November 25, 2017, 08:49:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OK - My turn....  (Read 1500 times)
SeattleFan
Sophmore

« on: April 18, 2006, 05:48:48 PM »

I usually don't do these things but....

My first race was a some sort of race during the 1981 Minnesota State Fair.  It was notable as there was this pretty famous national driver now best known for "Boogity, Boogity..."  I seem to remember that he crashed out....

I started watching Nascar a bit more seriously in the mid-80's.  At that time I got out of grad school and was a minister of a small church in Lebanon, NH.  After Sunday service I would usually be pretty wiped out and I would just crash on the couch and watch what was on TV.  Usually it would be NASCAR.

A bit later I moved down towards Concord, NH and then they took the old Briar (sp?) Motorsports park and turned it into NHIS.

My first live event there was a BGN qualifying.  I took my son, he got in for free, I paid $5 or $10...  Qualifying wasn't too thrilling and afterwards we left.  As we were walking out, I heard all sorts of track noise.  We walked back towards the track and I couldn't believe why they were racing (OK - So I was ignorant of practice :-) )  Tyler and I stood right by the fence at the end of the front straight.

All of a sudden 8-10 screaming cars (the V6 BGN used to run) came down past the flag stand - RIGHT FOR US!!!!.  I could feel the wind before they got to us and with the noise and speed it scared the heck out of me.  I grabbed Tyler and jumped back, shouting, "Holy ****!"  I was hooked.  
The next day we went to the BGN race and did for every year after that.

Our first WC race was Dover 93 or 94, and met up with the old RASN group and first met our fearless moderator....  We went every fall to Dover for 3 or 4 years, as well as a couple of WC races at Loudon,  and the last 2 races at North Wilkesboro in 1996.

Since then, I moved back home ('97), changed jobs, got divorced, got layed off, did temp work training airport security - TSA folks, met up with Cheryl and Lou @ Martinsville, have permanent employment teaching project management, remarried and adopted a puppy, Ralph!  WHEW!

and every one said... "ENOUGH, already."
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 07:41:58 PM »

Hello, and Welcome. Cheesy
 Dick

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: