November 19, 2017, 09:44:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Better Updates  (Read 627 times)
sally
« on: May 29, 2006, 01:05:22 PM »

As I watched the Indy 500 yesterday, I noticed that their crawler updates positions immediately a pass takes place, unlike the Nascar crawler which (if they go beyond the top 10) has to wait at least a lap to show any position changes.

Sally
17RoushFan
Veteran

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 07:03:08 PM »

Yeah, I noticed that the ticker used the telemetry on the crawler, but I also noticed that they took a page out of NBC/TNT's "Through The Field," and ABC called theirs, "Up to Speed," allowing the reporters to update the drivers and use the telemetry to show where the leader and the current driver being talked about is on the track. Pointers were used as well during the telecast. My guess is that ABC/ESPN will continue to take the torch from NBC in 2007 with these features when NASCAR comes back next year.

Glad that ABC was able to use side-by-side for most of the race for this race. I think there were only 2 or 3 times where it was not used within the race period because of local breaks.

tuned in to watch some commercials, but when they went to break, i saw a nascar race!
sally
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 09:53:48 PM »

ESPN was going thru the entire field years ago, so I don't think they 'took' that from anyone.  Do you think if we let sponsors know that we, as fans, would be EXTREMELY loyal to a sponsor that allowed the 'side by side' ads ESPN could use the same for Nascar?

Sally
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 04:09:47 PM »

Quote from: "17RoushFan"
Glad that ABC was able to use side-by-side for most of the race for this race. I think there were only 2 or 3 times where it was not used within the race period because of local breaks.

I noticed that, too, and also remember that the feature was not part of The Seduction of Danica--oops, the 2005 race.  (Sorry, I still can't forget how Todd Harris "called" it last year.)

And I think I know who stood in the way of the use of side-by-side that day: Budweiser.  Apparently, they didn't agree to the feature, so it wasn't shown at all.

And guess who's one of the biggest NASCAR advertisers?  Yep, Budweiser.  That's why you shouldn't hold your breath for the arrival of side-by-side on next year's ABC/ESPN schedule.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: