November 24, 2017, 05:55:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shorter Race Distance  (Read 1269 times)
John
Wiley Veteran

« on: May 28, 2004, 03:55:52 AM »

I had mentioned this topic under the All-Star Challenge thread and since my attention span is not that great, I thought I better start another thread.  To put it quickly, I had suggested doing away with qualifing day and have qualifing races for a main feature.  I guess I wasn't the only one thinking along these lines.

http://www.nascar.com/2004/news/opinion/smith/05/26/smith_column/index.html

ommy Baldwin after Tropicana 400:  "This is NASCAR's world, we just live in it."
sally
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2004, 11:34:51 AM »

What a great way to neatly fit into the 3 hour format that television wants!  Let's see...Inday cars and Champ cars (or whatever they are called now) rarely race 500 miles.  Indy and MIS have the only 500 mile races for pointy cars, as Cheryl call them).  They are really setting the world on fire for fan interest, aren't they?  One of the things that makes Nascar unique is the fact that they race longer distances than almost an other type of racing.  F1 races for 2 hours.  Indy cars are ovals only.  Champ cars race 300 miles on oval, max, and road courses.  No other drivers are expected to have the versatility of a Cup driver.  That's why I hope they don't drop the road courses.  In fact, considering the weather in the northwest, I think the smart money would be on a road course there, where they can use those rain tires that Goodyear schlepps around every year!

Yes, some of the races seem interminable, but that's the way it is.  Or, as Nascar loves to say, it is what it is.  I still think it's better than any other type of racing.  And I will probably watch the Indy 500 from habit, I watch F1 to see if anyone can beat Michael Schumacher, and even enjoy the occasional drag race.  But nothing used to float my boat like Nascar!
Sally
John
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2004, 01:44:51 PM »

What does everyone do during the middle part of the race when they are fighting themselves from nodding off?

ommy Baldwin after Tropicana 400:  "This is NASCAR's world, we just live in it."
sally
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2004, 06:28:04 PM »

John, if you're at the track, that's when you go stand in line for the john or food!  Of course, as soon as you do, something interesting happens on the track.  Or, you can watch the drunks try to stumble past you for their 14th trip to the bathroom before the half way point.  Not as handy as running to the kitchen at home, but ya just got to bear with it.  Most races seem to have a pattern...lots of excitement for the first 75-100 laps, things settle down, then it picks up again with the same # of laps to go.  You know,  kinda like a football game?
 Smiley Sally
Vivian
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2004, 08:55:00 PM »

I switch to other races (any kind) if they are on or to football if it is the season.  Otherwise, I watch every minute unless I am too tired and happen to doze off.  Sometimes the time does clash with other types of racing and since I am not set up to tape a different channel than the one I am watching on satellite, I just switch back and forth.  Replays always let me see what I might have missed.  And it seems that all broadcasts have recaps as to how they got to that point ever so often.   Cool
marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2004, 11:09:59 PM »

I'm sorry John, but you make me laugh.  In your other post, you fully support the move out west to the most boring tracks out there, and now you want to know what people do to keep from nodding off?  I'm sorry, but the only tracks I nod off during are California, Vegas, Pheonix, Chicago, Texas---See a pattern here?  I don't plan on doing anything to keep from nodding off, I plan on turning off the TV and going to sleep.  I refuse to support this move by leaving the TV on while I sleep and giving them the ratings points they need.  Forget that, I want them to know they bored me to death.

But, sure, I can see your point.  Let's move these races to BORING tracks and then shorten them so we don't have to be bored for too long.  Good idea.  Why don't we just make every race a 10 lap shoot-out, then we don't have to worry about losing those people with short attention spans.

I'm sorry, if the racing is good, every lap counts.  When you start looking for other entertainment while the race is on, perhaps the problem is with the product, not the viewer.

Perhaps if you are so bored with racing, maybe it isn't the sport for you.  Try drag racing is you just need to watch something with cars, it's quite short.
John
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2004, 01:15:24 AM »

marrtinigirl, I can't see how you think I support the move out west unless when I said I was glad to see Rockingham go.  If that was the case, they could have put that race anywhere and that still does mean I support where they put it.  However, switching Rockingham to California is one snooze fest for another.  A no win situation.  I always say, if there are less than 15 cars on the lead lap, it was not good competition; it was a parade!

The reason I asked what people do when they nod off during the middle of the race was to see if everyone supports these 400 & 500 mile races, are they supporting them all the way through.  I've read here that some people were planting flowers a few weeks ago, while others were doing something else.  If people are doing other things, then how can you say that these longer distance races are the way to go.  It was a trick question.  I made you laugh and you entertained me by you missing my point.

You mention the tracks you nod off at, I nod off at tracks like Dover, Rockingham and Atlanta (even before they re-configured it).  But you know what?  I still leave the channel on despite the lack of competition on the track because I don't care for drag racing or football.  I guess that helps lengthen my "short attention span"! :lol:

marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2004, 06:34:19 PM »

Please excuse me, John, I guess I did miss your point, as you missed mine.  If the racing is good, if the track is good, I DON'T nod off during the race, I watch every last lap and every last replay.  I watch pre-race, I watch post race, I watch victory lane and trackside.  Unfortunately, though, this is the problem.  With all of the changes, the new cookie cutter tracks, the cloning of the races, there really isn't excitement at the beginning, the middle, or the end.  Plus, with the TV coverage that we are getting these days, they don't talk about anything but themselves, so even if there was something exciting happening on the track, we wouldn't know about it.

I stood through 500 miles at Martinsville, so yes, I support these longer races.  I have already warned the people I work with that my butt will be planted in the chair in front of the TV for the entire 600.  Yes, longer races on quality tracks, give me every last green, yellow, or white lap, it doesn't matter, I watch them all.  Water the racing down and move it to tracks with no competition, run five laps, i don't care, they're all boring.

I guess I thought you supported the move because of your support of the article.  You say you've been watching for 20 years, yet you don't seem to like anything about racing.  So, may I ask, why do you watch?
John
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2004, 09:25:24 PM »

All I said about the article was that it was an interesting idea  and I suggested something like this after the All-Star Race as a topic to debate rather than complaining about something.  Just because I put the link here does not mean I support, all I was saying is that there are alternatives, what do you think?  Here is my opinion, what's your's?

As far as watching the sport for 20 years and not liking anything about it, I guess you didn't read everything in that other thread.  I said I watch because it is my sport and I don't complain about it!  Yet the feeling around here is that with the changes being made in the sport recent years, most people do not approve and there seems to be continous complaining.  I'm asking the same question to them that you are asking me.  I guess my mistake was that I put two different articles under two different threads so there would be no confusion.  That didn't work did it.

marrtinigirl, can't I bring up a topic for the sake of discussion without being branded?  Or is the place of this message board just to complain?  If anything, I'm middle of the road and that is why I like playing the devil's advocate.  I'll just respond to that to save further confusion.

marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2004, 01:13:00 AM »

Ok, John, I surrender.  I apologize for the fact that I am a bit testy and seem to have jumped in with both feet and made assumptions that didn't need to be made.  

No, I believe the purpose of this message board is to be able to express your opinions, and some of us don't really have any positive opinions at this time.

You cannot, however, say that you just came in here to post your opinions and ask for ours, because when Sally posted hers, you attacked her and made comments about her soapbox.  You cannot say you opened anything for debate, because when she said she liked a good debate, you said that no one offered one here.  So, apparently we were supposed to read your opinions and then just keep ours to ourselves.  Then, you admittedly offered up a "trick question" to see if we would admit that we don't watch every minute of the race just so that you could make us look stupid when we argued with shortening them.

I didn't brand you.  i read what you wrote and responded.  Pardon me if my short attention span didn't keep me interested in every "lap" of your posts.

I'm sorry Cheryl, I know I am grounded.  Back to hibernation I go.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzStaci
Vivian
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2004, 05:18:32 PM »

Staci, Don't you dare stay away.  We are not bashing, we are just expressing our opinions and they happen to differ. Quite a bit at times. Your posts have been extremely interesting and some are so funny.  So stay, please..... :cry:
marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2004, 01:19:28 PM »

mmmmmmmmm  That was a good long nap.  I am back.  As I went to work Friday and didn't come back home til Tues, I knew it was a good time to take a break and regroup as I wouldn't really have time to post.

And Vivian, what do you mean, some of them are funny?  I didn't realize I was so amusing to everyone!  You take me as a joke?

Good, then I am doing something right. :lol:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: