November 20, 2017, 02:32:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Solution for "pit road entry" problem  (Read 598 times)
azbobbybooshay10
Veteran

« on: February 16, 2006, 02:05:03 PM »

***This post edited by the moderator***

After Cousin Carl's incident during the Shootout Sunday, I think something needs to be done about warning drivers behind you that you are pitting. The way the headrests and harnesses are around the drivers, you really can't put your hand up like you used to.

The CART guys use a thing on the "superspeedways" that if you're going to pit the next lap, you dip your left side tires below the yellow line on the backstretch. With the way the cars move around now and occasionaly put the left sides under the yellow line, that may not be the best thing, but it could be done.

The idea I like was brought up on Speedtv's forum the other day. Put a small LED red light in the rear windows, and if you're going to pit, you flip a switch on the dash and it either comes on or blinks or something. This way you clearly signal the driver behind you that you're pitting, and other cars around you know you are pitting as well. its something very simple and could use 2 AA batteries for power and be installed in the cars in 5 minutes or so, plenty of time to do between now and Sunday. Heck they could do it in time for the Twins which are later today!

One other idea I just got would have a "line" on the inside in the chute between turn 4 and the tri over that you pull down onto the inside of almost immediatly off of 4. That entire are is paved for about 100 feet or so inside the yellow line, so thats not a problem. Possibly back up the pit road entry line and "commitment line" back from pit road. Maybe not neccesarily make pit road speed in effect back there, but you have to be slowing down and below it if you're pitting. I noticed Carls problem was that other drivers were still completly above the yellow line and slammed on their brakes! They were still totally in the racing line and just slammed on the brakes in front of Carl. If you make them get below that line as soon as they come off 4, that kind of thing isn't as likely to happen.

I doubt that Jim Hunter is reading this forum, but if he is, thats my idea to fix this!
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 05:15:53 PM »

I don't know what Cheryl took out of Bobby's original post, but the resulting idea is good! Cheesy

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 06:04:49 PM »

Quote from: "Desmond"
I don't know what Cheryl took out of Bobby's original post, but the resulting idea is good! Cheesy

Absolutely nothing about his idea, just taking some specific drivers' names out of the description.  I just feel the point could have been made without pointing fingers at any one driver.

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 09:30:08 PM »

I thought Bobby made some good points.  My concern is that sometimes they may change their mind at the last minute and that could create more problems.  Same as if they used brake lights.  Those Nascar drivers are very cunning and will do anything, including deceiving their fellow racers, to gain an advantage.  For some reason, I think the open wheel drivers have more courtesy on the track because they really get dinged if they screw up.  Their sanctioning bodies are more consistant with penalties if they think there was a foul of some sort.  JMO...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: