November 23, 2017, 12:52:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Late 'debris'?  (Read 1198 times)
sally
« on: March 13, 2006, 01:55:32 AM »

Once again, there are several convenient debris cautions late in the race that close the field up.  Once again, a GWC finish.  Nascar can once again boast about having a 'close' finish.  Maybe they should just stop pretending and have a standard caution with 5 laps to go?

Sally
azbobbybooshay10
Veteran

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 07:32:47 AM »

I thought that huge peice of sheetmetal of Kenny Wallace's car was perfectly good grounds for a caution, personally. I believe every debris caution today they did show debris laying on the track in some fashion (the one that I remember specifically was that half a spring rubber, which would cause some SERIOUS issues if someone ran over it at 180mph).

If there's legitimately debris on the track, those cautions really don't bother me. At least Fox looks like they are making an attempt to show the debris that brought out the caution.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 02:28:28 PM »

It the caution had just been for Stewart's flat tire, I'd agree it was bogus.  But then they did show the accident where someone took off Wallace's fender, so I could live with a caution for that.  Although the announcers on PRN and many callers to their post-race show seemed to have missed Wallace's fender.  Makes you wonder if that actually happened at the end of the race or not.   :lol:

All I know is twice when Matt was leading, debris cautions came out.  I couldn't help but think of his comments earlier this week about NASCAR "manufacturing" close finishes.  He probably really feels like he's being picked on now.  

But it was a good finish!  Not anywhere near as close as Carl's at Atlanta last year (as TV kept claiming), but still an exciting finish.  I like Johnson and Kenseth about the same, so that was a perfect ending for me - one where I didn't care which one got the win.  At least we got something after sitting through a pretty boring race.

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 05:57:23 PM »

Quote from: "azbobbybooshay10"
I thought that huge peice of sheetmetal of Kenny Wallace's car was perfectly good grounds for a caution, personally.

Agreed, Bobby!

By the way, did you know that this is the first time in NASCAR's brief history with green/white/checkered that such a finish has occurred in three consecutive races in the Nextel Cup Series?  And they also happen to be the first three of a new season.

And, of course, Jimmie Johnson and the acting crew chief win two of them.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Lou
Administrator
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 11:37:07 PM »

Quote from: "Cheryl"
Although the announcers on PRN and many callers to their post-race show seemed to have missed Wallace's fender.  Makes you wonder if that actually happened at the end of the race or not.

Must be the paranoid cynic in me, but when I heard the radio people acting like the sheet metal from Wallace never happened, my thoughts also instantly went to how the magic of video tape could be used to alter what you think happened on the track.

Just another one of those things that make you go hmmmmmmm....

ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 11:55:05 PM »

Cheesy  Cheesy i think the issue of the late race cautions is  aggraviated by it constantly being used at the end of races once or twice i can understand but in the last 30 races there have been 13 races where a caution has come out in the last 20 laps and the networks(including nbc)never show the debris.the networks need to understand their credibtly is at stake too.  :oops:  :oops:
sally
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 02:27:19 AM »

On IWC tonight, Mikey said that throwing a caution during some races makes for a better 'show'.  It is, after all, Nascar's descretion as to when to throw a caution, and what for.  A single car spin (Nemecchek) with no cntact, no debris?

See, Lou?  Just because we're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you!

Sal
Vivian
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 02:29:34 AM »

Thanks, Sally, for that bit of info.  Now that I know Mikey was on Inside Cup today, I won't watch tonight.  I just hate hearing his suck up and all about him agenda.
azbobbybooshay10
Veteran

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 09:59:48 AM »

Yeah Mikey was a huge NASCAR fanboy tonight (except for seeming quite perterbed about his penalty in the Busch race on Saturday). When he made that comment about "Well the caution creates more excitement at the end" I almost threw my remote at the TV.

Jeff Burton raised a great point about Nemencheks spin and whether or not 7 years ago that would have brought out a caution or not. Very interesting discussion they had about that.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 04:08:10 PM »

Yeah Mikey was a huge NASCAR fanboy tonight (except for seeming quite perterbed about his penalty in the Busch race on Saturday). When he made that comment about "Well the caution creates more excitement at the end" I almost threw my remote at the TV.

Michael really made me sick on IWC last night!  First, when Dave asked if TV could do a better job with the broadcasts, Mikey went on lovefest for DW and how he "adds so much excitement."   :smt078   He pretty much was saying that TV does all they do to encourage "new fans" from flipping the channel.  Sure makes it clear no one (drivers or TV) really care about all us "old" fans.  

Then he gave his opinion of why Kyle Busch ought to have simply moved over and let Stewart go by "because he's a two-time champion."  Great rationale there, Mikey.  

And lastly, the part about "I wouldn't even know how to drive aggressively" when acting so innocent about his penalty for hitting Anthony Foyt in the Busch race.  Give me a break!  I'm betting Jeff Green would disagree with him about not knowing how to drive aggressively (after their multiple incidents at Martinsville last year).  

Thankfully, Ken Schrader was making his usual faces and comments that showed he felt Michael was full of it.  

Jeff Burton raised a great point about Nemencheks spin and whether or not 7 years ago that would have brought out a caution or not. Very interesting discussion they had about that.

Since I've been following the sport, it has been pretty clear it depends on who "needs" a caution as to when they throw it.  But they have certainly increased them significantly in the last few years.  Coincidentally since that stupid free pass came to be and their favorites are a lap down or about to go a lap down.  Sunday was certainly an example of that.  TV told us a couple times how those timely debris cautions "saved" people who were about to go a lap down (some in the same position each time).  I always say if it's not your day, it's not your day.  If someone is being lapped every 50 or so laps, they don't deserve to be on the lead lap IMHO.  

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2006, 05:38:30 PM »

Quote from: "Lou"
Quote from: "Cheryl"
Although the announcers on PRN and many callers to their post-race show seemed to have missed Wallace's fender.  Makes you wonder if that actually happened at the end of the race or not.

Must be the paranoid cynic in me, but when I heard the radio people acting like the sheet metal from Wallace never happened, my thoughts also instantly went to how the magic of video tape could be used to alter what you think happened on the track.

Just another one of those things that make you go hmmmmmmm....

I think you are correct, Lou, sooo,...
    HHHMMMMMMMMMMM! :-D

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: