November 22, 2017, 01:33:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You Just Might Make Me Believe  (Read 834 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: February 17, 2006, 01:34:43 PM »

That's a line from a recent county hit by the group Sugarland and has been running through my head since last night's race.  

I've been the biggest skeptic about the hopes of so many Petty and Bobby Labonte fans that their teaming would produce impressive results.  I'm sorry to say I've always heard that the Pettys were pretty cheap with their race teams and since I've been following the sport, the results have proven that to be true.  Then with Kyle losing his son, it's seemed to me his focus was not on the race team but honoring Adam with the Victory Junction Camp.  I'm not saying that is a bad thing, but it has left Petty Enterprises floundering for many years.  

But it does seem that the acquisition of three former Winston Cup Champion crew chiefs (Robbie Loomis, Todd Parrott, and Paul Andrews) is starting to pay off for the team.  

As some of you might know, Bobby Labonte is one of my many favorite drivers.  But to me, it appeared he had been playing second fiddle to his more extoverted teammate at Gibbs Racing the last few years.  When he made the announcement he was leavning last fall, I took the news with mixed feelings.  Yes, I think he needed to get away from JGR, but no I certainly thought moving to Petty Enterprises was a real step down.

Many fans were ecstatic thinking his move would bring Petty Enterprises back to the glory they experienced in Richard's heyday in the 60s and 70s.  I was definitely not that otimistic.  

But so far, based on Bobby's strong qualifying run and a solid run in yesterday's race, I'm feeling the move WAS a good thing for all parties.  I also found it very interesting when the announcers told us that recently was the first time the Pettys had cut the body off a car and totally rebuilt it in several years.  

It has just seemed like to me that though Dodge leaned heavily on the Petty name when they reentered the sport 5 years ago, they never truly gave factory support to the Petty teams.  It all seemed to go to Evernham and Ganassi (at least the first couple of years).  Then when Penske switched to Dodge, the factory support seemed to move from Ganassi to Penske.  With PE still not getting anything.  Hopefully, with a past champion of both the Busch and Cup series now behind the wheel, maybe  Dodge will share a little of their technology with PE.  At least I hope so.  

Anyway, I'm feeling a lot more optimistic about Bobby's future after what I've seen from the famed 43 car during the last week.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it continues through Sunday.  And I'll keep humming that Sugarland song from now until then.   :-D

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 03:44:44 PM »

Cheryl, WHEN, that's right, WHEN, B. Lab gets his first win for P/E, there won't be a dry eye in the house, including mine! I think we all are pulling for the 43 team, at least for now, especially we older folks--I'm excluding you from that category. :-D
  Besides, my entire family likes Cheerios! Cheesy

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 05:32:09 PM »

I also predict a Bobby Labonte win this year; I think that it will happen at Martinsville on April 2.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 06:12:17 PM »

Or maybe at Atlanta, Desmond, Bobby has always run wel at Atlanta.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 07:54:32 PM »

I'm not going to predict and jinx him.   Cheesy

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 09:24:03 PM »

I won't predict anything either.  But it does seem they are putting themselves in a better spot this year and I hope it works well for them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: