November 19, 2017, 03:29:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Someone else thinks Zelasko must go  (Read 2915 times)
Desmond
All-Star

« on: April 06, 2006, 05:13:49 PM »

In the article by Jo Ann Hlavac referenced in Race Talk, she writes:

"Does anyone else besides me want baseball to start if for no other reason then it would mean we don’t have to see or hear Jeanie [sic] Zelasko anymore this season?   Does anyone else besides me think she is absolutely the worst “reporter” to ever have on a head set and be sent into the pits?"

It bears repeating: When Fox begins its new television package in 2007, Zelasko should not return even for one race.  Her problems have been magnified the last two weeks because Steve Byrnes has been away, spending much of that time in the hospital due to a sinus infection.

This week, Byrnes returns and the quality of the pit work should increase immeasurably.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 05:39:16 PM »

This is not meant to be bashing, but I doubt if you get any disagreement re Velasko from the members of this group, Desmond. Cheesy

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 05:54:02 PM »

Lord knows, I've had issues with Jeanne since 2001.  They reached a head with her remark about Kenseth switching to his "backup engine" a couple races ago.  

What bugs me is that Fox seems to have put her in the position she is in because they are too lazy to hire an additional person if they want a woman pit reporter.  But then again, it seems to me she hasn't fully embraced racing either (as baseball is apparently her first love).  I'm not trying to bash here either, but her placement in the pits just seems like a dismal failure.  As I always say in my reviews, I'd rather NOT see a woman reporter at all if they can't get one who is committed to racing and develops a better rapport with the teams and drivers.  
As a comparison, I do feel Krista Voda has done an excellent job learning the sport (since I read she'd never worked with it before Totally NASCAR).  Glad to see she's now got a full-time gig in the Truck Series.  To me, that shows that she appears more motivated to learn the sport she's covering and fully immerse herself in the "culture."

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 09:39:21 PM »

*****This post edited by moderator*****

I totally agree, Cheryl.  Jeanne Zelasko proves that Fox has no shame, and is willing to put an incompetent in TV just because sh'e female.  They should be embarrassed.

I wasn't impressed with Krista Voda when she started, but as you observed, she seems to have really embraced Nascar, and has absorbed knowlege to become one of their better pit reporters.

sally
Vivian
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 01:02:47 AM »

Sally, did you reverse the names in those 2 paragraphs you wrote??

Krista also does some of the Moto Cross shows with Ralph Sheheen (sp?).  She does a great job.
sally
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 01:43:08 AM »

I certainly did!  I should never try to talk to my roommate and type at the same time!

Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006, 12:32:28 PM »

Uh, Sally, maybe you could go back and edit your post to correct the names?  Wink

Thanks!
Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2006, 05:16:46 PM »

Quote from: "Cheryl"
Uh, Sally, maybe you could go back and edit your post to correct the names?  Wink

Thanks!
Cheryl

But if Sally did that, Cheryl, then I wouldn't have any reason to be confused! :-D

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2006, 05:45:39 PM »

Quote from: "Vivian"
Sally, did you reverse the names in those 2 paragraphs you wrote??

Next time, Sally, use the edit button! Cheesy

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
sally
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2006, 09:01:47 PM »

Thank you, everyone, for all your helpful advice.  If you haven't figured out my goof by now, I'd hate to confuse you further by correcting it now.  besides, what would you have to talk about?

Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2006, 04:15:49 PM »

Quote from: "sally"
Thank you, everyone, for all your helpful advice.  If you haven't figured out my goof by now, I'd hate to confuse you further by correcting it now.  besides, what would you have to talk about

Well, I think the TV folks might not understand it, so I went in and edited your post for you to correct the names...

Remember the members of the forum are not the only ones reading it.  

Thanks,

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2006, 06:29:35 PM »

See?  I knew that I could count on you to make it just the way it aught to be, Cheryl.

Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2006, 01:21:24 PM »

From Matt McLaughlin's article about Texas:

"OK, baseball has started. How come we’re still stuck with Jeannie Zelasko?"

I was thinking the exact thing this weekend.  

My solution was to have a a "no Jeanne" filter on my TV during Saturday and Sunday's races.  Every time, she started to talk, I switched over to PRN.   :-D   Then it started turning into a "no DW" filter as I got increasingly tired of hearing his voice...
How many weeks until Fox is done?Huh?

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2006, 05:19:17 PM »

Quote from: "Cheryl"
How many weeks until Fox is done?Huh?

About 11.  The last scheduled race on Fox is the Pepsi 400 on July 1.

Vivian
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2006, 12:53:06 AM »

I think Fox has a problem getting the right talent for a lot of their jobs.  We really true racing fans have to remember that a lot of fans just aren't knowledgeable about racing so they are also not knowledgeable about what a lot of the reporters are saying so it dosn't make any difference to them.  A lot of the fans go just to be seen and to see who they can see.  I guess we could just say the reporters are human and make mistakes like we all do at times.  

I don't know if I will want to watch NBC or not after the things they have done lately.  Anyway you look at it, true fans lose... Sad
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: