March 21, 2018, 03:39:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: IRL/Champ Car reunion?  (Read 717 times)

« on: March 01, 2006, 05:53:18 PM »

This week, rumors resurfaced of a merger between the ChampCar World Series and the Indy Racing League.

AutoWeek magazine even provided proposed details: Tony George and Kevin Kalkhoven would be co-chairmen, the cars would have Honda bodies and Cosworth engines, and the series would begin in 2007 with 13-15 races.

I would like to know if the merged organization will challenge NASCAR for popularity.  I'm sure Bryan especially will have something to say on this.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Bryan Blanton

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 07:00:55 PM »

I think autoweek's article is false or not true.

I was reading something on about this last week and both side seemed pretty negative about the article.

So it'll probably be awhile yet before or even if their is a reunion.

From what kalkhoven said to the speedchannel it doesn't look good.

I know 1 of the things kalkhoven said he said if people truly care for open wheel racing he said something like the best thing people can do is to leave him and tony george alone.

Kalkhoven sounds like a real nice guy doesn't he.
Blue Oval

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 09:29:17 PM »

The entire problem with open wheel racing is that there a few people who have personal agendas against either Champ Car or the IRL. And they have allowed this to fester for ten years. Hev you noticed that no one discusses the postives of both series. Everything is negative. It's hardly ever about the racing and the drivers. They have managed to turn off enough people to place both series in jeopardy of collapse. There is absolutely no reason why both series can't thrive in a country as big as this. The only thing I wouldn't do is do head to head with each other on tv or with NASCAR. This involves scheduling and they can work that out.

One thing both series are doing that is good for the bottom line but not for creating fans is street races. Thses are evidently nothing more then weekend parties that the racing is a part of. If Long Beach, St Pete and the rest created fans out of the supposed hundreds of thousands they draw over a weekend there would be no open wheel crisis in the US.

One thing I would advise everyone who is with a couple of hours drive of Richmond is go to the IRL race there in June. In my opinion that may just be the most exciting auto race in the country. It is truly unbelievable. The speeds they do on that bullring and the maneuvering is mind boggling. And the crowd grows every year there. It is the IRL version of Bristol.

I think one of the miscomceptions about open wheel racing is that it was more popular thaen NASCAR before the split. Well that is nothing more than open wheel hype. Open wheel used the Indy 500 ratings and attendence to increase the ratings and attendence averages for the other races. NASCAR racing started to surpass open wheel with the superspeedway age.

One other major problem with open wheel is that when they hire a driver (American or not) no one has heard of them. Because they came up through the least popular form of racing in the US, road racing. Had they hired the Jeff Gordons, Tony Stewarts, Casey Kahns etc they would have fared alot better. And they still continue to miss the boat in that dept. Danica helped but she can't do it on her own.

ay those Chevy's always be staring at a Ford's tail lights.
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 01:03:35 AM »

Interesting.  I've tried watching some of the pointy cars race, and find I just can't get interested.  Since I don't care who wins I find myself drifting off to do other things.  I know they race closely, what?  I guess maybe it's because I just can't relate to them as being cars.  They're more like planes without wings....except for downforce.  I'd much rather watch the Rolex or Grand Am races.  Like the short tracks that made Nascar great, the traffic there with all the various classes keeps things very interesting for me.  And strategy.  I've tried, believe me, but I just can't relate to it.

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 08:30:39 PM »

WELCOME, Blue Oval

Good to have you join us.  Jump in often, please.

I am one who likes all racing and will watch if it does not conflict with anything else I prefer.  We just have to remember it is all about politics no matter what league it is and very seldom does anything else rule when it comes to handling a series, imo
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: