November 18, 2017, 03:02:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DW in Mikey's car? Really?  (Read 727 times)
Desmond
All-Star

« on: March 17, 2006, 05:37:26 PM »

I got a cell phone for my birthday and subscribed to Rowdy, a daily radio NASCAR news show available only on cell phones.

From there, I heard yesterday that Darrell Waltrip will drive the "Aaron's Dream Machine" at the Busch Series return trip to Martinsville Speedway on July 22.

And DW will not race the car in a commercial.  He will do this for real! :smt078

What is he thinking?  The way I see it, this is ego gratification at its worst.

Cheryl has already told you about how hapless a driver DW was in his last two years of Winston Cup racing.  He's OK in trucks, but the Busch Series is now, in effect, "Nextel Cup 2", making him way over his head.

Come on, somebody.  Tell me that this is a joke. :lol:

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 09:59:47 PM »

Desmond, it IS a joke, but sadly, the only people who do not understand that it is a joke are the Waltrips. :roll:

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Vivian
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 10:14:21 PM »

So all these promises to Stevie not to drive anymore are out the window, as usual.

You know, I really don't want to turn this into a bash D.W. thread but want to make some obversations.

1.  IMO, he has so much money, he can do whatever he wishes and does not have to worry about the consequences.

2.  IMO, he thinks he is more important than he really is.

3.  IMO, he seems to have cut down on the use of too much makeup.

4.  IMO, he told us that BBB was an international phrase which means once again, he admires himself very much and thinks he is known and loved world over.

5.  IMO, he overrates himself but still knows a lot about racing.

6.  IMO, because of him, Nascar gains and loses fans.

7.  IMO, he has lots of money and some fame so why not put it use making more money?

8.  IMO, I am probably in big trouble for writing all of this.   :smt021
Lou
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 02:59:23 AM »

Quote from: "Vivian"
IMO, I am probably in big trouble for writing all of this.   :smt021

The "mean mommie" is lying on the couch across from me watching qualifying right now and probably won't be computing until tomorrow so you have a temporary stay of execution.... :smt075

I'm probably in trouble for not telling her .....

Lou

cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 06:14:39 AM »

Vivian, great post!!  The  Waltrip's ego's are beginning to get on my nerves....really bad.  I personally feel DW brought enough disgrace to the "previous champion provisional" that it should have been eliminated.

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
azbobbybooshay10
Veteran

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 09:28:16 AM »

I think those last couple years for DW in Cup may be skewed a bit, people only look at his start/finish position. They completly overlook the team he drove for, and the cars they used. They basically bought all those cars, and didn't even buiy them from top teams. They were buying cars from teams like Melling and RahMock, who weren't exactly running up front. He did have good runs every once in a while, remember his qualifying at the Brickyard in 2000? Qualifying 2nd, darn near winning the pole? If he got the right car setup he still ran halfway decent, but most of the time the team had such junk cars, Jesus Christ himself would have a tough time getting a top 20.

If you remember when he jumped in the #1 Pennzoil car for the injured Steve Park, he ran quite well, damn near winning Pocono. He also got shafted in those past couple years by people like Tim Beverley, and the Speedblock sponsorship that never paid him during 1998.

In the past few times he's ran trucks, he hasn't really run all that bad. Little things here and there have messed up his runs. I wish DW all the best at Martinsville, but honestly I didn't think this was all that out of the question. Its like the UPS commercials, you couldn't possibly imagine them ending the series without Dale racing the brown truck, could you?

Like I said, good luck DW! Now if you would just quit that darn BBB BS as a trade, we'd have a deal!
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 01:19:28 PM »

Quote from: "Vivian"
8.  IMO, I am probably in big trouble for writing all of this.   :smt021

No, Vivian, not at all.  I agree with about 90% of what you said.  I know I say no bashing of TV personalities, but DW (and Michael) just leave themselves wide open for much of this stuff.  If he'd just stick to telling us about the race and less about himself, that wouldn't be the case.  

So, in this case, I say "good job!" and no "discipline" for you this time!   :-D  No matter what Lou says... Wink

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2006, 06:16:18 PM »

This is abviously an example of how marketing ("Can I drive the Dream machine?") has taken over from racing.  Since Mikey's cars have been less than stellar on the track, I guess they decided it wouldn't make much difference who is behind the wheel.  Wonder how the rest of the drivers on the track will feel about this?

sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2006, 06:27:52 PM »

What really pisses me off is something I heard during the morning practice show today.  Larry McReynolds was saying something to Harvick about DW being "a rookie" in the Busch Series.  Talk about rewriting history!  When I first started following racing, both DW and Dale Earnhardt (the original) frequently "whacked" in the Busch Series.  But I guess TV feels certain the "new" fans won't know that.  

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2006, 08:19:10 PM »

Thank you, Mean Mommie. Wink

I did make a couple of nice remarks about him also.

Too bad Busch racing is over as we once knew it.  Sad, but I think it is.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2006, 10:20:09 PM »

I'm afraid you are correct about the Busch Series, Vivian.  One of the things I liked about the PRN announcers the last couple of weeks, is that they have said they seriously doubt a true Busch regular will even win a race this year.  I fear that will be the case as well.   :evil:

And what's up with Fox now telling us they've "retired" the term Buschwhackers???   I guess NASCAR or the network told them they weren't helping "grow" the sport by using that term.

Cheryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: