November 20, 2017, 08:31:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Earnhardt, Jr. Never Wants to Hear BBB Again!  (Read 2021 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: February 17, 2006, 04:11:39 PM »

I'm off today and cleaning the house for our annual Daytona Party.  Had XM's NASCAR channel on.  Normally, I wouldn't listen to Earnhardt, Jr.'s show, but was too lazy to go downstairs to change the channel.  Was happy to hear he had Shane Huffman from USAR on the show.  It was sort of a "panel" discussion at the end with Shane's new crew chief, Wes Ward, and some other guy in charge of JR Motorsports (didn't get his name).  They had a couple of email questions from fans and one was something like what does he think of TV coverage or who is his favorite announcer.  Can't remember the exact question.  Anyway, the group talked more about how they liked Barney Hall on MRN and the old ESPN and CBS crews.  When the moderator got to current coverage, Earnhardt said that he felt the best announcer out there right now was Wally Dallenbach.  The others seemed to agree with him.  I thought that was great that a group of current professionals in the sport liked Wally's insight and style.  Then entire group moaned and said they NEVER wanted to hear BBB again!  Maybe this means the "Earnhardt Nation" will turn against that phrase and Fox will finally get a CLUE and drop it!   :-D

Okay, I can hope...

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 05:26:33 PM »

Quote from: "Cheryl"
Maybe this means the "Earnhardt Nation" will turn against that phrase and Fox will finally get a CLUE and drop it!

So what if it did happen?  DW will go ahead, say it anyway, and risk pitting the Earnhardts against the Waltrips, ending their long-time friendship.  After all, to paraphrase what we hear a lot in NASCAR, "he is who he is." :x

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 09:15:06 PM »

IMO, DW is so star struck on himself that no one will ever convince him any different that the fans love it and his perception is one that just can't be wrong so he thinks.  So I don't look for him to drop it.  Again, jmo, but I am glad JR said he hated it.  But so did Mike Helton and it didn't make a bit of difference.

BTW, Cheryl....was Tony on that show?  I will have to ask Don if he heard it.
sally
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 10:49:38 PM »

Sounds as if Junior isn't the only one who is tired of some things!

During a conference call Wednesday, Dallenbach took some shots at his Fox Sports counterpart Darrell Waltrip. Although not calling him by name, it was very clear whom he was talking about when asked how Rusty Wallace, who retired after last season and recently was hired by ABC Sports/ESPN, will do as a broadcaster.

"Rusty's going to be fine as long as Rusty calls what he's seeing," Dallenbach said.

"We don't need any more grandstanding and talking about themselves in the booth. As long as the guy calls the race, and gives the guys that are on the racetrack the coverage and not himself, he'll do great."

Right ON Wally!!!

Sally
Vivian
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 12:09:14 AM »

Wow, if Wally is saying that, then maybe things will perk up and we will get some changes when ABC/ESPN comes along.  Where did you read that???
sally
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 01:07:27 PM »

Here's the link, Viv.

http://www.tbo.com/sports/autoracing/MGBOJFZXRJE.html

Sal
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2006, 04:37:45 PM »

Way to go Wally! Cheesy

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Vivian
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 09:51:06 PM »

Thanks for the link, Sally.

And to repeat what Dick said, "Way to go, Wally!"  Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006, 11:47:44 PM »

I finally got around to reading his comments this morning and I was proud of him too.  Made me sorry that Rusty has alreayd been tapped to be the "color analyst" for ABC/ESPN next year.  Perhaps Wally can work with him and Jerry Punch (if he ends up being the anchor - which I think would be a good thing).

Cheryl
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2006, 05:13:52 AM »

I can't wait to hear Crusty's commentary.  I just hope he maintains his driver's perspective.  I know he wasn't always popular, but I do feel he expressed his true sentiments rather than a can of sponsorship BS.  I only hope he doesn't feel inclined to hype Kenny as another former champion broadcaster does his lil' brother.

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2006, 01:10:13 PM »

James,

Please stay away from derogatory nicknames for drivers and the TV people.  Trust me, I have plenty of things I call a few of them between Lou and I, but I try to keep them off of here so as not to offend the fans of those drivers.   Smiley

Thanks a lot!  

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2006, 05:37:02 PM »

I agree with James on Rusty Wallace's announcing style.  I also think that Rusty is more objective than Darrell Waltrip is when it comes to family members.

During coverage of the Gatorade Duel, he dispassionately covered his brother Mike's engine failure during his race.  Imagine what DW might have said if the same thing happened to Mikey. :twisted:

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2006, 01:28:53 AM »

James,

Please stay away from derogatory nicknames for drivers and the TV people. Trust me, I have plenty of things I call a few of them between Lou and I, but I try to keep them off of here so as not to offend the fans of those drivers. Smile

I'm sorry about that.  I didn't intend to offend anyone, but then we never do :oops:

I've always admired Rusty for many things and his candor is one of the main ones.  I'm not a fan of a particular driver so much as a NASCAR fan.  Yes, there are drivers I like better than others, but I respect all of the drivers.  There are thousands of people, out of millions,  with the ability  to do what they do.  I admire the current drivers ability to do their multifaceted tasks.  

Once again, I apologize to all for any inferred prejudice.

James

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2006, 08:57:01 PM »

No big deal, James!   I just don't want anyone else to be tempted to use their driver nicknames here.    :lol:   Because things could get ugly.  

Cheryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: