November 20, 2017, 04:46:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Night Races  (Read 2750 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: April 18, 2006, 02:35:52 PM »

Here's a good article from Scene Daily on the disadvantages of so many night races:

http://blog.scenedaily.com/index.php/2006/04/17/bring-on-the-night/

I couldn't agree more with all the author's points!  I heard someone on a radio talk show on XM point out that ten years ago there were only 4 night races on the Cup schedule and now there are 10 or 11.  I know a lot of folks like nighttime races, but frankly I have a hard time staying up for them anymore (maybe it's the quality of the racing we get these days too).

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 04:42:48 PM »

One of my fellow West Coast race fans, Tara, actually likes more night starts because she doesn't have to wake up early to catch them (10 am or 10:30 am Pacific time for Sunday afternoon races from the Eastern time zone).  And, personally, I don't mind either.

Then again, please understand what is going on here.  It is all about ratings.  Pure and simple.  The networks can charge more money and NASCAR can claim more prestige.

As Bob wrote, this is all going on at a time when short tracks are finding decreased audiences, if they are still open.  (There are also fewer race car drivers out there now, but that's another story for another thread.)

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 05:11:47 PM »

Quote from: "Desmond"
One of my fellow West Coast race fans, Tara, actually likes more night starts because she doesn't have to wake up early to catch them (10 am or 10:30 am Pacific time for Sunday afternoon races from the Eastern time zone).  And, personally, I don't mind either.car drivers out there now, but that's another story for another thread.)

You guys obviously have a different idea of "waking up early" than us old folks on the east coast.   :shock:   10 a.m. is definitely not early in my book...If I slept that late (even on a weekend), I'd have to be near death.   :lol:

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 09:21:56 PM »

Wow!  And I felt lazy when I slept in till 7:15 this weekend!  I'm not used to having to stay up till after midnight, whether it's for a race or what!  Guess the networks figure that, with all the 'easterners' nodding off during the telecast, it will keep the ratings up, since we won't be awake to turn the race off and go to bed?

sal
Vivian
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 11:02:30 PM »

My dog doesn't usually let me sleep past 6:45.. She needs to read the morning news outside to see what visitors came by during the night and then have her toast.  Sometimes we get up, start making toast, read the headlines, eat the toast and go back to bed until maybe 7:45 and then read the rest of the stories; but if we do it that way we miss the sun coming up over the mountains and tree tops....

Yes, I do mean my dog, Missy....
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 12:47:46 AM »

I know what you mean, Vivian.  Pets do not understand weekends.  IF I should sleep past my weekday alarm time of 5:45, Travis makes sure and wakes me up by 6 a.m. on Sat and Sun.  But he thinks he's helping me out because he doesn't want me to oversleep and be late for work.   :lol:

But seriously, even if I lock him out, I rarely can sleep past 7:00 on a weekend.  

Cheryl
SeattleFan
Sophmore

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 02:02:37 AM »

I hate to say this...

But isn't getting up at 7A on the weekends a sign that we are becoming like our parents..

AHHHHHHH  

Cheesy  Cheesy
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 01:15:45 PM »

Quote from: "SeattleFan"
I hate to say this...

But isn't getting up at 7A on the weekends a sign that we are becoming like our parents..

Oh, Ken, THAT happened a long time ago... :lol:

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 08:21:04 PM »

Even though both our parents have passed on, Don told me about a year ago that it is amazing that the older he (Don) gets, the smarter his Dad becomes.

Amazing, huh?  But so true for most of us...
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 11:05:16 PM »

Cheesy  Cheesy to be honest i like night races.i think that it's good for most people(including me) because this allows us to do more things in the afternoon.maybe instead of an 8pm start time maybe 7pm would help east coast people.personally i don't mind stasying up late on the weekends because that's weekends are for. Cheesy  Cheesy
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2006, 04:26:43 PM »

Ron, you must not have a dog! :lol:

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2006, 04:52:43 PM »

no i don't Cheesy  Cheesy
azbobbybooshay10
Veteran

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2006, 08:37:03 AM »

OK, I have a slight rant to make here (and its not against anyone on this forum, I must say beforehand!)

I personally am a fan of the night races, and I always have been. I'm more of a "night time person", but thats probably just because of my age (20). One thing I never have understood is the complaint of some of the East Coast folks about having to stay up late. In order for fans on the west coast to enjoy the spectacle of running under the lights, the race has to start later. We can't help the fact that 6pm our time is 9pm your time. In order to get darkenss here, it will be kinda late back east. Why should us fans on the west coast not be able to have any night races, because its "too late" on the east coast?

I guess it goes into a slightly larger gripe I have about the east coast being the "preffered" coast when it comes to television broadcasts. If you watch the Weather Channel, they spend about 55 minutes each hour talking about east coast weather, no matter whether its 20 below with 10 feet of snow, or 75 and sunny. They always seem to lead off with "Well it was a wonderful day to enjoy the New York Orange picking festival....." Then they go into giving websites for said orange picking festival, what time it is, how much it is to get in, etc. Then they'll finish just before the commercial with "Oh, and 75 feet of snow fell on Los Angeles today."

It just seems to me, as someone who's grown up out west, that everything seems to be "focused" on the East coast, and those folks back east get "preferred" treatment. Why should the west coast folks get shortchanged, just because it isn't "optimal" time for east coast folks?

Now I'm not saying "screw the east coast, I want it MY WAY". I realize there is a large number of viewers back east, and by no means am I saying we should disregard their opinions. But I think that it should be a two-way street. There are MANY Na$car fans out here on the west coast, and I'm sure a good fair share of them enjoy night racing. Why should those fans be left out, just so the east coast isn't inconvenienced by the time difference?

Now I could see the problem with the 500 mile races that are out west (Fontana) being held at night, because those races do take a large amount of time. But the Phoenix race is possibly the "shortest" non-short track race of the year. Its only 312 laps, 312 miles. Vegas is 400 miles, Richmond is 400 laps,  Charlotte is 600 miles. The race is already quite short (Busch races are almost this long, lol), so it doesn't take the time that a 500 mile Fontana race usually does. I realize last year the Phoenix night race went WAY late, but thats because God thought it would be funny if one of the 3 days out of the year it rains here, was the day they tried running the NASCAR race. :lol:

Once again, I must clarify that this is in NO WAY directed towards anyone here! Its just a general feeling I have, that I've expressed on many a racing forum when the "Its too late for the east coast" thing comes up.

[/rant] I hope Cheryl doesn't send me to detention for this..... :oops:
Vivian
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2006, 08:44:13 PM »

Bobby, I am going to take a chance here and say that I don't think there was any problem with your post. If I am wrong, then Cheryl can also reprimand me.   Wink   We all have to rant sometimes about something.

Sometimes I do understand the situation with the time frames for each coast.  Other times I don't because I don't always keep regular hours during the weekend which is when the races are mostly at night.  Usually on Friday or Saturday night I am always up late.  I like to do my yard work and other household work in the a.m. rather than afternoon or evening so it does work okay for me.  And I do a lot of recording and try hard not to hear who won before I watch.  It really doesn't matter when they are run or broadcast to me.  Although it is easier for me to watch later in the day.

I think it is not necessarily only the hour that it is broadcast, it is also the fact that racing just ain't what it used to be that gets to us sometimes.  Some of the east coast fans stay up late only to see one more follow the leader race without much competition and they hear the announcers talking about the same drivers over and over and pretty soon it takes it toll and they possibly think they could have been sleeping rather than watching another boring race...JMO...I am sure someone will add to this and let us know their feelings.  But then we do have to keep in mind that there are morning people and evening people, no matter where we live; and just because some of us like it one way does not mean we are right and everyone else is wrong.   Cool
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2006, 09:35:47 PM »

Very astute, Vivian. Really, I mean it.
  I was about to point out how late this week's races at Phoenix are starting, but now I will not try to make any snide remarks! :-D
 So, Cheryl, turn on the TIVO or whatever and get a good night's sleep!
 Dick,...ZZZZzzzzz........(snore). :-D

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: