November 21, 2017, 01:19:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I think the problem is......  (Read 3733 times)
Blue Oval
Rookie

« on: March 18, 2006, 09:03:21 PM »

I think the problem with NASCAR tv is that we have seen enough of the same people doing these shows. After all it has been a few years now.
We need new people on Trackside (replace Darrell and Larry), new people on Inside Nextel Cup (replace Michael), and replace Kenny W. on the Raceday shows. Seems everywhre I read that people were really impressed with Jeff Burton on Inside Nextel Cup. Ditto for the comments of people not missing Michael at all. Do you ver notice when things get to jumping on Trackside that Larry always stops it cold with a serious question that turns the show flat? I think most of us want spontaneous banter between the participants. Not teleprompter stuff.

Fans get tired of the same characters all the time. This may be part of the reason tv ratings are down for all but the Daytona 500. Everywhere you turn there's the Waltrips, McReynolds, Hammond and Kenny Wallace. After all thse years we know how and what they think. They no longer offer anything new. Evidently Fox does not want to ante up more money to put on new personalities.

Has anyone noticed that Jimmy Spencer has become a shill for NASCAR? Jimmy, I never thought much about him during his racing career, used to speak his mind and was quite opinionated. Not anymore. He walks the walk and talks the talk these days. It's a shame. He does offer more to the shows then Kenny W. though.

Your thoughts please.

ay those Chevy's always be staring at a Ford's tail lights.
sally
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 12:58:03 AM »

Blue, you're reading my mind!  I was thinking back to the days when races were on all different networks during the season.  ESPN had most of them, but other networks had occasional races, and each had their own experts in the booth.   Not only was the variety refreshing, but you didn't have to listen to the same old people, the same old jokes, and the same old egos week after week.  Maybe if each of the networks had to have their very own race people, it would help relieve some of the reasons I want to scream at my TV in the middle of races!  
Happily, I just discovered a local FM radio channel that carries the races, so I can now turn down the sound on the TV (especially the green flag at the beginning of races in the first half at the season) and get some relief.

Now I'm intrigued that so much of the action described by the MRN guys never makes it to the tV screen.  Makes you go 'Hmmmm..."

By the way, welcome to the forum!  Always nice to have a fresh point of view.

Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 03:25:23 PM »

Welcome to the forum, Al!  Great to have a fellow Marylander join us.   :-D

You made some wonderful points about seeing the same TV folks over and over on the shows (which are all coincidentally on the Fox networks).  Hopefully RPN2Nite will return soon on ESPN.  I miss John Kernan so much!  

It's quite funny you brought up this topic as I was just commenting about the Fox group yesterday.  I've spent quite a lot of the the last two nights listening to the NASCAR channel on XM and quals and Busch race on PRN.  How refreshing it was to hear some different voices and opinions!  Those PRN guys (Doug Rice and Mark Garrow) don't pull any punches or walk the NASCAR party line!  

During all the stuff on FX before the Busch race, I had the sound down and listened to XM.  I was delighted to actually hear some comments from the grand marshals of the race (Ned Jarrett, Benny Parsons, David Pearson, Donnie Allison and Buddy Baker).  I'm not quite sure if it was an actual interview by Claire B. Lang of XM or she just picked up comments from the media center at AMS.  Either way, these past champions had some wonderful comments about the COT and how they couldn't drive a car with all the restraint devices used today.  Donnie Allison's comments were particularly funny!  About how with todays restraints he wouldn't be able to look someone in the eye (with an open-face helmet) and tell them they were number one.   :lol: David Pearson said he couldn't imagine driving your car based on someone in the grandstands (the spotters) telling you to turn right or left.  Those guys were certainly not as spoiled as the guys we see today!  

Anyway, my point is if these wonderful resources were available yesterday at the track, why did FX insist on us having to listen to Chris Meyers, DW, et al during the pre-race show instead?  Claire may get on my nerves when she's trying to fill time on her shows, but all too often she brings the fans great stuff like this that TV never bothers with.  My comment to Lou at the time was "it's probably because these types of interviews didn't feature the TV guys!"  How sad that a one-person mobil radio show can outdo all the people TV has working on their team.  I'm certainly going to miss Claire's information when NASCAR goes over to Sirius radio next year.  

Again, welcome to the forum, Al!  So glad you joined us!

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 05:07:03 PM »

I couldn't believe that, with some of the most charismatic and successful drivers that Nascar has ever had on a track, television relegated them  to 10 seconds giving the command to start engines.  What a waste!!

And I think you're right on about the problem with a lack of 'diversity' in the TV booth.  Almost every Nascar related show has the same faces.  They even raplaced Ray Dunlap with Larry Mac on 'Performance", and put in on at the racetrack.  Their 'talent' pool is so small it's no wonder we are suffering from burnout! :roll:

Sally
Vivian
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 08:37:52 PM »

Hey Blue, good to have you with us.

I totally agree with what you said.  That seems to be the trend with us.  We mostly complain about the announcers and the drivers they constantly dwell on.  Good points you made.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 06:29:14 PM »

Quote from: "Cheryl"
How refreshing it was to hear some different voices and opinions!  Those PRN guys (Doug Rice and Mark Garrow) don't pull any punches or walk the NASCAR party line!

Once again, we are reminded that, since NASCAR centralized the TV contracts, the show has increasingly become "the show," an infomercial masquerading as a race.

As for the legends being relegated to a 10-second command to start the engines during the telecast, no wonder.  NASCAR only put on people who say what they want to hear, and/or are willing to pay extra to the TV networks for the privilege.  Otherwise, chances are you will be left out of the loop.

By the way, how much do you think the tracks regret their decision to surrender TV rights to NASCAR itself?  Before 2000, we did hear different voices on the telecasts.  No longer.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
derbyit857
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 07:12:05 PM »

100% agree blue!

Too much of one core of announcers is bound to hurt the product. If we see it, why don't they??
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 07:22:39 PM »

Quote from: "derbyit857"
Too much of one core of announcers is bound to hurt the product. If we see it, why don't they??

Because some of the people at Fox seemed to be too full of themselves.  Did anyone see yesterday's pre-race show with that truly disgusting cut from that movie coming out where they use DW's idiotic phrase?   :smt078   Now he really will think it's a universally accepted part of racing.  

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 09:05:06 PM »

Welcome Blue Oval.
 I agree also, that Fox needs some real changes.
 Cheryl, I don't watch that Pre Race Show, because of all that stupid stuff.
Frankly, I'm hoping that Sirius goes bankrupt trying to pay Howard Stern and Nascar stays with XM. If not, I'll get by anyhow.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
derbyit857
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 09:10:29 PM »

Because some of the people at Fox seemed to be too full of themselves.  Did anyone see yesterday's pre-race show with that truly disgusting cut from that movie coming out where they use DW's idiotic phrase?   :smt078   Now he really will think it's a universally accepted part of racing.  

Cheryl

I sure did Cheryl!  It didn't make me want to run out and see that movie that's for sure!   I still don't get why people think the BBB thing hasn't been done to death. It's almost like someone tells these clowns to say it or mention it before they get in front of the camera!
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2006, 09:20:45 PM »

Quote from: "derbyit857"

Cheryl

I sure did Cheryl!  It didn't make me want to run out and see that movie that's for sure!   I still don't get why people think the BBB thing hasn't been done to death. It's almost like someone tells these clowns to say it or mention it before they get in front of the camera!

Oh, I'm sure they do.  Plus every damn show (or replay) on Fox/Speed has to have it in it lately.  Like Beyond the Wheel which is a great show, but why does some idiot at Fox think that we need to hear that crap as part of a serious documentary?Huh?

Cheryl
Blue Oval
Rookie

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2006, 03:11:09 AM »

I've been around a long time. Just to set the record straight, the term that we all have loved to hate is not a DW original. It came from an old Chubby Checker song "Pony Time" in 1961. It may have been used in several other do-wop songs over the years. I have noticed that DW must be a music fan as he refers to old songs quite frequently.

ay those Chevy's always be staring at a Ford's tail lights.
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2006, 05:02:36 PM »

Boy you have been around a long time if you remember that song, Blue Oval. :-D  Unfortunately, I do remember it too!

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Vivian
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2006, 09:18:23 PM »

Hey Al!

first off, do you work for or are you a Ford fan?Huh?

Next, I liked "Pony Time" by Chubby Checker and danced to it many times.  And I also recall those words being in other songs.  But DW definitely tends to overdo it and the other announcers egg him on.  They must think they want to leave a legacy and tradition for all the more recent fans to pass on.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: