November 19, 2017, 05:15:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another New Show--Back To The Day  (Read 2185 times)
old hot rodder
All-Star

« on: February 14, 2006, 06:34:32 PM »

Did anyone else see a show on SPEED with Junior last night at 9:00 Eastern? It was called something like "Back to The Day", and featured the 1972 600 mile race at Charlotte. It was fun for an old dog like me to watch even though it demonstrated or provoked several points to ponder:
  1--I never did figure just what Junior's role in the show might be, even tho he did seem to be a decent "host";
  2--Boy o boy has the camers work improved since 1972;
   3--the old cars really looked like stock cars, (hooray!);
   4--the racing was pretty good then, just like we oldtimers claim!

I'd be interested if any of you younger folks saw the show and what you thought.
 Dick Cheesy

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Vivian
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 09:44:11 PM »

I am not a younger folk, but I did watch.  I really liked the racing part and as Dick said, the look of the cars.  They were really stock cars and looked like the ones we drove or bought on Monday.  That is the way racing should be.  Hey, there was cool passing in 1972.  The announcer was all business and effecient.  No B.S. at all.  The popup info was kind of good and brought back memories, but it also interferred with watching the racing and I didn't catch it all so I would just as soon not have it there at all.  

As far as Junior's role, I guess he did okay but it also wasted a lot of time that we could have watched the racing.  JMO....
sally
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 10:02:51 PM »

It's my understanding that much of the footage shown on the show (Back In The Day) is Junior's.  He is a real history buff of racing, and has collected as much film and video of early Nascar racing as he can get his hands on.

Sally
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 10:56:22 PM »

Those are interesting points, ladies. I forgot about the pop ups, Vivian, but I agree with your thought.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 07:00:54 PM »

Actually, the groundwork for the show is a 1970s series called Car and Track, which was hosted by Bud Lindeman.  I understand that it was the only regular TV series dealing with stock-car racing in that period (except for a few segments on Wide World of Sports).

It was fun to see what the cars, drivers, and even the track looked like years ago.  It made me appreciate the pace of growth of NASCAR over the last three-plus decades.  Imagine, for example, the Charlotte track with no retail-store name, condos, or even lights!  That's what we saw Monday night.

I do agree with Dick that Dale Earnhardt Jr. was on the screen a lot.  Then again, he is not only the host but the executive producer, so he has that right.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 02:19:10 AM »

I ended up watching this show between quals and the truck race Friday night (since there was nothing else on).  The footage was somewhat interesting, but I could NOT stand the distraction of those constant stupid pop culture pop-up graphics and silly noises.  Is this how the new generation thinks you honor racing's past?  Seems to me someone's been watching too many VH-1 Pop-Up videos.  I guess the producers thought the "new fans" wouldn't be interested enough in actual racing to stick around for a whole half hour.  That footage was very similar to those old Darlington highlights the old Speedvision used to show.  

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 08:07:29 PM »

I agree, Cheryl.  That is TMI (too much information).

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 09:18:37 PM »

Quote from: "Desmond"
I agree, Cheryl.  That is TMI (too much information).

Or too much non-racing information...

Cheryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: