November 24, 2017, 04:29:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: About todays race from atlanta.  (Read 1701 times)
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« on: March 19, 2006, 05:35:11 PM »

Hi everyone if it continues to rain i wonder how long nascar and the people who run atlanta motor speedway would wait before making a decision i hope they wait a long time i wouldn't care if the race was run later in the day or if in fact it became a night race i think it would be more exciting if the race was delayed a bit and it ran in late afternoon early or at early evening into nighttime.

I hope they do wait awhile and don't cancel the race early jus cause it's raining.

Who knows maybe they could have a photo finish under the lights.
 Smiley

I have a feeling that because it's supposed to rain down their monday as well that the nascar and track officials will wait quite awhile today before making an announcement.

I just hope they don't do it early in the day like they did 1 year at atlanta in the fall 2000 race the final race on espn they cancelled the race almost shortly after it came on air.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 06:23:29 PM »

On the radio, they're saying that they aren't even trying to dry the track and how it doesn't look good in Atlanta until Tuesday.  Also comments by teams that they may be back there racing Easter weekend (14-16 April).

As much as I want them to get a race in (and certainly would if I was there), Atlanta has been pretty cold this weekend.  So sitting there in the rain all day and having the race tonight when it's even colder may not be a good choice in this particular case.  Trust me, I want to see the race run today too, but as I always say Mother Nature does not appear to be a race fan.

Edit:  I've heard more comments on the PRN pre-race show which just came on at 12:30.  Now I'm hearing things like "getting to halfway."  I sure as hell hope that's not what NASCAR is aiming for because that's a disservice to both the fans and the drivers!  It used to be NASCAR wouldn't even start the race if they didn't think they could get the entire distance in because of weather.  But that doesn't seem the case anymore.  It seems like their deal to get network TV dollars cast that policy aside.   :evil:

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 08:40:18 PM »

They are currently trying to dry the track or at least keep up with it.  And are showing last years race.

I'm gonna be watching drags from Gainesville as soon as they start.
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 08:56:08 PM »

I hope they run it sometime today or tonight or sometime tomorrow or tomorrow night.

I'd rather see it today or tomorrow than easter weekend.

So it's a little cold down there.
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 10:07:14 PM »

Hi i wanted to let everyone know the race has been postponed and will be ran weather permitting at 10 a.m. central time 11 a.m. eastern time tomorrow on fx and some fox stations.

Personally i think it's stupid that they cancelled today and didn't wait until later in the day cause of the possibility of bad weather tomorrow as well.

It makes me wonder if the network fox didn't have a hand in the decision to cancel the race hopefully tomorrow if it rains again they'll wait until later in the day before they make a decision.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 10:12:48 PM »

Bryan,

It looked to be raining steadily from about 1:30 on, so I don't think it was a mistake to postpone the race this time.

Cheryl
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 12:51:37 AM »

Well you know all these tracks have lights all these tracks and nascar and everyone else brag about having lights why have lights and not use them?

I think they should have waited longer. But if they wanna cancel the race that's their choice.
17RoushFan
Veteran

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 02:43:41 AM »

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/5424882

McGee says towards the end of the article that if they can't get the Cup race in on Monday that it would be moved to Easter Saturday. Additionally, the race would be run in the day so that the Busch race can be seen in their prime-time slot.

tuned in to watch some commercials, but when they went to break, i saw a nascar race!
azbobbybooshay10
Veteran

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 02:45:31 AM »

They cancelled it because there was no way in H-E-Double Hockey Sticks they could have gotten it in today. Instead of making the fans wait in the rain for several hours, they went ahead and postponed because they knew they were going to have to postpone anyways.

Here's the current ATL radar.

Atlanta Motor Speedway is actually near Hampton, which is south of town. As you see, its raining cats, dogs, horses, donkeys, and camels south of town, so I have no doubt its still raining at the speedway. Would you, as a fan at the race, want to still be waiting at the track all day, even when you knew the chances of getting the race even started were one in eleventybillion? Or would you want NASCAR to go ahead and make official what everyone knew was going to happen anyways?

Bottom line, there was absolutly NO WAY they could have gotten it even started today, let alone get to halfway and make it "official". I don't have any problem with them calling it as early as they did. Now if it looked like it was going to clear off after dark, absolutly I'd say wait a while to postpone it. But with the conditions the way they are in Atlanta, they made the right call.
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 03:34:52 AM »

What does nascar allow the teams to do to the cars during a rainout and stuff i mean do they allow them to warmup the engines tomorrow like they would on a normal day?

Do they keep those things plugged in overnight to keep the engines warm i was just curious if anyone knew what nascar allowed the teams to do on situations like this?
azbobbybooshay10
Veteran

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2006, 07:54:39 AM »

This weekend isn't an "impound" race, is it? I'm assuming they'll let them warm up the fluids, change air pressure, probably basic setup stuff for safety. Not sure about more extensive changes, that would affect the car thru the tech line.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2006, 01:46:16 PM »

Quote from: "azbobbybooshay10"
This weekend isn't an "impound" race, is it? I'm assuming they'll let them warm up the fluids, change air pressure, probably basic setup stuff for safety. Not sure about more extensive changes, that would affect the car thru the tech line.

I'm not sure if understand it entirely, but I thought they did away with impound races in Cup this year.  

Forecast doesn't look good for today.  "Showers and then more showers, and then thunderstorms..."  

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ifps/MapClick.php?CityName=Hampton&state=GA&site=FFC

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2006, 05:58:12 PM »

Thanks, Bobby, for the radar!  I better learn how to upload pictures to the main body of the forum in case I want to do that in the future.

*************************Edited by moderator.

I am very optimistic that we will have (at least) 500 miles of racing today. Cheesy

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
derbyit857
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2006, 07:08:28 PM »

I guess according to NASCAR.COM the race is going as we speak.

What drives me mental when this happens is the chaos we have up here trying to find out if the race is going to be shown or not..  As you know, we don't get FX up here, and when they say "some Fox affiliates" will show it, you never know who. We get two Fox feeds on our dish, so I have my wife (who's home on Maternity leave) checking both feeds, plus our 4 feeds of our local Sports channel that was covering the race also yesterday (Rogers Sportsnet)..  Sheesh..  I just hope I get to see it!  When I checked the program guide this morning, no one had any Auto Racing listed during the day today, but then again, how much notice would be needed to update the satellite's program guide?? :evil:
Craig
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2006, 07:15:55 PM »

Quote from: "derbyit857"
When I checked the program guide this morning, no one had any Auto Racing listed during the day today, but then again, how much notice would be needed to update the satellite's program guide??

Obviously, they need more than a day's notice (which I think is absurd)!  We have a Tivo through DirecTV and it "calls home" every night to get updated guide data, yet they never get anything on races that are postponed.  To me, it says that Fox and FX (and other networks) don't update their guide data that often.   :evil:   Why have the technology and not use it when things are postponed?  I guess the old garbage-in/garbage-out thing applies here.

Thankfully, the Tivo has the "manual recording" option, so I set it to record from 11 a.m. until 8 p.m. this evening (just to be sure).

Cheryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: