May 24, 2018, 12:42:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there a "brain drain?"  (Read 360 times)
Desmond
All-Star

« on: April 19, 2006, 06:19:31 PM »

In the world of technology, a "brain drain" occurs when there are not enough skilled workers to meet demand.

Is something like this happening in NASCAR?

Consider the evidence:
--Short tracks across the country (North Wilkesboro, Mesa Marin, Jax Raceways) are closing down.
--Car counts on those tracks that are still open are lower than before.
--The increased popularity of NASCAR on television has not translated into more interest from young people to adopt auto racing.
--The interest that was expected from minorities and women have not materialized.

What is the biggest reason for this?  Is it the increased cost of racing, even at the lowest levels?  Is it NASCAR's insistence on more Saturday night races?  Or is it something else?

Tell us what you think.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 09:14:43 PM »

Des wrote:

The increased popularity of NASCAR on television has not translated into more interest from young people to adopt auto racing.

I think we have to go back to my favorite theory: "You are what you were when"

Younger attendees and younger watchers of races are being conditioned to be non creative about their individual drivers or cars because they are not being taught to recognize all the drivers at the track and since tv does not give a verbal starting line up nor do they talk about all drivers - just a select few; they just follow a que.  At the track, the younger attendee hears the majority of the cheers or boos of the crowd and whoever they are with and only follow those leads as to who is good or not.  So when they decide on a favorite driver for themselves it is because that when that opinion was made, they are now just following in the footsteps of what they have been taught or learned along the way by the conditioning that was done...

Make sense???  Does to me.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 04:29:40 PM »

I sure do, Vivian.  Also, NASCAR is not doing a good job of marketing the sport to young people.

There is no equivalent to NBA Inside Stuff or the NFL's Under the Helmet, nor is there any sponsorship of youth events except for the All-American Soap Box Derby.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: