November 18, 2017, 11:19:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Time Disallowed?  (Read 2071 times)
sally
« on: February 13, 2006, 01:41:18 AM »

I was just walking into the room and caught the tail end of a comment by Bob Dillner on 'Victory Lane'...something about Jimmy Johnson's qualifying time being disallowed because of an illegal...track bar?

Sally
shawn
Legend

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 02:33:23 AM »

Yes, his time was dq'd.  He had an illegal off-set track bar.  Nascar is also looking @ the engines of Jeff Burton and Jeff Gordon.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/5327610

old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 05:07:59 PM »

Jayski is reported to say that Jeff Burton's car is OK. Sure hope so.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 05:27:00 PM »

In all, two cars had their times disallowed.  Jimmie Johnson, who was fifth quickest, was caught with an illegal track bar adjustment on the left side of the car.  This is not the first time that Chad Knaus has been caught, and I'm afraid it won't be the last. :oops:

The other team caught was the brand new Hall of Fame Racing.  The #96 car was found to have an illegal carburetor during post-race inspection, so Terry Labonte now officially has no speed from Sunday.

Both are still scheduled to drive in the Daytona 500, but both will start Thursday's "Twin 150s" from the back of the field.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
sally
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 11:56:16 PM »

Just found this on Jayski this afternoon.

Knaus Ejected from 2006 Daytona 500 Activities UPDATE Hendrick Responds: NASCAR announced today that NASCAR Nextel Cup Series crew chief Chad Knaus has been ejected from any further participation in 2006 Daytona 500 activities as a result of a rules infraction discovered following pole qualifying runs Sunday. Knaus is the crew chief for the #48 Lowe's Chevy driven by Jimmie Johnson. NASCAR said the #48 car failed post-qualifying template inspection in the rear window area. The qualifying time posted by the #48 was disallowed and Johnson will have to start at the rear of the field in the first of two 150-mile qualifying races Thursday. The qualifying time of the #96 DLP Chevy driven by Terry Labonte was also disallowed. NASCAR officials said an unapproved carburetor was found on the 96 car. Labonte will also have to start from the rear of the field in Thursday’s qualifying races. Additional penalties for both cars will be determined following the Daytona 500.(NASCAR PR)(2-13-2006)

Sal
Vivian
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 01:01:18 AM »

I watched Nascar live this morning (noon back east) and gathered from what they were saying that penalties would come down.  Don told me he heard on Claire B. Lang that Chad had been banned all week.  I think they needed to do that.  I did notice that Carl Edwards changed his tune after he was in the truck last night.  Said he understood where Nascar was coming from.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 01:47:33 PM »

Remember "ejecting" a crew chief is not unprecedented.  NASCAR did this with the crew chief of the 29 car after the fuel filler incident at Talladega last year.  Sorry I can't remember his name right now.

As to the "tricked up" rear end on the 48 car, this is nothing new either.  I remember Ken Schrader's team having something at Daytona many years ago.  Can't remember exactly what it was, but I do remember Ricky Rudd (when he owned his own team) having a driver-controlled device to lower his deck lid after he got out on the track.  I like both those drivers, but if you get caught, you pay the price.  Some just don't get caught...

Believe me, I'm not condoning what the 48 team did, just want everyone to keep things in perspective.  As I always say, they are ALL cheating in some way to get that elusive competitive advantage.  

But I think Chad Knaus has now put his team behind the eight-ball as a points deduction is surely coming.  I honestly can't remember if they lost some points once last year, but every point has become important for the championship and this could come back to haunt them down the road.  Of course, with "the Chase," and the resetting of the points in September, I guess this doesn't have as big an impact as it would have a few years ago.   :?

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2006, 05:59:21 PM »

Quote from: "Cheryl"
Remember "ejecting" a crew chief is not unprecedented.  NASCAR did this with the crew chief of the 29 car after the fuel filler incident at Talladega last year.  Sorry I can't remember his name right now.

The crew chief's name is Todd Berrier.  He was fined twice last year, after that race and before that after Las Vegas for the illegal fuel cell at qualifying.

But I think Chad Knaus has now put his team behind the eight-ball as a points deduction is surely coming.

And will Hendrick Motorsports continue to stand by him?  Last December, there were rumors that Knaus was leaving the team to join Evernham Motorsports.  Hendrick denied the rumors and was said to be working on a long-term contract.  Despite the public signs of support, I think the tension behind the scenes is still there.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2006, 06:45:15 PM »

Quote from: "Desmond"
The crew chief's name is Todd Berrier.  He was fined twice last year, after that race and before that after Las Vegas for the illegal fuel cell at qualifying.

Thanks Desmond!

But I think Chad Knaus has now put his team behind the eight-ball as a points deduction is surely coming.

And will Hendrick Motorsports continue to stand by him?  Last December, there were rumors that Knaus was leaving the team to join Evernham Motorsports.  Hendrick denied the rumors and was said to be working on a long-term contract.  Despite the public signs of support, I think the tension behind the scenes is still there.[/quote]

I'm sure the Hendrick organization will stand behind him.  All the larger organizations stand behind their crew chiefs when this type of thing happens.  I'm also pretty sure I read Knaus just signed a lengthy extenion on his contract.  He was doing the job he is paid to do; trying to get a competitive advantage for his team.  It just didn't work out the way he planned.   Wink

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2006, 09:59:00 PM »

I think I mentioned this last season.  Sometimes, some of us (I have the really bad habit of doing this), automatically wonder how they are either breaking or bending the rules this race.  I even said that to Don Sunday when 48 went out to qualify.  Along with several other drivers as they came out.  I am suspicious by nature I guess.

But the bottom line is, they all do it just as Cheryl said.  Some get caught and some don't.  My biggest problem with the whole thing is they ought to give out consistant penalties when they are caught.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2006, 06:45:32 PM »

OK, so maybe Chad Knaus is simply trying to gain the competitive edge, and I may well have overreacted.  But I have also read that Knaus has been fined seven times and suspended twice.

Could the real pressure be coming from the sponsor Lowe's?  Does it want to keep investing its money in a team whose crew chief is always in the news for the wrong reasons?

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2006, 08:06:19 PM »

Here's some explanation from Hall of Fame Racing (#96) about their carburetor issue.  I think it IS interesting that J. D. Gibbs claims he will pay their fine.  But I still don't quite buy that Phillip Lopez knew nothing about it.  He's got his own past issues with questionable equipment, I believe.  I know if I was a crew chief, I'd make SURE I know what's in the engine I put in my car.  

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/motorsports/stories/021406dnspoblountcol.cf43669.html

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2006, 09:44:10 PM »

Having a 3 hour time difference makes me stop and think about posting some stuff.  For example, before I came to work today I watched Nascar Live at 8:30 this morning.  That means 11:30 back east.  So this could be a spoiler or not.  Sometimes stuff is on Jayski so it does not make any difference.  It was reported that from an interview with Jimmy Johnson that the team will be fine.  They don't think it will hurt the team and he will keep encouraging the team to work in the gray area to get every competitive edge they can.  So the arguement that the driver does not know all that goes on could be both true and untrue.  He encourages them but they don't say what they are doing.  A fine edge as to whether he is involved or not.  Keep in mind, I heard this on tv.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2006, 09:51:02 PM »

Quote from: "Vivian"
Having a 3 hour time difference makes me stop and think about posting some stuff.  For example, before I came to work today I watched Nascar Live at 8:30 this morning.  That means 11:30 back east.  So this could be a spoiler or not.  Sometimes stuff is on Jayski so it does not make any difference.  It was reported that from an interview with Jimmy Johnson that the team will be fine.  They don't think it will hurt the team and he will keep encouraging the team to work in the gray area to get every competitive edge they can.  So the arguement that the driver does not know all that goes on could be both true and untrue.  He encourages them but they don't say what they are doing.  A fine edge as to whether he is involved or not.  Keep in mind, I heard this on tv.

Oh, I'm sure EVERY driver out there wants whatever advantage their crew chief can give them.   But I"m also pretty sure they try to keep the driver in the dark so he can (as they used to say on Mission Impossible) "disavow all knowledge."   :lol:

Cheryl
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2006, 04:20:08 PM »

by Steve Waid from Winston Cup Scene:

http://blog.scenedaily.com/index.php/2006/02/15/cheating-is-nothing-new/

Kind of puts this all in perspective if you ask me.   I don't believe anyone out there is 100% legal either.  :lol:

Cheryl
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: