November 24, 2017, 11:17:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stewart Running Indy?  (Read 1331 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: May 23, 2004, 09:10:02 PM »

Lou turned over the ESPN after the Busch race ended.  Either they are trying to make a big PR joke or Tony Stewart is considering running the 500 driving for A J Foyt.  I just said "how would those two egos exist on the same team?"   :lol:

They just showed that he had passed his physical for the 500, but he hasn't come right out and said he would run.  It could all be a publicity stunt.

One of the announcers on ABC (coverage just switched there from ESPN) just said something like: "Hey Darrell Waltrip and the NASCAR announcers...I think Tony Stewart just made a statement to you like 'hey, I can go win the Indy 500'..."  Pretty in your face to Fox!   :lol:

Cheryl
17RoushFan
Veteran

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004, 10:07:57 AM »

Nope, Stewart tried, but there was some sort of contract issue. The rain really affected things also. He wants to do the Indy 500 next year. Man, I am pumped for the best racing weekend of the year next weekend(IMO). Cheesy

tuned in to watch some commercials, but when they went to break, i saw a nascar race!
17RoushFan
Veteran

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004, 10:09:52 AM »

By the way, it was Jack Arute who gave the retort to Darrell Waltrip-I agree, that was pretty strong!

tuned in to watch some commercials, but when they went to break, i saw a nascar race!
ronbarnes7777
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2004, 02:46:49 PM »

tony shouls have known that gm would have never let him run indy in a toyota.i mean really what was tony thinking common sense is called for here.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2004, 04:08:05 PM »

Another way to look at it is that Tony has found a possible bargaining chip in case his relations with the NASCAR community deteriorates further.  His conduct both on and off the track has left him on thin ice.

Also, have you noticed that nothing like this happened last year?  Does this have anything to do with car owner Joe Gibbs returning to the Washington Redskins as head coach?  Gibbs seemed to be a moderating influence on him when he was around the garage area regularly.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2004, 04:26:09 PM »

Quote from: "Desmond"
Another way to look at it is that Tony has found a possible bargaining chip in case his relations with the NASCAR community deteriorates further.  His conduct both on and off the track has left him on thin ice.

I was thinking exact same thing yesterday when I saw him at Indy!  Of course, contrary to popular opinion, I'd be just as happy if he'd go back to pointy cars where I think he belongs.   :wink:

Quote from: "Desmond"
Also, have you noticed that nothing like this happened last year?  Does this have anything to do with car owner Joe Gibbs returning to the Washington Redskins as head coach?  Gibbs seemed to be a moderating influence on him when he was around the garage area regularly.

Again, contrary to popular opinion, I don't give Gibbs all the credit that everyone else does.  I don't think anyone can control Tony.  He's used to having his own way; others be damned.

Cheryl
ronbarnes7777
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2004, 03:07:39 PM »

hey desmond you make sense with that opinion.tony made no secret that he wants to win the indy 500 more than any other race.
17RoushFan
Veteran

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2004, 07:13:20 PM »

he still has "the fever."

Vivian
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2004, 09:07:23 PM »

I don't think Gibbs not being there has anything to do with it either.  I think Tony is just frustrated because he hasn't won and I kind of think it was just a publicity stunt but now like 17Roush Fan said, he still has the fever and I look for him to try to do it next year.  But not for A.J.  Would not surprise me if a new co-owner came into the IRL and somehow Tony was named the driver for limited races.  Maybe my thoughts will start a new rumor and it will spread like wildfire!  :roll:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: