November 25, 2017, 12:39:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More Late Race Starts  (Read 3263 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: April 11, 2006, 01:16:48 PM »

As much as I have wonderful sentimental memories of ESPN like most other long-time fans, I knew that the people in charge at ESPN today are probably not going to do things the way we remember them.  I've thought all along they would feel they must compete with all the bells and whistles Fox added to the broadcast.  Now more bad news (IMHO) that they'll continue this trend with later and later starts.   :evil:

From Jayski:

"ABC Sports/ ESPN president George Bodenheimer, whose networks return to the mix of televising NASCAR events for the first time in six years next season, said he prefers late afternoon starting times for Sunday Nextel Cup events in 2007. "Generally we're looking to televise the sport when we can attract the highest ratings that we can," Bodenheimer said.(Atlanta Journal-Constitution)(4-10-2006)"

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 04:33:38 PM »

Should we be surprised?  The entire climate of sports television has changed.

In general, games take longer to play in a variety of sports because of the rights fees and the necessity to pay them off by way of commercials.  The complaints about the late starting times of World Series games are well-known.

The rest of the possibilities aren't good.  Brent Musburger could come over from IndyCar to be the pre-race host and outdo Bill Weber and Chris Myers for cluelessness. :x   A DW-like "analyst" could join the booth with a silly catch phrase or two.  And, of course, they most certainly won't adopt "side-by-side" and leave us all waiting for action while they show the latest Michael Waltrip commercial.  (BTW, Mikey should run an ad agency when he retires from racing.)

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 01:20:59 AM »

I read that Rusty will be the ABC/ESPN booth, likely with DW's roll, and the Jerry Punch will be a part of the team

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 12:29:27 PM »

From today's Jayski.  I just don't get a warm and fuzzy feeling from all of this.  I guess I'm not one of those fans who need new technology (if it detracts from the racing itself).  

"ESPN set for racing's return - some Q&A's: NASCAR will have a new look next season as ESPN/ABC replaces NBC in broadcasting the second half of the Nextel Cup series. ESPN/ABC signed an eight-year agreement with NASCAR. ABC will broadcast all 10 races in the title chase next year and at least 11 of the final 17 races. ESPN will broadcast the rest. Also, ESPN2 will be the home for the Busch series. With all the work to be done, George Bodenheimer, president of ABC Sports/ESPN, attended last weekend's race at Texas Motor Speedway along with a group of executives. He spoke with reporters before the race. Here is some of what he had to say.
Q: What will the broadcasts be like next year?
A: It's a little bit premature for us to answer that question. We're working hard on developing some innovative moves forward. ESPN takes a lot of pride in distinguishing its productions from other networks. We have our best people here studying the latest technology and other devices to bring to the sport. We know that fans look for that, and we know that they look for that from ESPN and ABC.
Q: Have you decided if you will have two or three people in the booth to call races?
A: We have not. We're delighted to have Rusty Wallace on. Jerry Punch obviously is going to play a big role in what we do. Beyond that, we have not made any decisions but there should be some forthcoming shortly.
Q: How will you address the criticism NBC and Fox get about too many commercials and missing restarts?
A: We've certainly thought about it. We will be working hard to keep an eye on those factors. Advertising sales are how the cash register is rung, so, obviously, it has to play a part in what we're doing. ESPN has grown since we were last in the sport, we now consider ourselves a multimedia company with ESPN.com, Mobile ESPN on the phone, multiple networks. We're looking to take this wonderful property and blow it out across all our mediums. It is really well beyond 'what does a three-hour telecast look like?' We will be serving fans seven days a week.
Q: Will you have a daily NASCAR show?
A: Yes. We will have a daily show. We have not fixed on an exact schedule or the name of the show. We will have a daily presence.
Q: How important are later afternoon starting times and night races?
A: It's important. Generally, we're looking to attract the highest ratings that we can, obviously, later in the day bodes well. NASCAR, as all leagues, has to balance those issues with fan support and logistical issues. If NASCAR wants to continue to grow, and being affiliated with ESPN and ABC will help them grow, they're going to have to look at all those kinds of issues to make that happen.(Roanoke Times)(4-12-2006)"

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 04:43:32 PM »

Quote from: "drpep (brian)"
I read that Rusty will be the ABC/ESPN booth, likely with DW's roll, and the Jerry Punch will be a part of the team

I know, Brian, I know.  It's who ESPN puts next to him as the other analyst that worries me.  And who will do play-by-play?  Someone as knowledgeable (sp?) as Mike Joy or Allen Bestwick, or as clueless (at times) as Bill Weber?

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 04:59:37 PM »

Desmond,

To claim Bill Weber is clueless is ridiculous!  Many of us (myself included) may not like his style as the anchor of the broadcasts, but you cannot deny his knowledge of the sport!  

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 05:06:41 PM »

All I can say is: :oops:  :oops:

Actually, I thought of three things when I made my "clueless" remarks about Bill Weber:
--His tactless interview with Bobby Allison in 2001, which I heard about but did not see.
--Reported scanner comments denigrating blind children after they had sung the national anthem at Talladega Superspeedway.
--An imagined conversation between Weber and ultra-leftist author Greg Palast.  I had Palast allege that Buddy Wayne was a pawn of the Bush administration, which used him as a distraction from growing criticism of the war in Iraq and certain domestic policies.  I never put this on my web site, but it's been in my head since the last Indy race.

OK, since a make-believe TV interview was also the basis of my remarks, make that  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

sally
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 06:04:31 PM »

His attempts to be 'deep' during his pre race orations (and the silly alliteration he uses), plus his pretentious and ponderous style are my objections.  Maybe if he would lighten up, and not try to give orations that try to emulate Winston Churchill....

Sally
Lou
Administrator
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2006, 06:50:48 PM »

Man.

So people can get on someone's bad side for things that person might have said AND imaginary characters can contribute to forming an opinion of a real person?

And are you sure it wasn't David Hobbs interviewing Allison...

Tough crowd. Maybe turning off the TV and race coverage once in a while would be a good thing for all of us.....

Was that too 'deep' ?

:?

Lou

Vivian
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2006, 09:44:06 PM »

Lou wrote:

Maybe turning off the TV and race coverage once in a while would be a good thing for all of us.....

I have seriously thought about that.  I know that sometimes I seem to forget how very fortunate we are to even be able to watch the races while so many others don't have that privilege.

Thanks, Lou.  That was not too deep at all.  I, for one, am glad you decided to join in today.  Just don't let my praise go to your head or don't put yourself on a pedestal because I don't want you to faaaallllllllll...........
Lou
Administrator
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2006, 12:49:48 AM »

Quote from: "Vivian"
Just don't let my praise go to your head or don't put yourself on a pedestal because I don't want you to faaaallllllllll...........

V,

Any pedestal I ever dare to picture myself on would surely (don't call me Shirley) be made of clay.

Hoping not to sound too preachy, but sometimes we all just need to take break from the seriousness of it all and get back to the funness (is that a word?) for which we all got interested in the first place.

It's just a sport. WE don't make money from it. It should be here for some diversion from life. Not to replace it.

Lou

Benson23Fan
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2006, 06:47:37 AM »

I'm betting ESPN puts either Marty Reid or Jerry Punch in the booth.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2006, 12:19:56 PM »

Quote from: "Benson23Fan"
I'm betting ESPN puts either Marty Reid or Jerry Punch in the booth.

Brendan,

Thanks for getting us back on topic (thought Lou and Vivian made some good points).

I think ESPN has already confirmed Jerry will be in the booth along with Rusty.  But, God, I hope they wouldn't be so dumb as to bring back Marty Reid!   :shock:   That guy used to drive me crazy when he was doing the Truck Series broadcasts a few years ago.  His intros made it sound like a wrestling ad:  "ROUND 10 OF THE CRAFTSMAN TRUCK SERIES!!!!"  Ugh...

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2006, 04:36:29 PM »

Quote from: "Cheryl"
But, God, I hope they wouldn't be so dumb as to bring back Marty Reid!   :shock:   That guy used to drive me crazy when he was doing the Truck Series broadcasts a few years ago.  His intros made it sound like a wrestling ad:  "ROUND 10 OF THE CRAFTSMAN TRUCK SERIES!!!!"

In other words, not much of an improvement on Todd "Danica is the greatest woman since Sally Ride" Harris. :x

Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2006, 04:23:11 AM »

Sally Ride is that the astronaut or the actress?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: