November 17, 2017, 10:18:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Staten Island  (Read 1898 times)
17RoushFan
Veteran

« on: June 02, 2004, 09:42:10 AM »

http://www.nascar.com/2004/news/headlines/cup/05/28/bc.car..nascar.statenisl.ap/

We can only hope it's not a 1.5-mile tri-oval nor a 2-mile D-shaped oval!

tuned in to watch some commercials, but when they went to break, i saw a nascar race!
sally
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2004, 11:49:49 AM »

Wouldn't you just love to take the ferry to the race?  Since Jeff Gordon loves to be in NYC because he can walk down the street withou being recognised, I wond how much a track in the "heart" of the city will impress?  And, if you think rooms are expensive "in the middle of nowhere in the southeast, try a room in Manhatten!
Sally
ronbarnes7777
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2004, 03:00:34 PM »

i think that this track being built is a strong possiblity if nascar is willing to pay for most of the costs.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2004, 05:36:20 PM »

Well, I'm assuming they would pay the whole cost.  They're not like ball teams that expect the city or state to foot the bill.  At least not yet, they aren't...

Lou and I are heading out for Dover after work this afternoon, so we won't be around to make sure you kids behave again.    

Just try to keep the "debates" civil while we're away!    Staci and Sally should be busy taking notes to do the race review this week, so that should keep them out of trouble.   :wink:

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2004, 05:46:35 PM »

Cheryl, you should know by now that it takes more than that to keep us out of trouble!
Sally Tongue
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2004, 10:16:58 PM »

Cheryl,

The Kansas Speedway was publicly financed when it opened in 2001.  But don't expect much help from NYC because they're trying to pay for 9/11 and the 2012 Olympics.

There is also a rumor of a joint ISC-SMI venture to bring the race track to the NYC area.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
sally
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2004, 09:23:45 PM »

I just read in my Scene newsletter that ISC (aka "The Track Killer") has haired the SAME firm that built the Chicago and Kansas tracks to consult about the NY track!  Woe is us, I feel another 1.5 mile, D shaped, low banked one groove track coming on!
 :cry: Sally
Lou
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2004, 08:19:03 PM »

I talked to a couple of racefans from Staten Island this past weekend at Dover. They had their reservations about the track being located there. Traffic worries were the prime concern. They said that sometime it takes hours just to get off the island - imagine how horrible it would be with 100,000 racefans trying it also.

Lou

old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2004, 03:02:36 PM »

Don't forget, Lou, this is Nascar we're talking about! Money! Who cares about common sense or the safety or convenience of the fans...
   :roll:

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Vivian
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2004, 07:56:03 PM »

BTW, if they build a track near Seattle the traffic woes will be unbelieveable.  Interstate 5 from Olympia all the way through Seattle is just totally packed most of the time and stop and go for miles and miles most of the time.  Also, there is the Sunday's when the Seahawks play and it will be even worse then so I hope they are really looking at that.  I personally think getting around and traffic would be a lot less if they built the Western one in the Portland area.  But then, who knows?

Ken S., you never post but I know you are in that area, so please chip in and tell us what you think of a track up there.  Thanks.
ronbarnes7777
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2004, 02:43:15 PM »

hey i live in manhattan but travel thru s.i to new jersey and they're right.i suspect that they will encourage fans to take the ferry to the track.
sally
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2004, 10:41:54 PM »

Ron, so, where will all the fans park their cars?  How long will they wait for the ferry?  Doesn't sound too appealing to me.  Whaddya think?
Sally
ronbarnes7777
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2004, 04:32:25 PM »

hey sally to answer your first question i assume that parking lots will be built on the new jersey side of the river.second ferry service will run every 30mins from say 8am till race time and start immediately after the race until say 8pm.also it's possible that a new bridge could be built from the site across the river to nj.
Lou
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2004, 07:34:06 PM »

Quote from: "ronbarnes7777"
it's possible that a new bridge could be built from the site across the river to nj.
The Nextel Bridge? :idea:

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2004, 07:39:15 PM »

Quote from: "Lou"
Quote from: "ronbarnes7777"
it's possible that a new bridge could be built from the site across the river to nj.
The Nextel Bridge? :idea:

And they could put VIP seats on it, so the bigwigs can look at the race (like the Dupont Bridge at Dover).   Smiley

Hey, maybe they could fill in one of the rivers near NY and use that for a track (since land is at such a premium).  I just saw something on Discovery this other day about how much of NYC was a result of landfills.   :wink:

Cheryl
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: