November 21, 2017, 07:18:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Under the lights  (Read 792 times)
Vivian
« on: May 23, 2004, 04:39:25 PM »

racing seems so much more exciting to me as a fan.  In the open, my heart broke for so many drivers due to that first incident.  Half the field out and due to something that was not a stupid move on the part of a driver.  The last few laps were good though.

The interview with Kurt seemed rather phoney on his part.  All three were teammates.  Why would he try to push Biffle ahead just so they could get ahead of Matt Kenseth?  Motor jealousy already?  I think the competition was good and the last few laps of competition between Ryan and Matt was great.  Wish they both could have won.  And I really was pulling for Terry but unfortunately, he wound up going backwards.

So many cars torn up.  I really liked Rusty's paint job along with Tony's.  Glad neither of them got smashed to smitherines.

Gotta get ready to watch the Busch race in about an hour.  Hope it is a good one.  Hate to see Nazerath go away.  Sad, sad.... :cry:
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2004, 06:22:03 PM »

I think that NASCAR should have staged a complete restart of last night's Nextel Open rather than resume it under caution.  Was NASCAR that pressed for time?  It was unfair to a lot of drivers in the field, since they had fewer laps to race toward the front.

BTW, this is my 50th post.  Can't wait for Vivian's 200th!  I love her new footer.

Also, would like to ask Vivian what she liked so much about Nazareth.  I'm not too familiar with that track.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
sally
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2004, 06:30:23 PM »

Of course Nascar...or rather, the television broadcast, was pressed for time!  The only reason it worked one time was because of the rain delay.  Jeff Burton's team even had time to change motors before the rain stopped and they dried the track.  I think Nascar has some nerve telling fans that a late restart at Telladega is too dangerous, when stuff like this happens all the time at this stupid, meaningless, race that isn't even a race!
Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2004, 08:26:42 PM »

I absolutely disagree that they should have restarted the race.  I think they made the right decision in this instance.  Wrecks caused by drivers at the start of a race happen all the time.  3-4 years ago when NASCAR chose to send the drivers out knowing it was raining is an entirely different story.  There was nothing the drivers could do to avoid wrecking in that deluge.  

I hated to see so many guys wrecked that early in the Open as well, but I think NASCAR made the right call last night.  

But what about the finish to the Open?  Wow!  That was probably the best last few laps of any Cup race I've seen all year!  The move Jeremy made to drive in deep and get until Jamie was amazing.  Then Jamie getting completely sideways and saving it.  And the Beer Man getting under both of them to take the win.  Lou and I jumped up and did a high five over that one!  Great finish!  Too bad the "main" event didn't have anything like that.  Frankly, it was so boring, I fell asleep.  Had to record the last 60 laps of it and watch it this morning to write a review.  I was awake enough to see Kenseth's great pass for the win, but other than that, we sure didn't see much good racing compared to the Open. How sad...

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 12:42:09 AM »

My 200th post is under the review forum but YAHOO!  One more time:  YAHOO!!!  
Nazarath has been around many years and although the racing is not that great there, it just means we are losing another track although it was not Cup that raced there.  Just so many going by the wayside. And you know, I still can't get that last image of the fans walking away down the railroad tracks from Martinsville and knowing in a few years it will totally be history too, just like so many others.  I guess that now everything is magnified because Nascar is deserting us oldies but goodies.  Might as well refer to us as songs; after all the announcers refer to our beloved racing as football, baseball, wrestling and now even horse racing.  

I agreed with the fact they did not restart the race after that first lap accident.  If they had then they would have opened another can of worms.  When the rain came and the track was still wet last time then that was Nascar's fault and it was right to restart that one.  Now to take Nascar's or maybe even Larry McReynolds view of that kind of restart for this year, it would have been like them saying in the NFL: rekick, the receiver missed when he fell. Ah, ha, ha, ha!!   :oops:  And can someone tell me why they could work on the cars during the red flag but no one could remove that piece of paper from the grill of whoever's car that was that they showed?   :? I keep wanting to say Kenseth's but not sure.  Anyone remember that incident and the talk surrounding it?
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 02:09:55 AM »

Quote from: "Vivian"
And can someone tell me why they could work on the cars during the red flag but no one could remove that piece of paper from the grill of whoever's car that was that they showed?   :? I keep wanting to say Kenseth's but not sure.  Anyone remember that incident and the talk surrounding it?

I remember it and I wondered the same thing at the time.  My only explanation was that maybe those cars has not really pitted, but were simply stopped somewhere before their actual pit stalls.  But TV could have done a better job of explaining the differences to the viewers.  I wish I'd remembered to mention that in my review.  Thanks for bringing it up though, Vivian.

Cheryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: