November 18, 2017, 06:25:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Restarts  (Read 700 times)
Benson23Fan
Wiley Veteran

« on: May 12, 2006, 02:25:43 PM »

http://www.nascar.com/2006/news/features/viewers_guide/05/11/darlington/index.html

NASCAR on FOX producer Neil Goldberg has read the e-mails. He's heard the criticisms.

Why do we miss so many restarts?

"Telling the complete story of the race is very important to FOX," Goldberg said. "There is green-flag racing, crashes that bring out cautions and that lead to pit stops, and restarts. The challenge is to get all these components in with out missing any action.

"The reality of it is that it is a balancing act that becomes increasingly more difficult the shorter the track becomes."

Goldberg says at the end of the day, the decision of when to go to break is his. However, there are many factors that play into those decisions.

"In order to get all of our commercials in by the end of the race, we must try to get in a certain number of breaks per hour," he said. "What that means is, if we stay longer to tell an important story, our break will backlog and we will have to get it in later. If we do that too often we will be forcing break in at the end of the race."

As a result, Goldberg says a priority list comes into play.

"As the producer, my first choice is to always try to get as many breaks in during caution periods. Should a caution come out due to a crash, I will try to show the replay of the incident and get to break in time to be back for pit stops.

"Once pit stops are completed we have a quick decision to make -- we either stay for a restart or try to get another break in. There is a quick evaluation to be made in this situation: Can we get back before the the restart and where are we with our commercial obligations?

Goldberg says he makes every intention of returning to air in time for the green flag, but sometimes it's just impossible, particularly on short tracks.

"Every time we go to that break it is with the intention on getting back for the restart. There are times when NASCAR gets the track cleaned up more quickly than expected, this results in a missed restart," he said. "You will notice it happens far less often at the longer tracks. A 50-second pace lap versus a 2-minute pace lap is the reason why.

"In the end we try to manage the commercial inventory so we can tell the complete story leaving as few breaks as possible for the end of the race so you the viewer can enjoy the run to the checkered flag with as few commercial interruptions as possible."
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 03:41:23 PM »

I saw this article too, but I can't say that his excuse flies with me.  To race fans, the restart is a significant part of "the story."  I swear, I'd rather miss green flag pit stops any day over a restart where so much can happen.

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 04:35:42 PM »

Yep, me too.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 04:44:34 PM »

Quote from: "Cheryl"
I saw this article too, but I can't say that his excuse flies with me.  To race fans, the restart is a significant part of "the story."  I swear, I'd rather miss green flag pit stops any day over a restart where so much can happen.

Then again, every race now seems to be decided in the pits nowadays, right?  Just ask Kevin Harvick. :x

Getting back to the topic, these are the consequences of having to make back billions of dollars paid to the networks for broadcast rights.

That's why JW's absence from this site is so glaring.  We would like to have this year's numbers and next year's so we can confirm our suspicions about the increasing amount of commercial time.

I also predict that NBC will have the highest number of commercials ever when it resumes coverage on July 9 from Chicagoland.  It will try to make all the money it can before it walks away from NASCAR.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: