front of a tv and watching 3-4 -5 hours of "racing" interuppted by an interminable number of commercials is losing its appeal to a lot of folks who don't know a camshaft from a piston, and who really don't care about racing.
  Add to that, guys like me who love cars of all kinds, (from true classics to street rods), who are just sick of all the baloney the networks are trying to pass off as racing coverage, and you are going to see the ratings drop.
  I think that the interest in auto racing has peaked, and BABY Brian just hasn't gigured that out yet.
  Sorry to be such a curmudgeon, but I think the next few years will bear me out.
  Dick :cry:

PS WOW!! 800 posts! :-D

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 08:16:06 PM »

Quote from: "old hot rodder"
 Add to that, guys like me who love cars of all kinds, (from true classics to street rods), who are just sick of all the baloney the networks are trying to pass off as racing coverage, and you are going to see the ratings drop.
  I think that the interest in auto racing has peaked, and BABY Brian just hasn't figured that out yet.
  Sorry to be such a curmudgeon, but I think the next few years will bear me out.
PS WOW!! 800 posts! :-D

Don't feel bad, Dick, I think Brian sees any of us over 35 as a curmudgeon these days.

I like your characterization of "the baloney."  That's a good one!

Congratulations on the 800 post mark!   :smt038

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2006, 09:35:12 PM »

Dick, very well said.  I totally agree with you.

Congratulations on your 800th post!  :smt026
sally
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2006, 10:18:53 PM »

I agree with you, too.  I think all the 'baloney' they keep cluttering the screen with is more distraction than interesting or informative.  Do any of the 'new' fans really care about it?  nNot likely.  Now that the novelty of the crapshoot has worn off, and people see it isn't going to put 15 drivers in 'contention', or really be any different than any other race during the year, 'fans' are looking for the Next Big Thing.

sally

Congrats on 800! :smt023
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2006, 04:16:28 PM »

Great job, Dick!  May you be a valued member of our family for years to come.

:smt041

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: