November 18, 2017, 11:17:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Okay, I'll Start  (Read 6985 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: April 13, 2006, 03:39:49 PM »

If anyone's read my bio on the main Speedcouch page, this is probably old news, but I thought I'd kick off this new forum for everyone.

I've been following NASCAR since the 1988 Daytona 500.  Really got hooked about mid-season in 1988 and never missed a race on TV from that time until 2004, I think.  I'm a big fan of Pontiacs.  Unfortunately they aren't in NASCAR anymore.  Love the underdog drivers, but also some of the successful drivers as well.  I suppose one reason I liked Pontiacs is because they were always the underdog brand in NASCAR.  

I've been to most of the tracks on the NASCAR circuit, but this year have chosen to vote with my dollars and stop attending races live.  This is because I don't agree with most of the decisions make by the sanctioning body in the last few years that got rid of a lot of traditions in the sport.  

I'm really only a fan of stock car racing; everything else is kind of boring to me.  But love the Busch Series (without the whackers), the Truck Series, and loved ASA (when it was around), ARCA, and my current favorite the USAR Hooters Pro-Cup Series.  That series and it's drivers are really what NASCAR probably was about 30 years ago (before it got too big).  

I live in central Maryland all my life halfway between Baltimore and Washington.  I work full-time in the Human Resources field.

I created Speedcouch in 2002 because I had been writing race reviews for another site and decided I wanted creative control, so my husband, Lou, helped me set up my own site.  We expanded to include this forum in 2004 so other viewers can also tell the TV networks what they like and don't like about today's TV coverage.

I honestly like most of the drivers out there, so that's why I feel very strongly about this forum not becoming a place to bash drivers.  Those of you who have been around a while know I'm pretty serious about that rule.   :lol:

Come on everyone else, tell us a little about yourself!

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 04:53:11 PM »

I am 34 years old and have only been a hardcore fan of NASCAR for the last three years.  Before then, I had some familiarity with the sport, but I followed other sports more closely.

I worked for a nonprofit organization for four years until I was laid off at the end of 2004.  Since then, I have worked only three months out of the entire time.  I reprocessed documents originally created by subprime lenders (eg Ameriquest and Countrywide).

My hobby is creating worlds of make-believe on the web.  You know about the web site I have that "honors" sports and entertainment "icon" Buddy Wayne Barefoot.  That site spun off from another site about an "island" located at zero degrees longitude and zero degrees latitude.  Geography students know that place better as the intersection of the equator and prime meridian.  That first site, unfortunately, no longer exists; the company, which was a division of Disney, has shut its doors.

I would love to work again, buy at least an apartment, and have a family of my own.  I also want to save enough money to go to my favorite race tracks: Bristol, Martinsville and Darlington.  Of course, at least one visit to the Daytona 500 would be nice too.

I attended a practice session of the 2005 Grand Prix of Long Beach, which is an event in the ChampCar World Series.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
sally
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 06:01:11 PM »

I'm Sally, and I live in Davison, Michigan, about 60 miles north of Dee-troit.  I'm one of theose 'old timers' who used to sit thru curling to see 20 minutes of Nascar on Wide World.  I have no idea where I got my love for stock car racing, other than blaming getting my driver's license during the Muscle Car Days.

I used to watch the Indy 500 faithfully, but have no real interest in the open wheel cars.  They just aren't cars to me.  I do watch the F1 races, since the Speed announcers are a treat to listen to!

I'm disgusted with the number of 'Buschwhackers' these days, and am finding myself less and less interested in Cup racing with all the 'New Age' crap that has happened in the last 6 years.

sally
Vivian
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 09:38:12 PM »

I'm Vivian or Viv for short and I live in Oregon with my hubby, Don.  

I became interested in racing since the late 1950's.  I lived in Orlando so went to Daytona whenever possible, plus all kinds of local tracks.  I even worked at a local track for a while.  Moved to CA and met Don who raced motorcyles at the time.  Then he switched to stock cars.  He was good at all the local tracks he raced at and still holds the track record at one of them.  I like all kinds of racing.  Guess my love of it came when I was fortunate enough to meet some of the pro drivers at Daytona through our local track promoter.  I also worked at a Pontiac dealership for 5 years until I moved to CA.  During that time I developed a condition that is called "GIMB" (gas in my blood) which has never left me.  

I consider myself a true fan of racing although normally stock car has always been my favorite.  As I said before, I like ALL racing.

I also don't like the way Nascar has changed the past few years.  I like racing, not a 'show' or 'entertainment' and that is what Nascar has become.
derbyit857
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 10:05:17 PM »

I'm Craig.  Originally from the Belleville area of Ontario, but now living 40 minutes north of the "big smoke" (AKA Toronto).  I've been married to my college sweetheart Janice for 7 years this year (September 11th of all days!).  We have two great kids.. Mckenna who is 4 and Aidin who is now 6 weeks old.

I've watched NASCAR as a casual fan all through the 1990s and I believe it was 1999 where I started watching it full time.  I loved going to a lot of the local short track racing held in Brighton (dirt track just outside of Belleville) when I was a kid.  I still occasionally go to some of the paved local tracks north of me (Barrie Speedway and Sunset Speedway) to watch the action.

I've been working at the same job since I graduated from college (3 year Information Systems program) in 1997.  I do technical support and programming for an accounting software program in Markham.

I'm a dedicated CAR NUT.  My summer fun is going to and (now) participating in classic car shows.  My father recently left me his beautiful 1964 Oldsmobile Cutlass Sports Coupe which will allow me to participate in the local car shows instead of just going to them to look.  I am also trying to restore a 1972 Plymouth Satellite Sebring of my own.  My other summer fun is driving in 4 cylinder demolition derbies.  Why 4 cylinder?  8 cylinder cars are just too hard and expensive to find now thanks to the salt they use on the roads.  Plus they are a ton of fun to drive.  I've been doing demolition derbies since I was old enough to, each and every year since 1993.  My website is at:

http://www.angelfire.com/on/IDerby857

The races I've been to in my lifetime so far are Charlotte in 2001, Martinsville in 2005 and Bristol in 2006.

As for the current NASCAR product, I am disappointed by all the Cup guys in the Busch series pushing the small teams out.  I am also sick of all the "entertainment" gimmicks in the races now.  Gimmicks shouldn't take away from the finished product!!
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 11:09:40 PM »

Well, I'm the old guy on this board. I live in The Dayton, Ohio area, which includes a lot of race fans. I have been a car nut for as long as I can remember.
  My introduction to Nascar goes way back to before I  was old enough to drive. I used to read stuff by "Uncle Tom McCahill" in Mechanix Illustrated. He was good friends with the France family and participated in the Daytona Beach time trials several time in the 50's. He was a very entertaining writer. He described one ill handling car as being as "wiggly as a bowl full of jello". :-D
  Being a Ford fan, I followed the stock car races prety closely in the print media till the 70's when family and professional matters just didn't allow time for much racin'.
 Then when Awesome Bill Elliott brought Ford new life in Nascar in the early 80's, I began to follow it again.
 Now, Ireally like all the opportunities to meet up with, evev if only electronically, so many race fans, and chat. Lots of fun. But things like the news today that Nascar thinks it has to intervene in the brief squabble between Biffle's girlfriend and Kurt's fiance' drive me up the wall. Get a life, people. So I'm losing interest in the big money stuff, and am going to try the Hooters series and others as time allows.
  I've been to everything from the Daytona 500 to short track races to the Rolex and an F-1 race. I still like pure stock car racing the best.
  It has been my pleasure to get to know you folks over the years. You guys and gals are the greatest!
  Dick Cheesy

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2006, 02:11:37 PM »

This is fun!   :-D   Thanks to everyone who has participated so far!  I've learned more about Craig than I knew before and he's the only on the forum I've met (besides Lou and Ken).   :lol:

FYI, I got the idea for the "intro" forum from a Pontiac Bonneville group I joined a few weeks ago.  If I'd known it would add so much to our forum, I would've created this thread a long time ago!  

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2006, 02:49:36 PM »

Cheryl, my mother had a dark red 65 Bonneville, a really big tank. For some reason, my sisters liked that car and my younger sister currently has 2 (count 'em) two Bonnevilles. I don't like her newer one-- can't get comfortable in it.
  I was in a Pontiac showroom once and was looking at a new Grand Prix, when the fpllowing exchange  took place:
   SALESLADY- What do you think of the new G P?
   DICK--Not much, I remember when a G P was a real car.
   Saleslady--OH! So what do you drive??
    Dick-- That white Mark IV out there.
    Saleslady-- Oh, I see.
   :-D

William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2006, 03:11:07 PM »

Quote from: "old hot rodder"
Cheryl, my mother had a dark red 65 Bonneville, a really big tank. For some reason, my sisters liked that car and my younger sister currently has 2 (count 'em) two Bonnevilles. I don't like her newer one-- can't get comfortable in it.

Haha! On what you said to the saleslady!  

This is my third Bonneville.  Had an 87 and 90, but hated the really downsized style they had in the mid to late 90s.  They were just plain ugly.  The one I have now is pretty nice (GXP verison) with an 8-cylinder (had to have one of those before I die).  But Lou can't "get comfortable" in it either.  But since I'm 5'0" and the seat sits high, I like it.  His 6'4" frame and long legs just don't work as well in it.   :lol:  

Here's a picture of it:

BTW, I had a 99 Grand Prix (with the supercharger), which I liked a lot, but you're right, it sure wasn't like the old ones.  Just decided I wanted something more luxurious for my last car (hopefully) and loved the GXP.  Of course, Pontiac has totally discontined the Bonneville after last year though.   :evil:

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2006, 04:49:26 PM »

Don't worry, Cheryl. They--Pontiac--will revive the Bonneville name some day, and try to convince you that it is the same car.
 Nice looking car, by the way.

William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2006, 05:10:09 PM »

Thanks, Dick!

Unfortunately they'll probably basdardize the name just like they've done with the GTO and Chevy has done with the Impala and Malibu.   :evil:

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2006, 05:46:21 PM »

Yeah, but at least Chevy puts a v8 in one of those, I think.
 I would have never believed a few years ago that Roberta and I would only have 1 V8 out of 5 vehicles. :cry:

William James
Vivian
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2006, 08:10:51 PM »

BTW, Dick, I am pretty old also.  Just got my first social security check!

Speaking of Pontiacs, while I was working at that Pontiac dealership we would have new car showings every September and I would work in the evening and one of the local radio stations would be there talking to everyone.  Must have been '67 or '68 and I was in my mid 20's sitting at my receptionist desk when the d.j. came and asked me how excited was I about the new Firebird.  I just looked at him and told him I much preferred the new Grand Prix...He was surprised a younger person would not prefer the sports car.
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2006, 09:40:35 PM »

Vivian, my dad had a 63 Grand Prix, one of the first delivered in Dayton. It was gold with white interior, 8 lug aluminum wheels and air conditioning. It was a beautiful car. Sadly, it swallowed a valve at about 50 miles, the day dad brought it home, and sat at the dealer for 4 or 5 weeks waiting for a new engine. It always idled a bit rough after the engine wqas replaced, so I always suspected that they ended up putting in the higher horsepower engine which had a warmer cam. It surely ran well once it got going.
 Dad also had a 65 GP and a 67, but they were nowhere near as sexy as the 63. Smiley

William James
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2006, 01:58:36 AM »

Hello All.  I'm James and a newcomer to the board.  I've followed NASCAR since the 1950's.  I was born and spent my youth in central NC.  I was raised on a dairy farm and we raised horses (hence the "cowboy" moniker() and I enjoyed fast cars, fast horses and fast sumthin other else all my life.  I opted for a career in the military rather than milking cows and riding horses and don't regret it.  It seems I wound up in the same stuff with all three options, but at least in the military the aroma wasn't quite as unpleasant.  I retired from the military in Fairborn, Ohio in 1987.  I still miss the Friday night races at Kil Kare.    Every time I think of racing and my daughter, I think of Kil Kare and her waiting for me to get home from work to go to the races.  I moved back to central NC in '89 and continued on with my love of horses by operating a stables.  My wife and I have taught the joy and pain of horseback riding to thousands of kids over the years and it's amazing to watch semi-urban kids latch on to the responsibilities of maintaining a horse.  Anyway, we grew tired of the lifestyle in Chapel Hill, NC and moved to the NC coast in 2002 and love it.  I still follow NASCAR and if a race is running and I'm not out horsing around, it'll be on TV.  In the past, if a race was on, there wasn't any horsing around.  I was watching the race.  My wife was a NASCAR tv widow.  The last few years, she "came across" and became a NASCAR fan of the "cute" drivers.  She doesn't understand why I'm no longer glued to the tv screen and I don't have enough years left to explain it to her.  When you've watched Joe Weatherly, Curtis Turner and Lee Petty power slide side by side around a red dirt track in Hillsboro, NC; watched Wendell Scott miss qualifing, but still race and change his own tires.  I had the opportunity to watch the 1972 Southern 500 which has to be one of the most underated races of all times.  Bobby Allison and David Pearson were neck and neck for the entire race.  My last NASCAR  race in person was the Coca-Cola 600 in 2004.  It was the Jimmie Johnson show and probably one of the least competitive races I've ever witnessed on TV or in person.  
I'm still a NASCAR fan, just not as intense, but I still love the smell of high octane fuel and burning rubber.

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: