November 21, 2017, 01:22:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi. My name is Lou and....  (Read 1886 times)
Lou
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« on: April 14, 2006, 01:50:23 AM »

I'm a race-a-holic.

While I'm not a new member, I was forced at gunpoint to add this post. The mean mommie really is....

Watching the Daytona slingshot on ABC sports was my introduction to racing. Years in the Navy eventually introduced me to racing in a more personal basis. My ex-wife's brother was an ARCA driver (Bob Schacht) and eventually led to my first trip to a racetrack. Pocono in 1983 where I watched Bob win and got into the pits to see NASCAR drivers practicing. Buddy Baker in the Crisco car, Greg Sacks in a pink car, Earnhardt in Wrangler, Bill in Coors...

A passing interest became a weekly obsession in front of the TV and I was even one of the few fools who spent money on a pay-per-view race from Pocono.  The first NASCAR race I went to was sometime in the mid 80's at Dover. All I remember is that I needed to work on my beer consumption level if I were ever to blend in with the crowd.  I have succeeded.

From sleeping in the back of my truck, then eventually to a tent, a hotel room here and there, a class C motorhome, and now my second 5th wheel trailer later, I still enjoy the hell out of being at the racetrack. Nowadays the tracks are all 1/2 mile short-tracks and following the USAR Hooters Pro Cup Series, but it's great racing!

Having attended somewhere around 200+ NA$CAR, BGN, or Truck races I feel I qualify as one of those "old fans" that NA$CAR is trying hard to rid themselves of.

Favorite driver - Mark Martin. After watching him roll his Stroh's Light Ford at Sears Point, jump out and run back down pit road to curse out his crew for not putting the lugnuts on, I figured I could handle that sort of desire in a driver. I think he's lost a bit of that fire over the years but I still cheer for him nonetheless. Second favorite would probably be Sterling Marlin, despite what over-the-line comments some lesser capable driver may have recently uttered. (comments approved after much arguing with the mean mommie censor)

New drivers I like are Clint Bowyer (can't go wrong with anyone named Clint...) and Carl Edwards. I know people think Carl may too goody for his own good but damn it's nice to see a driver with a smile on their face and hear someone loving racing instead bitching about everything under the sun.

As for the Mean Mommie and me, we lived 30 miles apart yet had to travel 800 miles to Talladega to actually meet each other face to face for the first time. Between her tickets and my tickets, we had a regular NA$CAR schedule of a dozen races a year.

About 4 years ago we started going to more and more USAR races after watching them on TV for a few years. Eventually we swapped our NA$CAR races for 16-17 Hooters Pro Cup races each season and we have ZERO regrets.

Being the geek that I am both professionally and personally, I just had to start a site to cover the Hooters series since nobody else did. It (http://www.usarfans.com) has grown into a fulltime "hobby" and source of much fun and enjoyment. I still watch all the NA$CAR races on TV but I'm just as likely to be dozing off on my non-speedcouch during most of them, only to be woken by Cheryl screaming over some bad TV coverage or the rare exciting racing action.

My fingers hurt from two-fingered typing now so if you want to know more, wait for the book to come out on Amazon.com

Lou

Vivian
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 01:59:40 AM »

Do we need to pre order the book and put down a deposit?   :-D
Lou
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 02:01:26 AM »

Quote from: "Vivian"

I accept cash, PayPal, or credit cards. I'll hold a copy for you.

old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 02:41:53 PM »

Quote from: "Vivian"

Shoot fire, Viv, I tought lou was gonna pay us to read it! :-D

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Vivian
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006, 07:55:24 PM »

Lou, I think Dick has the best idea.  Come on, ante up... :-D
Pages: [1]   Go Up