November 19, 2017, 01:31:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will NASCAR live or die?  (Read 2420 times)
John
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2004, 09:45:04 PM »

I was wondering the same thing whether Cheryl was around.  I'll tell everyone this incase things are getting out of hand.  I'll stop trying to encourage debate by bring up alternative ideas rather than just a place to vent.  If everyone is happy with the status quo, then so be it.  I will head to the garage area and park it for the rest of the race.

Keep this in mind, for as many people that come to this website (which seems like a lot) there are only 40 some people registered here on this message board.  Why are there not more?  I like to try to bring different ideas here to break the same old routine of venting and everyone else jumping on the band wagon.   Maybe other people would like to join in if they could bring their different opinions without being viewed as off the wall.

Sorry Sally if you felt you had to take the high road, but you have your opinions and I have mine and I guess there is only room for one.  You were here before me, please come back, I won't be here.

Thanks folks, it's been fun.

ommy Baldwin after Tropicana 400:  "This is NASCAR's world, we just live in it."
sally
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2004, 11:28:12 PM »

Just sittin here with the cat, watching the busch race and Happy Hour, biting my tongue.  
getting ready to watch Pit Bulls, and trying not to foment debate, which seems to be a no-no.
Sal :roll:
marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2004, 01:01:59 AM »

I wasn't trying to be testy, I'm sorry.  I wasn't really, well, perhaps, but you know, it's just the frustration about the whole state of Nascar that is getting to me, not really what John is saying.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2004, 03:12:22 PM »

Quote from: "John"
I was wondering the same thing whether Cheryl was around.  I'll tell everyone this incase things are getting out of hand.  I'll stop trying to encourage debate by bring up alternative ideas rather than just a place to vent.  If everyone is happy with the status quo, then so be it.  I will head to the garage area and park it for the rest of the race.

Keep this in mind, for as many people that come to this website (which seems like a lot) there are only 40 some people registered here on this message board.  Why are there not more?  I like to try to bring different ideas here to break the same old routine of venting and everyone else jumping on the band wagon.   Maybe other people would like to join in if they could bring their different opinions without being viewed as off the wall.

Sorry Sally if you felt you had to take the high road, but you have your opinions and I have mine and I guess there is only room for one.  You were here before me, please come back, I won't be here.

Thanks folks, it's been fun.

Well, first off, no I wasn't "around," since Thursday night.  I "voted" with my dollars and instead of going to Charlotte as I have done the last 15 years, I went to Jennerstown, PA for the Hooters race this weekend.  I did something besides what John calls just complaining about NASCAR, I went to a race where the series officials appreciated me being there and told me so.  

Secondly, I guess my idea of debate is where everyone is free to state their opinions even if they don't agree with other people.  John, I'm sorry you don't feel that is debate.  It just happens many of us here have the same opinion of the watering down of the sport in the last years years.  Not one thing can be attributed to it.  I don't blame it all on TV, but (as I've said many times before), but they are a contributing factor. I think NASCAR went wrong when it took it's stock public in the early 90s and started being more concerned about dividends to it's stockholders, instead of providing good races for it's fans.

As to the number of registered members on this forum, Lou and I know that it has more to do with the fact we require folks to provide a valid email address to contribute.  In today's internet society, people would much rather be able to hide behind a fake alias and make "hit and run" comments without really being part of a group.  When I decided to have this forum, I was adamant that I would not have the kind of people we had at Perfect Paranoia the first year (when they weren't required to register) and the same kind that are on a Hooters message board.  If people can't be responsible contributers and not just "flaming" network folks, drivers, or other members while not even providing a valid email address, I don't want them here.  That may sound cold, but that's the way I feel.  

But I think I've been through this whole thing before when John said we have few members because we don't want different opinions.  That is definitely not the case.  We just want members who will stand behind their opinions, whether everyone agrees with them or not.  To me, anonymous posters aren't willing to stand up to their opinions.  I think those of us here, all stand behind their opinions, but are willing to listen to other's points of view.

So, John, if you want to leave, that's your option.  But be clear, we don't want to see you go just because your opinions aren't the same as some others.  

And, lastly, for brevity's sake, I pretty much think Sally and Vivian and Staci have said everything I felt about Mr. Poole's article.  Ask Sally how hot I was when I first read his article on Thursday.  I don't care where the races are as long as they are competitive.  IF the races at NH, CA and Phoenix were MY OPINION of competitive, I'd be happy to watch them on TV.  I drove 8 hours to the Rock and was happy to do so because I saw a quality product when I got there.  It's not about "convenience" as Mr. Poole implies, believe me.  It's about competition.

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2004, 04:11:28 PM »

I'll miss John.  His opinions weren't ours (for the most part) but he seemed to be a pretty good guy.  I can't believe he would walk away like that.  Please come back!

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2004, 05:37:48 PM »

Desmond, I will miss John also.  He brought up some different points that made one stop and think.  I did think we were having debates and I respect everyone's opinion even if I don't agree.  I wish people would learn to communicate and not get huffy when someome questions their views.  I think we have had several good discussions going on lately and I thoroughly enjoyed all of them.  

Cheryl, I thought we were in debates also.  We had a couple of good threads going, imo.  Don't know what went wrong.  I think what we have to remember is that to each of us, our opinion is the most important one at the time and we deep down want everyone to feel the same and sometimes when they don't, we don't know how to react.  And sometimes if it effects us to an anger point, then I think we need to learn to shine it on and go forward with something else or to another thread.  But that oes not mean my way is right for everyone.

Now, Everyone Else...Smile, be happy and if you don't agree with my opinion then I am going to sit out on the back porch and sniff pitch.  Wahhh...Seriously, I don't think anyone has really said anything wrong since no one has bashed anyone.  We are all just healthy and some of us more opinionated than others.  But, I know we can deal with it.   Cool
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: