November 24, 2017, 06:54:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This must be read!  (Read 1613 times)
Michael
Veteran

« on: May 24, 2004, 12:08:10 AM »

:lol:

http://insiderracingnews.com/Letters/052004.html
marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004, 12:43:03 AM »

BEAUTIFUL!!!!! Cheesy
Michael
Veteran

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004, 01:06:33 AM »

Sorry. :oops:  I just thought that part was funny, too.
marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2004, 01:17:55 AM »

Ok, stop now, I can't laugh anymore, it hurts!!  

I have to say, he didn't write anything that I haven't thought myself.  You really would think that with their new image they would find better announcers.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2004, 01:54:25 AM »

Okay, kids.  I hate to be the "mean Mommy" twice in one day.  Yes, the letter was funny, but let's lay off Larry's grammar, okay?  That's too close to "announcer bashing" and the very thing I thought of when I set up the rules for the forum about bashing.  

Now the thing about DW creating NASCAR, that is pretty funny.   Cheesy   And not technically an insult.  

Just please try to cool the insults about personl things like the way people talk or their clothes.  If we go off on that type of thing, we will lose credibility with the TV folks who check out the forum.  They will totally tune us out and that defeats the purpose of giving them feedback.

Now, I'm going downstairs to retire to the speedcouch for the evening.  Don't make me have to get up off of it and spank any of you now.   :wink:

Cheryl
marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2004, 01:31:34 PM »

Buuuuuuuuut Moooooooooom, he started it!!

Seriously, I understand what you are saying and I apologize.  Sometimes slap-happiness gets the best of me.  Now you know why I haven't been posting much--you've seen the notes I take during races.....and press conferences.  At least I don't post that.....

I will be more careful.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2004, 01:59:06 PM »

No problem.  Lord knows I really don't want to stifle anyone here.  Just don't want to get into personal insults.  

BTW, loved your story about your boyfriend!  That certainly proves that TV and NASCAR need to understand that "new" fans can be just as turned off by what they do as us "old" inflexible fans.  Maybe the difference there is that he's turning into a "real" fan now, as opposed to those who just tune in cause it's the cool thing to do (until the next big thing comes along).

Cheryl
marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2004, 01:40:30 PM »

Thanks!!  I know it was long, but when I tell a story, I tell a story.

Course it doesn't really matter.  You know that his response is solely biased by my opinions, I must be influencing him.  You know how we old stick in the muds are, always pushing our opinions on other people.  Funny thing about it, though, is that I never mentioned any of that to him.  I haven't really given him any insight on anything because I was just happy he was watching.  I mean, yeah, I'll explain how so and so got a lap down, or that kind of thing.  May go into driver rivalries or things like that.  But I don't tell him about all of the other stuff.  Cuz quite honestly, he didn't care about racing and like I said, he would pick on things just to annoy me.  So this was wonderful.  

But none of the higher ups seem to care.  They have a product to sell, and darn it, they are going to sell it whether we like it or not.  Unfortunately, though, we just love racing so much we keep buying.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2004, 02:10:37 PM »

Quote from: "marrtinigirl"
But none of the higher ups seem to care.  They have a product to sell, and darn it, they are going to sell it whether we like it or not.  Unfortunately, though, we just love racing so much we keep buying.

I sent some of this to Sally privately yesterday, but I found out some interesting stuff when reading a forum about HDTV yesterday.  The reason the thread caught my eye was because it mentioned that the head of NBC didn't like "gimmicks."  The thread began as a debate over why NBC would not show hockey games in HD.   Here's part of it:

"Steve Koonin, executive VP and COO of TBS and TNT, which
televised the NBA All-Star Game in high definition, said the process
doesn't revolutionize hockey telecasts.  "Hockey really does pop in HD, but it's not the savior of the sport, unfortunately," he said.  
 NBC Sports Chairman Dick Ebersol was also wary of overemphasizing HD, calling the format a "gimmick."  "The most important thing I want to make sure is that we present hockey in a way that is appealing to its core fans," Mr. Ebersol said. "I'm not big on gimmicks that are just there for the new people that may offend the base. So in this particular case, yes, we will look [at it], but I will be slow to pull the trigger on any gimmicks."

I found this very interesting and maybe that's why we see less of the pointers, bubbleheads, etc. on NBC than Fox.  And maybe us core fans complaining about the bubbleheads are what led to their demise last season.   Smiley

The members of the AVS forum went on to say that they had heard that sports contracts are really "lost leaders" for the networks; that they only use them as a vehicle to promote their primetime line-ups.  I found this to be pretty enlightening.  If this is true, that probably explains why we get so innudated with promos for Fox, FX, TNT, NBC shows during the races.  Doesn't make me like them anymore, but it sure explains a lot.  Perhaps that was why we all feel we saw more of the actual racing on ESPN since sports was their main product.  

Also, the members of that forum thought that NBC was one of the few networks actually making a profit.  They claimed Fox still hadn't even recovered what they had paid for the NFL contract, let alone NASCAR.  Don't know if that is true or not.  They didn't imply NBC was making money on NASCAR, but that their primetime shows were at least making a profit for them.

If you are interested in reading this LONG drawn out discussion, I think this will take you directly to the thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=6ab351770b15a858cb065ec15501b0df&threadid=405210

I found the discussion very interesting, but even I didn't read the entire thread.   :wink:

Cheryl
Michael
Veteran

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2004, 12:43:37 AM »

Aha! So my future boss sees HDTV as a gimmick. Well, I've never seen HDTV, so I have no opinion. :?
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2004, 12:27:42 PM »

Quote from: "Michael"
Aha! So my future boss sees HDTV as a gimmick. Well, I've never seen HDTV, so I have no opinion. :?

Michael!  You plan to work in TV and you've never seen a High Definition broadcast?Huh?  Get to an A/V store that uses DirecTV for their inputs and check out HDNet.  Trust me, you will simply be amazed at the depth and clarity of the picture.  Cable systems don't have HDNet and Mark Cuban puts out the best quality HD broadcasts out there.  OTA live shows are also very good, but most of their filmed stuff has a "soft" look to it.  Some of the videotape stuff on CBS is pretty great looking as well.  Get out there and check it out.  Trust me, you won't think it is a gimmick.  

Cheryl
Michael
Veteran

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2004, 03:48:15 AM »

Quote from: "Cheryl"
Quote from: "Michael"

Michael!  You plan to work in TV and you've never seen a High Definition broadcast?Huh?  Get to an A/V store that uses DirecTV for their inputs and check out HDNet.  Trust me, you will simply be amazed at the depth and clarity of the picture.  Cable systems don't have HDNet and Mark Cuban puts out the best quality HD broadcasts out there.  OTA live shows are also very good, but most of their filmed stuff has a "soft" look to it.  Some of the videotape stuff on CBS is pretty great looking as well.  Get out there and check it out.  Trust me, you won't think it is a gimmick.  

Cheryl

I've seen HDNet previews at Wal-Mart. I find it funny that Mr. Ebersol sees HDTV as a gimmick, especially when on nbccableinfo.com, they're advertising the Belmont (GO SMARTY JONES!) on NBC HD.

Mark Cuban, eh? Is his mouth bigger in HDTV as it is on NBA highlights? :lol:
ronbarnes7777
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2004, 05:33:45 PM »

guys i don't see what the big deal is about hdtv.somebody please explain
Vivian
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2004, 08:08:47 PM »

I have never seen HD tv either.  I guess it is supposed to be a clearer picture and more in depth or something.  I would like to see just so I could compare but don't know if I ever will.  I am in country and some things are just not available to us here in the sticks.  But I don't complain cause I don't have much traffic to deal with or with too many rude shoppers.   Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: