November 24, 2017, 10:35:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Bill Elliott didn't run  (Read 437 times)
Desmond
All-Star

« on: May 25, 2004, 04:48:07 PM »

In the race review forum, Vivian asked why Bill Elliott was not in the race.

It was not because he was not eligible, as he won in Rockingham in November of last year.

Instead, it was the old bugaboo--no sponsor.

Why no one is stepping up to support this legend--even for a part-time run--is beyond me.  And he's not the only one.

Jack Roush is living hand-to-mouth with the Jeff Burton car and still does not have a sponsor for the Jon Wood truck.  Meanwhile, Johnny Benson's career is on hold--again--as Cal Wells seeks support for the #96.

Now there's the new factor of reality TV.  Someone (may have been Cheryl) recently predicted that sponsorship money may soon be predicated more on whether a driver has a personality suited for television than his (her) racing ability.  Too bad.

Who will be the next star who will be held back for this reason?

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 09:02:41 PM »

I have come to the conclusion that only the young drivers are getting top billing with the sponsors unless it is a sponsor who has been with a team for many years.  And yes, I think personality does come into play.  But maybe Bill didn't want to run or I am sure Dodge and Evernham would have made sure he did since he is still employed by them.

Desmond, I don't think I am the one who asked about Bill not being in the race.  Can't remember who asked that.   :?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: