November 25, 2017, 02:53:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Response of the "Desired Demographic"  (Read 765 times)
marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« on: May 24, 2004, 01:09:45 AM »

This is for all of you who were kind enough to tell me that you missed me...Take  bathroom break now, this is gonna be long.

My 25 year old boyfriend has never been a Nascar fan.  I know, I know, then what the hell am I doing with him?  Trust me, he's trainable....Ha ha, no, really.....Anyways....Since we have been together, I have "subjected" him to watching races, cuz dammit, if I can sit through Monday Night Raw, he can watch some races.  Last year, he just humored me by watching, making annoying comments about how they should go faster and there should be more crashes and anything else he can do to annoy me so I'll get so fed up that I give up and don't make him watch anymore.(case in point, his favorite drivers are Kurt Busch and Greg Biffle.  Why?  Cuz I told him I hate them.)  Sorry buddy, not going to work.

This year, however, he hasn't missed a race and I work Sundays and he doesn't.  He watches them at home without me.  He still makes annoying comments, but now they are annoying simply because we don't agree on drivers or rules.

My boyfriend is the desired demogrphic.  He is a 25 year old male "New" fan.

Last night, we watched the "Nextel Challenge" together.  He wasn't making his usual stupid comments.  I could tell that something in him had changed.  Even after I told him we didn't have to watch it, he put it on and insisted on watching the whole thing.

Midway through the actual challenge, he started yelling at the TV.  "This is ridiculous!!  Race a couple of laps, go to commercial.  Come back, blab about something, go bck to commercial!!  I have never had to sit through so many commercials in my life!!"

I stifled a laugh.  He looked at me, angry.  "It's not funny!!  This is ridiculous!!  I've seen these same freaking commercials so many times, I could act them out!!"

Again I grinned.  I know he mistook my humor as something against him, but countless numbers of letters to Scene and articles and posts flashed through my head.

Thinking that I didn't agree with him, he quieted.  It wasn't that I didn't agree with him, I just thought this was his time.  I didn't want him to echo my opinion, I was basking in the fact that he had realized this on his own.

A bit later, DW was rambling on and on about what he would do, how he would do it (you guys know, typical Tower of Babble stuff) when once again, Rob began yelling at the TV.  "Who cares what you would do??  You're crusty and no one cares.  You are not in this race and your time is long past so shut the #$#% up and just tell us something we do care about!!"

Once again, I beamed with pride, amusement, and the knowledge that this is what Nascar has done to itself.  They want these NEW fans, these 18-34 year old males, and are selling their souls to get them.  They say that us "OLD" fans are the only ones complaining about these things.  Besides watching a couple of races last year, this is Rob's rookie season.  And I just thought I would share with you--he ain't impressed.  Can't wait to see if he naps with me for the next couple of races, as we've hit cookie season.  

And yes, as  a matter a fact, I gloated long and loud when Kurt took out Biffle.  Such great drivers he supports.  But giving him full credit, his number one is the #8.  

You can get up now, and I bet you won't want to hear from me again for  a while.   :wink:
sally
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004, 02:09:09 AM »

You go, girl!  I do find it interesting that everyone (meaning Nascar, television, and the wireless company) assume that all the new fans automatically will love the way they "present the show".  Not just us old curmedgeons, is it?
Sally
Vivian
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 12:50:10 AM »

MartiniGirl, you made me laugh.  Not ROTFLMAO.   When Don and I first started out together I was a football fan and he would watch just to please me.  It was not long before he was more into it than I was.  Aren't men great?   :twisted:

It is amazing how people have begun to change their opinions of DW since he started announcing.  I used to like to listen to him and his opinions but now he is so wrapped up in his own importance that it is hard to take.  he was a good driver but he was also a whiner and we know from their own admissions that he didn't always follow the rules so why is the pot calling the kettle blacker than black?
marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2004, 01:59:33 PM »

I completely agree with you, Vivian.  I''ve been thinking the exact same thing.  I remember when he was still racing, and it was his last year.  He did a commercial for one of the tracks, or Nascar, something, and at the end of it was a close up of his face and a catch in his voice when he said, "I'm gonna miss this place."  And you felt so bad for him.  When I heard he was going to be announcing, I thought that would be really cool.  Someone who really knows racing, and who has a few good stories to tell.  But, unfortunately, he ran out of good stories a long time ago and now he just talks to be talking.  I guess I could live with that, you know, if he were like a friend of my dad's and he came over and was entertaining us with stories.  Even if we had heard them a thousand times, we'd still listen because it would have been so cool to listen to real race car driver's stories!!  But now, well, I'm trying to watch a race and am more interested to know why someone was leading it 3 laps ago,  they went to commercial, and now he is one lap down.  

I mean, if they had a show that was just retired drivers talking about the good old days, and DW was on there telling stories, I may tune in.  But the problem with it now is that he just talks about himself and what he would do, and remember that race, we only took two tires and.....But I'm not there to listen to stories, I am there to watch and listen to the race.  But it is hard to follow now.  Half the time anymore, I don't actually stay in fron of the TV when the race is on.  I leave it on and then go do other stuff.  I check back every couple of laps, and if something is different, I know they will replay it soon, because they were probably at commercial or talking about something else when it happened anyway.  If someone is a lap down now, I am not upset that I don't know why.  I just pretend it is my fault cuz I wasn't watching instead of getting frustrated because I have seen every second of this damn race and still don't know why Tony is all of a sudden a lap down.  But I do know that Gordon has a 12 second lead and what DW's pit stratedgy was in the 1987 Daytona 500.

I know I just rambled on there, but it just gets frustrating.
marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2004, 02:03:11 PM »

BTW--I will keep you guys posted on Rob's progress in his Nascar education.  I'm secretly hoping he will realize a pattern with all the cookie tracks and start complaining about how boring they are.  I'm not gonna say anything, I'll just be really proud if he does.
Vivian
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2004, 08:31:52 PM »

MartiniGirl, Your take on DW is exactly like mine.  I looked forward to his announcing until about the 6th race then the look and listen to me attitude took over and he just didn't impress me anymore.  Yes, he was good at racing for a few years but those years are gone and what worked for him does not work with the newer aero cars.

BTW, glad you are inputing on a regular basis again.   Cool
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: