November 23, 2017, 04:29:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good Article on Canadian Fans  (Read 2488 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: March 03, 2006, 09:13:20 PM »

Ed Hinton makes some great points in this article about all the Canadian NASCAR fans out there (eh, Craig?).   Cheesy   I've met Canadian fans in Charlotte, Dover, Martinsville, and Talladega.  I particularly like Hinton's point that NA$CAR seems to take them for granted since they already have them.  Not unlike us long-term fans... Sad

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/motorracing/orl-hinton0306mar03,1,1160401.column?coll=orl-sports-utility-motorracing

Cheryl
derbyit857
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 09:05:07 PM »

What's this "eh" stuff?  :-)    Just joking there Cheryl! ha ha ha

Great article.. They sure do take us for granted.  It's a shame really they do that.  

So many people I know from up here head to Michigan to watch the race there because it is so close.  I find Michigan's races boring so I'd rather drive the extra 12+ hrs and head to Charlotte/Martinsville, etc.

Craig
sally
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 09:13:07 PM »

Right with you derbyit!  I live 2 hours from MIS, but refuse to attend their poor excuse for a 'race.  I drive the 12 hours to Bristol!

sal
derbyit857
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 09:36:20 PM »

Bristol???

DROOOOOOOOOOL...

I keep joking with my wife that I am going to take out a loan sometime and get there through buying tickets though some on-line source..

My first trek to a short track was Martinsville last year and that was a blast!

But Bristol..  I'd LOVE to get there.

Craig
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 12:13:23 AM »

Great article, Ed!

NASCAR is always notorious for its favoritism, and this is no exception.  Canadians will support a live NASCAR race as well, if not better, than Mexicans--and lots of Mexicans have attended both Busch Series races so far.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
sally
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 03:17:53 AM »

Derbyit...I suggest you go on line to the Bristol website for tickets.  That's how I got to bristol for the spring race the first time.  And the tickets aren't that outrageous...we have good seats on the backstretch off turn 2, high enough to see everything, and they cost about $125.  Of course, it's the motel and gas that kills you!  I never thought I'd get to Bristol, either, but now I have 'season' tickets!  Forget ticket brokers, go to the web site!

sal
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 01:39:43 PM »

Craig,

There's a guy on my other racing list who was trying to sell two tickets to the March 25th race.  I'm not sure if that's too short of notice for you, but I could send you his email address off-list if you're interested.  I know everyone wants night race tickets, but even the spring race there is a good place to start.  And I know this guy only wants face value, plus shipping.  Let me know and I can hook you up with him.

Cheryl
derbyit857
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 04:27:39 PM »

Looks like we are going to Bristol (thanks to Cheryl for the hookup!!)... CAN'T WAIT!

I really need some tips on parking, etc. though since it's our first trip.  The cheapest hotel rates we can get for a room with double beds is out in VA for $571 for 4 nights..  It's a plain jane hotel too..  I am thinking about camping (just a tent) and found a place called Bristol Race Camping (http://www.bristolracecamping.com).  I need advice from anyone who's been at the track on what you did when you went.  And what you would suggest I do differently or the same.  We will be driving our car to the track..

Ideally a hotel is our preferred method but we aren't ruling out camping.

I need a reply ASAP as we need to get the accomidations booked.  

Craig
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 05:55:51 PM »

Laidback Racing is another good source of information.  The fans who started the web site camp out at every race they attend.  Jo Ann Hlavac, one of those fans, even had an article published recently at NASCAR.com.

By the way, Craig, is that your daughter holding a doll?

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
derbyit857
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 08:24:52 PM »

Hi Desmond.

Thanks for the tip. I will check it out.

As for my daughter, she's holding our new son.. He arrived on Feb. 23rd..  7lbs 12 oz and 21 1/2" long..

Craig
"Proud Pappa"
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 08:40:11 PM »

I know I already said it in private email, but I have to say it again publically:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!  

on the Bristol tickets.    :lol:    

Oh yes...and the new baby too!   :-D

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2006, 04:36:50 AM »

Way to go on the tickets!  We usually stay in Boone, NC, about an hour from the track, and it hasn't been too bad.  (but cheaper than what you found).  Tip #1:  Get to the track EARLY unless you want to be in a 10 mile parking lot!  Pack a lunch, drinks, etc, and you can picnic to pass the time.
#2 - pack for any weather.  It can get hot, or definitely chilly.
If you get there early enough, you can either park free along the roads in (off the pavement) for free, or pay $10 to 20 to park close to the track.  The bristol website has good tips, and they will quickly answer any questions you have.  Contact them, they're nice folks.

Mostly, have a BALL!  There is NO track like Bristol!

Sal
derbyit857
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2006, 05:05:58 PM »

Thanks Cheryl for the congrats!

And thank you Sally for the tips.  I will try calling BMS later today to see what they can suggest for a "first timer" when it comes to accomidations other than what I have printed off from the various sites (including theirs). There are so many camping choices around there, it's hard to believe.

Craig
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2006, 05:23:27 PM »

Quote from: "derbyit857"
There are so many camping choices around there, it's hard to believe.

There has to be more in Bristol than any other track!  I think we heard on XM last year when we were camping there that they had like 200 campgrounds!   :shock:

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2006, 09:50:21 PM »

Craig, your children are just precious.  Congratulations on the new one!!!

Also, enjoy Bristol and be sure and give us a full report when you get back.  Have fun and stay safe.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: