November 24, 2017, 07:12:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Anniversary  (Read 984 times)
marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« on: May 28, 2004, 11:53:35 PM »

It all started with a perm.

Sally needed me to perm her hair and Sunday, Memorial weekend, (I think it was 1998) was the only day my work schedule would allow.  She tricked me, and trapped me, and I have a feeling she knew exactly what she was doing.

The TV, as always, was tuned to racing.  I knew Sal was a die-hard Nascar fan, but that didn't mean anything to me.  I was into hockey and I was a one sport kind of girl.  This day, however, she wasn't watching the Nascar race, that would come later.  On this Sunday, she was watching the Indy 500.  As I rolled her hair, she explained to me the Tony Stewart was running in the 500, and then would helicopter to N. Carolina for the Coca-Cola 600.  I was intrigued to say the least.

My plans to perm her hair and leave fell by the way-side.  I sat on her couch and watched the 500, waited the few hours in between, and sat through the 600.  I never left my seat.  In just a matter of hours, a new Tony Stewart, and Nascar, fan was born.

In the weeks, months, years, that followed, I put my Sundays aside to watch the races with Sally.  I learned, either on my own, or with Sally's guidance, the difference between tight and loose (no fancy graphics needed, it wasn't that difficult a concept to grasp), learned about who needed sponsors, who was mad at whom, and why this team didn't make it into the race.

I remember the look of pride on Sally's face the day I shot up off of the couch and started yelling after a Jeff Burton pit stop "13.7 with a wedge adjustment?  That's a helluva pit stop!!"  Yes, a pit stop got me off of the couch.  I had it bad.

If it was Nascar, I was interested.  I remember sitting in front of my laptop messing around one day and jokingly telling Sally I was going to price race tickets.  She had been a long time fan and had never been to a race.  I didn't figure we would really go, but hell, I was curious.  Before I knew it, we were on our way to Martinsville to experience the most exciting race I have seen to date.  We had pit passes and got to stand within feet of the drivers.  So close, in fact, that Burton kicked my foot on his way back to his transporter during practice and Sally practically ran into Dale Jr. as he was making his way in on raceday.

The actual race was rained out and we had to come back on Monday.  My favorite driver (now being Dale Jr) hit everything including the tow truck and managed to finish a zillion laps down.  Ricky Craven beat Dale Jarrett at the line and I don't really care about either of those drivers, but it didn't matter.  I was witness, firsthand, to the greatest sport on earth.

I feel honored that my six years somehow qualify me as an old fan.  It's sad to know that in those short six years, Nascar has become almost unrecognizable.  Whenever I hear about these new "fan-friendly" tracks, I wonder to myself how anything behind a fence can be compared to the closeness we felt at Martinsville.  I was five feet behind Jr's car when he fired up the engine to go out to practice.  How can anything be considered better than this?

It's sad to think that the almighty dollar is taking over our sport.

As this weekend approaches, and I read all of the articles and posts trying to justify why they are destroying something that I love, I think back to the perm and how I almost messed it up because I wasn't paying attention to how much time had passed since I put the neutralizer on.  This weekend, my anniversary of Nascar, I'm sorry to say that I will be working, and will probably catch more of the 500 than the 600.

It isn't the same, and it isn't as if I've been watching for 30 years and am just opposed to change.  I am a fairly new fan, but as I stated, am honored to be able to hang with the veterans, the wiley ones, and the old sticks in the mud.  I'm just glad that I was able to see great racing at the Rock, wonderful finishes at the lady in black, and that we had the forsight to make our first race Martinsville, as it seems that track is going to be gone soon, too.  And I must admit, had the fateful perm happened anytime in the past two years, I probably would have done her hair and gone home.  It's just lost the excitement.
Vivian
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2004, 01:12:15 AM »

You still crack me up.  Happy Anniversary!   :wink:
marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2004, 06:14:43 PM »

Thanks Viv.  Ready for me to go back into hiberntion yet?  Bet you are.  Hee hee. :lol:
Vivian
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2004, 07:39:21 PM »

Don't be silly, girl!  I have thoroughly enjoyed you being back.  Wish more people would come back.

What I really want to know is why the heck no one has commented on how I first started watching football and zeroed in on cute butts until I could understand the game?   :?
marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2004, 12:55:07 AM »

Sorry, didn't respond, cuz, well, isn't that why we all first start watching sports?  Hee hee
sally
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2004, 02:58:18 AM »

Viv,  your comment reminded me that, years ago, I remember a comedienne saying whe was sitting with Georgia Rosenbloom years when she owned the Rams.  As they were in their offensive huddle, she claimed Georgia said, "And just think, all those tight ends are mine."
 Tongue Sal
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2004, 03:48:58 PM »

Quote from: "marrtinigirl"
Sorry, didn't respond, cuz, well, isn't that why we all first start watching sports?  Hee hee

Oh Staci!  Now, that remark is more likely to get you grounded than anything else you say that is actually racing related.   :lol:

While I prefer not to prolong any "butt" watching threads, I have a funny story from two weeks ago when we went to IRP for the Hooters race.  We always take a lot of pictures in the pits and try to get candid shots of the cars, crews or drivers during practice.  I was just wandering around during afternoon practice and wanted to get a shot of young driver,and his car.  I had the camera poised and all of a sudden he stooped down next to the left front tire.  I waited and waited for him to stand up and just got tired of waiting, so snapped the picture anyway.  Knowing with a digital camera, I could delete it later.  His Mom was standing inside the pit box right next to me and turns around and yells at me [over the sounds of the engines] "What are you doing?Huh?  Taking a picture of my son's  butt???"   :oops:   It was so funny but embarrassing!  Cause it was about the farthest thing from mind because he was so much younger than me.  Not sure how old he is, probably around 20 or so, but he really looked [to me] like he was 12 years old.   :lol:   But it sure was startling to get yelled at by his mother like I was a pervert or something.  Next morning I saw her when it was quiet before the race and apologized.  She just laughed it off, so  I guess she was just messing with me the day before.  

Cheryl
Lou
Administrator
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2004, 11:50:58 PM »

Yes, a pit stop got me off of the couch.  I had it bad.

Back then it was the excitement of being new to the sport and appreciating the athletic talents of the whole team. Nowadays, pit stops get you off the couch because it may be the only time you get to see a lead change during the race...

:wink:

Lou

marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2004, 01:10:22 PM »

This is very true, Lou.  That is, of course, if they actually show us the pit stops anymore and don't just go to commercial.

As I always say Fox's motto should be "Restart on Replay".
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2004, 01:33:42 PM »

As I always say Fox's motto should be "Restart on Replay".

That's a good one, Staci!  Sad, but true...and maybe add to it "Pass for the Lead on Replay."  

Glad to see you are still awake!   :lol:

Cheryl
marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2004, 01:35:58 PM »

Just glad not to be grounded....
marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2004, 01:36:41 PM »

And I'm a veteran!!  Yay!!
Cheryl
Hall of Fame