November 24, 2017, 03:44:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shocked!!!  (Read 1613 times)
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« on: May 26, 2006, 02:16:01 AM »

A certain Fox favorite has missed the Cup race this weekend and I am just shocked they treated  it as they do the usual back marker who misses the race. No interview or over long commentary about what went wrong. There is still time during Busch qual coverage to talk to him though.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 12:58:28 PM »

Who???  Didn't watch much of qualifying.  I'm guessing Mikey or Robby Gordon...

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 03:30:35 PM »

Stanton Barrett??? :?

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 04:50:11 PM »

Quote from: "Cheryl"
Who???  Didn't watch much of qualifying.  I'm guessing Mikey or Robby Gordon...

It was Michael Waltrip.  Unless he strikes a last-minute deal to replace another driver, he will miss his first Nextel Cup race since 1998.

Waltrip was not interviewed during Busch coverage.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
derbyit857
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 07:29:05 PM »

From Jayski:

#55-Michael Waltrip’s string of 261 consecutive Cup appeared to come to a halt Thursday night, when he failed to qualify for the Coca-Cola 600, turning in a dreadfully slow qualifying lap more than 8 mph off the pole speed. He last failed to qualify for a Cup race in Oct. 1998 at Phoenix. But he apparently will purchase a starting spot from #74-Derrike Cope, with details expected to be announced later.(Speed Channel)

AND Michael Waltrip's consecutive start streak of 261 races will get to 262. Waltrip's Waltrip-Jasper Racing has bought the ride of the #74 McGlynn Racing Dodge and driver Derrike Cope for the Coca-Cola 600, according to a Waltrip team spokesman. The car will have the NAPA logo on the car and might carry the #55. The owner points goes to McGlynn and not to Waltrip, whose team sits 36th in owner points and likely will drop following the race. Waltrip likely will put a new engine in the car but must use the car Cope qualified in the event. Waltrip ranks sixth in consecutive starts among NASCAR Nextel Cup drivers [see list on my stats page].(SceneDaily.com)(5-26-2006)

Does anyone else find this COMPLETELY LAME??  This whole "buy a ride" thing has gotten out of hand as far as I am concerned.  It seems like Mikey is right in the middle of all this buying stuff.. Although I saw the Cal Wells Tide team do it at least once before!
Vivian
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 08:03:21 PM »

Buy a ride, what a joke.  Of course during quals last night DW was pulling for Carl Long because he once bought a ride from him.  I am sure he had an alternative reason for hoping Carl would make it.  But I guess it didn't matter whether his brother bought from Carl or Derrike.  However, I am not surprised at anything that goes on.  It is all about $$$, not whether you can qualify and race well.  One good thing, it won't help owner's points so Mikey will have to get in on time again next race. :smt026

Sorry, I could not resist the emoticon.
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 09:23:27 PM »

I was going to try to post the link from Nascar.com on this, emphasis on TRY, because I"m not too good at this stuff. :-D
 Anyhow, it is all over the racing boards if you are interested. I'm glad I have a lot of other things to do this weekend!! :-D
 See ya, Dick

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
sally
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2006, 08:54:13 PM »

Yet another take on Mikey buying his way in to the race this weekend.  Does NAPA really think this is impressive?

http://www.clantonadvertiser.com/articles/2006/05/26/sports/b-sports.txt

Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2006, 08:54:17 PM »

I heard something about this yesterday on TV.  All I could think of was he had to have learned that from his brother and when he bought a ride from Carl Long several years ago.  How sad...thankfully, the report I heard was he would be stuck with whatever equipment the guy had that he bought the ride from, so he wouldn't be very competitive.  Still it proves if you have enough money, you can buy anything. :evil:

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 04:33:01 PM »

Quote from: "Cheryl"
thankfully, the report I heard was he would be stuck with whatever equipment the guy had that he bought the ride from, so he wouldn't be very competitive.

Michael Waltrip finished 41st in the Coca-Cola 600.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2006, 01:03:49 AM »

Mikey was saying last night on Inside Cup he didn't think people should be saying he bought a ride without knowing all the facts because he did not buy a ride but in my opinion Michael contradicted himself when he said that he did not buy his way in, that he merely teamed up with Derrick Cope's team by paying them to drive the car.

Well, when you pay someone to let you drive the car they qualifed, to me that is buying a ride.  He must really think fans are stupid.
sally
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2006, 02:15:52 AM »

He does, Viv.  He's constantly lecturing us on how things REALLY are, or telling the live audience at the track to be quiet while he talks.

Sal
Vivian
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2006, 09:30:26 PM »

I have to thank Larry McReynolds for this.  Copied it from Jayski

I write this delicately because I think the world of Michael, but he manipulated the system in the beginning of the season. He involved Doug Bawel with his team so he could get the No. 77 owner points. He essentially bought his way into the first five races. It was a great business decision. He was guaranteed a spot in the Daytona 500, but nothing changed.

It was inevitable that he was going to get out of the top 35 in owner points, and the hole just keeps getting deeper because the No. 55 car gets nothing but a few points just for showing up.

I find it interesting.  No matter what,  it is all about Mikey.  Even Kenny said it was Mikey's show on Inside cup monday
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2006, 12:38:28 AM »

Quote from: "Vivian"
I find it interesting.  No matter what,  it is all about Mikey.  Even Kenny said it was Mikey's show on Inside cup monday

Not defending MIkey in the least, but that "it's Mikey's show" is something Kenny has been saying for a couple years now to mock Mikey and his "it's all about me" attitude.  That's one reason I still watch the show is because I love Kenny's sarcasm and the looks he gives Michael. :lol:

Cheryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: