November 19, 2017, 07:46:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So Jarrett defects  (Read 1388 times)
Vivian
« on: May 16, 2006, 01:31:38 AM »

The announcement came on Saturday which makes it official.  It was not a surprise and they said it was not all about money.  He did say he was loyal to Ford still.

What I don't understand is why it is not a conflict of interest since he owns a Ford dealership.  In fact, I can't understand why Ford is letting him keep it.  Does that make sense to you members?
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 12:36:36 PM »

It IS all about money IMHO.  But as a regular working person, I just can't fathom that someone who is already a millionaire actually needs another 20 million dollars.  But then, that never seemed to stop NA$CAR.

Also, Jarrett's move shows me there really is no brand loyalty in NA$CAR anymore.  I've read elsewhere that other drivers have various types of dealerships regardless of what car they drive in Cup, so I don't think it  makes that much difference to the manufacturer.  If Ford feels they can sell more cars by being affiliated with a Winston Cup champion's name, I'm sure they will keep supporting his dealerships.  

Believe me, I was a diehard Rusty Wallace fan, but when he went to Ford, it took me a long time to get over it.  And that was an American-owned manufacturer.   The funny thing now is that those Fords don't seem nearly as bad as they used to me.  :lol:   I still wouldn't buy one, but I'll definitely be rooting for anyone in a Ford next year over DJ or Michael Waltrip!  

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 03:50:07 PM »

Gee, Cheryl, I know some folks who felt the same way about my old favorite, Jeff Burton when he went to RCR.  :-D  I could never quite warm up to Rusty, even tho I certainly respect his ability, and I have high hopes for him in the booth.
  That said, you are correct about the brand loyalty issue. Nascar seems to be fostering that idea, even tho they get bunches of bucks from the manufacturers.  I don't know why on earth Ford and GM are putting up with this crap, but they are, apparently.
  Oh well, so much for DJ. Again, I respect his ability, but if he and Mikey end up 37th and 38th in points next year, you won't see me shedding any tears. :-D

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 04:12:59 PM »

I can't remember the source, but some fan wrote somewhere on the Internet that he saw Darrell Waltrip--Mr. Toyota--pull into a parking lot driving a Chevy Suburban.

Another piece of evidence that loyalty means nothing these days.  "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday?"  Only if you mean the products they sell while we should be watching a race.  :twisted:

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 08:54:16 PM »

I guess if I look at the fact that they are famous and people will buy what famous people sell; then Ford & Chevy must let them drive wahtever thay want because the ability to sell more cars is because of who owns the dealership rather than what the person who owns the dealership drives.  

Don constantly tells me he is a Chevy man at heart; but being a mechanic and ex-body person, he normally looks at the overall dependability and how well the vehicle is made before he decides what to purchase for himself.  I guess at times we are all wishy-washy... :smt017
SeattleFan
Sophmore

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 08:28:44 PM »

The interesting thing about this is that the Toyota may have more American built parts and finished assembly than Ford or Chevy...
Vivian
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 09:32:23 PM »

Yesterday on Jayski Michael said he had no plans for a 3rd team.  Now today he says he would consider it if he had a sponsor and he has talked to UPS.  After him stating on Inside Cup he didn't want UPS, I would be surprised if they went with him regardless of who is driving.  But then again, it is all about advertising and selling and no one gets more ads in for sponsors than Michael does.
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 09:44:13 PM »

I know that you are correct about Mikey, Vivian, but I can think of at least 25 or 30 drivers who would provoke a more favorable response from me. :roll:

William James
Vivian
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 09:54:02 PM »

Dick, I think about 35 or 40 drivers would provoke a more favorable response also.  Sure wish I could post what I am thinking right now.  Maybe, let's see...does he follow in his big brother's footsteps?  You know, the one who was nicknamed 'Jaws'?

Did I blow it here, Cheryl??? :smt018
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 12:19:22 AM »

Quote from: "SeattleFan"
The interesting thing about this is that the Toyota may have more American built parts and finished assembly than Ford or Chevy...

Oh, let's please not start that here!   :lol:   Ken, someone on e-rasn posted a link to an article about "American" parts last week.  I am proud to say that my Bonneville and Lou's Silverado had the next to the highest percentage of American parts (90%).  Only the Grand Prix (my last car) and the Monte Carlo had more (91%).  

I know it is only my opinion, but I still feel that if the profits go back to a foreign company, it's not an American vehicle no matter where it is assembled.

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2006, 03:02:27 PM »

Quote from: "Cheryl"

Oh, let's please not start that here!   :lol:   Ken, someone on e-rasn posted a link to an article about "American" parts last week.  I am proud to say that my Bonneville and Lou's Silverado had the next to the highest percentage of American parts (90%).  Only the Grand Prix (my last car) and the Monte Carlo had more (91%).  

I know it is only my opinion, but I still feel that if the profits go back to a foreign company, it's not an American vehicle no matter where it is assembled.

Cheryl

Hey Ken, I don't think Cheryl is buying your argument! :-D
 Sadly, I guess, in this morning's local paper, there is a story about the possibility that Honda will build another plant in Ohio. It is not official by any means, but the very POSSIBILITY has Ohio folks salivating. Before long, if not already, Honda will employ more people in Ohio than does GM. Having grown up in a GM town, where GM or NCR was THE place to work, the Idea of Honda taking over is really strange.
  On the other hand, I have only heard good things from people who work for Honda, including suppliers. So who knows.?:? :shock:

William James
SeattleFan
Sophmore

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2006, 04:30:56 PM »

Quote from: "Cheryl"
 Oh, let's please not start that here!   :lol:   Cheryl

Oh come on Cheryl.... wouldn't a good fight be fun   :twisted:

Seriously, no intent to start anything, as I do understand your desire for the profits to be generated for an American company.  For better or worse, things are all mixed up these days and there really is no "purity" any longer.  

Remember when TV's were all made in America?  When I was in grad school I worked at an audio dealer selling Yamaha.  At that time they had just started outsourcing their mfg from Japan to Korea and everyone wanted the Japanese assemblies.

Just don't get me started about call centers in India!!
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2006, 04:41:05 PM »

Oh come on Cheryl.... wouldn't a good fight be fun   :twisted:

No, then we'd be just like r.a.s.n. (unmoderated).   :lol:

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2006, 04:54:54 PM »

The talk of who has the more "American" car is fun, but I want to return the discussion to the defection of Dale Jarrett and what happens next.

UPS has still not decided whether to keep their sponsorship money with Robert Yates or take the money to Jarrett and Waltrip.  Until the decision is made, Yates can't take the next step.  If UPS stays, Yates will be pushed in a lot of different directions.  Do they hire a veteran like Ward Burton, then move up Stephen Leicht or Matt McCall?  Or do they jump at the chance to hire Casey Mears, the only marketable free agent in NASCAR?  After all, UPS has seen the rise of Denny Hamlin in the FedEx car; Hamlin has won the Budweiser Shootout and I believe he leads the rookie point standings.

If UPS goes, Yates will have to try to find someone else with big pockets to fund the team.  And would it be renumbered?  Will the #88 become the #28, just four years after #28 became #38? :roll:

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2006, 05:30:09 PM »

Good points, and questions, Desmond. As far as the free agency idea is concerned, don't forget what happened last year with Kurt and Jamie. So much for contractual obligations. :?
  On the other hand, Casey Mears might not be a bad pick. In a Yates car, I could see him doing at least as well as E Sadler. I hope UPS stays with Yates, but who knows.

William James
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: