November 19, 2017, 03:30:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scott Wimmer  (Read 564 times)
sally
« on: June 06, 2004, 12:29:24 AM »

So, what is the consensus of opinion about  how Nascar has handled the Scott Wimmer DUI conviction?  I think he's a nice kid who knows what a big mistake he made.  However, I find it rather strange that Nascar apparently considers cussing on air more of a "detriment" to stock car racing than leaving the scene of a DUI accident.  I don't think a 1 or 2 race suspension, or at least losing some points would have been out of line.  What do you think?
Sally
Vivian
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2004, 05:41:53 PM »

As we all know, money talks.  I think who he is had a lot to do with not having time to serve in jail.  Is not that much of a sentence, imo.  But then he was the only one involved.  However, since it was a public road I think they should have been more harsh.

As far a Nascar is concerned, I don't know what they think.  Actually, I don't know how involved they should be.  What does his probabtion consist of?  Only off track stuff of drinking, etc or does it include how he behaves on track?  None of it makes sense to me.  I don't think they had the right to make him sit out or to take points away so I guess they did the only thing they could.   :?
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2004, 07:06:45 PM »

Quote from: "Vivian"
As we all know, money talks.  I think who he is had a lot to do with not having time to serve in jail.  Is not that much of a sentence, imo.  But then he was the only one involved.  However, since it was a public road I think they should have been more harsh.

As far a Nascar is concerned, I don't know what they think.  Actually, I don't know how involved they should be.  What does his probabtion consist of?  Only off track stuff of drinking, etc or does it include how he behaves on track?  None of it makes sense to me.  I don't think they had the right to make him sit out or to take points away so I guess they did the only thing they could.   :?

I have to agree with Vivian on this.  NASCAR does not have an off-track drinking policy.  It's a little different that their drug policy.  Illegal drugs are entirey different that alcohol use on your own time.

I think Scott made a mistake and has surely learned his lesson about it.  Based on how modest his house is on NASCAR 360, I think he's probably not used to the big leagues yet (which is a good thing in that case) and didn't really understand how closely his behavior would be scrutinized.  I'm sure everyone who has ever had a little too much to drink knows how much it affects your judgment.  

Yes, probation is basically nothing, but I don't think he did anything that really affects his on-track performance or the other competitors.  I agree with Sally that probation or fines from language is absurd.  I think a pattern of over-agressive driving is the only thing that warrants probation, fines, or suspension.  Oh yeah, and punching out your fellow competitors or crew members.   :wink:

Don't know if anybody heard Hornaday's comments on MRN after Biffle took him out Saturday.  It was mentioned on Pit Bull.  We switched to XM and heard his comments during the race and then his self-edited version for TV.  He said something about how Biffle said before the race he wasn't taking any sh*t off of anybody, but changed it to stuff for TV.  I'm sure NASCAR will fine him, but I think they have to give some consideration to "heat of battle" and fines for this stuff are absurd!

Cheryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: