November 22, 2017, 11:59:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ticker on Fox  (Read 552 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: May 29, 2006, 08:59:49 PM »

Okay, I got the straight scoop from Mike Joy about what they were doing with the ticker this weekend on Fox.  I was more bothered by it during the Busch race because I wanted to follow how Danny O'Quinn and some other Busch regulars were doing.  But after watching how they alternated the top 10, top 20 or full field during the Cup race, I thought I had it figured out.  I thought it was because the ticker takes so long and it's hard to keep it up to date.  I sent Mike an email to that effect this morning and this is what he wrote me back:

"Thanks for asking.

The entire field is fed to the graphics computer at once, and is correct WHEN FED.   Because the ticker takes so long to scroll through the entire field, some positions may be incorrect when you see it come across the screen.

That's why we have started alternating beteen full field scrolls and shorter scrolls, which may be top ten, top 20, or lead lap cars.

While this isnt as much a factor at the biggest tracks, at some tracks the number of lapped cars and out of race cars is large and their position doesnt change much... The 600 was an experiment with this and we will continue to fine tune it."

So, as much as it is frustrating to many of us at times, I can understand their logic.  I've complained recently in my reviews and on the forum that if the information is not going to be up-to-date, why bother showing it.  So I think this is an attempt by Fox to keep the info much more current.  As Mike says, they are fine-tuning it, so I'm willing to give them a chance to find a happy medium.  And I appreciate Mike responding to my question so quickly.  

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 09:49:33 PM »

To me, it's just another good reason to go back to the way ESPN used  to show the field....a small column, 5 cars at a time on the left of the scree.  You could see out of the corner of your eye when it went to the next 5 cars, so it didn't require keeping your eyes glued to the screen in case you missed your driver.  Tehy also used to put a red or green light on a car number so you could tell quickly if a car moved up or down on the track.  Just another example (for me) of the newer gimmick definitely NOT being better...just more distracting.

sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 12:00:31 AM »

Quote from: "sally"
To me, it's just another good reason to go back to the way ESPN used  to show the field....a small column, 5 cars at a time on the left of the scree.  You could see out of the corner of your eye when it went to the next 5 cars, so it didn't require keeping your eyes glued to the screen in case you missed your driver.  Tehy also used to put a red or green light on a car number so you could tell quickly if a car moved up or down on the track.  Just another example (for me) of the newer gimmick definitely NOT being better...just more distracting.

I agree, Sally.  I liked the way ESPN did it better too!  Less distracting, but I'm sure Fox found sponsoring the ticker works better for them.  They are sellling to the sponsors that the ticker will draw our attention to their logo.  

I don't remember ESPN doing the green/red thing though.  I thought that originated with NBC.  

Cheryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: