November 18, 2017, 03:02:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's the Difference?  (Read 1494 times)
sally
« on: May 12, 2006, 11:49:43 AM »

In light of our recent discussion about the perception of how we 'see' the races today versus those before the TV contract, I thought you might enjoy reading this article.

http://insiderracingnews.com/PK/051206.html

She seems to agree that it's the 'packaging' that has changed, thus the difference.

sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 01:03:13 PM »

Thanks SO much for posting that article by Patty Kay, Sally!  She hits every point that most of us here always bring up about today's so-called coverage!  I love her point that Ned and Benny didn't even begin to try and tell the drivers how to do their jobs back then.  Also, describing the action.  What a concept instead of the endless drivel from the Tower of Babel (yes in the last couple months I've come to understand why you came up with that phrase).  

I was AT that race and David Green went on his side and slid down the front straightaway right in front of where I was sitting.  I damn near climbed in the lap of a nice elderly gentleman on my left when it happened.  Not for fear for myself but for David.  I almost always face turn 4, so I guess that's why I chose the gentleman on my left instead of Lou on my right.   :oops:

Again, thanks for posting Patty Kay's words of wisdom.

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 04:54:11 PM »

Just read this article. Patty's problem is that she exhibits way to much logic and common sense in this piece. :-D
 And, of course, she is preaching to the choir with this gang.  She makes a multitude of good points, not the least of which is to "follow the money". (where have I heard that before?). How long before some "genius" really pushes the idea of giving us the option to avoid all the commercials by watching on pay per view or something like that? When the time is right, Baby Brian will bite into that idea like a thirsty man slugging down a cold beer. Oh well, by then I'll find something else to fret about!! :-D

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 05:26:02 PM »

Patty Kay wrote a fair-minded but blunt article.  I have finally found an advantage to today's coverage; the networks make sure to get in post-race interviews now.

She also reminded people that many races on ESPN were on tape, which is one reason TNN became interested in racing.  This is where Buddy Baker and Neil Bonnett--both of which have received high marks from old-time fans--broadcast.

By the way, TNN is now SpikeTV, which is sort of like going from the Carter Family Fold to a mosh pit. :evil:

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
sally
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 05:28:55 PM »

At least ESPN notified fans that the race was on tape.  With needing so many replays to show passes and restarts because they would interfere with a commercial, I'd venture to say that we see a whole lot more of the race on tape than we thenk we do!

sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 07:00:29 PM »

Quote from: "Desmond"
Patty Kay wrote a fair-minded but blunt article.  I have finally found an advantage to today's coverage; the networks make sure to get in post-race interviews now.

As with green-flag stops, I'd willingly trade a half an hour of post-race interviews for the ability to actually see more of the race (including restarts and coverage of only TV favorites all the time).  

As I remember, ESPN and TNN usually talked to 1-2 other drivers besides the winner (unless the race ran unusually long)  Same thing happens now if the race doesn't fit nicely into the [too short] allotted time slot.  NBC and Fox break away without talking to the entire top five or even the winner as in the case of the fall 2003 Charlotte race.  

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2006, 01:33:03 AM »

Sal, thanks for that link.  It is a great article.  I totally understand where she comes from.
sally
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2006, 11:45:30 AM »

One other 'advantage' to ESPN showing the races on tape is that it gave them the opportunity perhaps place the commercials in less intrusive places?

Was it just me, or was FX worse than usual for having the announcers exclaiming over something exciting happening on track, and the cameras being nowhere near it?  The missed restarts may not have been as bad, but how many lead changes did they have to replay?  One they missed was when they were NOT at commercial...they just didn't have the cameras on the right place, and had to replay the pass!  I find it particularly annoying tohave the camera stuck on a car running all by itself, and have the Tower of Babble describing some close racing on the track.  Too bad we didn't see it!

sal
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2006, 04:25:17 PM »

Sally,

Are you talking about last night's so-called Busch race?  I swear I dozed off much of the time as a self-defense mechanism towards the babble from the booth.  Even Lou asked could they use the term "full moon" any more times!  Jeez!  Fox is the king of overkill!  

I would've gladly kept the sound on MRN all night as they actually were rational and professional and talked about some of the Busch regulars instead of always being ga-ga over the whackers.  

I'm beginning to NOT look forward to tonight's broadcast as TV will continue to overdo the full moon crap (once they find something that amuses them, they always have to overdo it).  Also, I'm sorry but I'm getting a bit tired of all the Mother's Day references.  Many drivers mothers are there every week and Fox conveniently ignores them.  I guess I'm just not that big into the human interest stories.  I tune into watch racing, but TV seems to think the casual fan would be bored by that.

Cheryl
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006, 12:36:09 AM »

Quote from: "Cheryl"
Quote from: "Desmond"

As I remember, ESPN and TNN usually talked to 1-2 other drivers besides the winner
Cheryl

Not only did they talk to more drivers after the race but we heard from more drivers who dropped out and from more crew chiefs when a driver was doing well or had a problem.  If they did not speak to a driver who dropped out they told us who and why.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2006, 12:47:17 PM »

Quote from: "drpep (brian)

Not only did they talk to more drivers after the race but we heard from more drivers who dropped out and from more crew chiefs when a driver was doing well or had a problem.  If they did not speak to a driver who dropped out they told us who and why.

Excellent point, Brian!  Another thing Fox and NBC have no time for these days(unless it is one of the percieved favorites).  And a real pet peeve of mine.  I want to hear about EVERY driver and why he falls out of a race.  

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2006, 07:00:02 PM »

Quote from: "drpep (brian)"

I have noticed that the only time TV talks to the crew chiefs any longer is if there is a long delay, like a red flag.  Otherwise, the only ones we ever hear from are Larry Mac (who tells us what he would be doing) and Jeff Hammond (who explains all the parts of the car as all the worst times).

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
SeattleFan
Sophmore

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2006, 08:11:51 PM »

I think I had the race on for about a half an hour.  Based on the coverage, I think the only one racing was Jr.
Vivian
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2006, 09:27:01 PM »

Seattle Fan wrote:

I think the only one racing was Jr

I heard them mention Carl Edwards quite a few times also.  But they definitely have their favorites....no doubt
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: