November 21, 2017, 12:02:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SPOILERS - Driver X Finale Last Night  (Read 1394 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: February 07, 2006, 02:33:55 PM »

Well, the series kind of ended with a fizzle if you ask me.  Perhaps it was because I heard an interview with Jack Roush on XM a couple of weeks ago and he laughingly said "Erik Darnell winning has been the worst kept secret in NASCAR..."  Well, it figures I was probably the only person in the world who didn't know he won the Gong Show at that time.  Even though I'd seen his name announced on the internet last fall, I'd actually forgotten who won the competition.  I knew it wasn't Danny O'Quinn because we'd heard about that at USAR races, but I really didn't know anything much about Darnell, David Ragan, or Matt McCall and many of the others.  I'd seen that Matt McCall had been picked up for a development deal with Robert Yates, so I knew it wasn't him.  But by the way Lou reacted to David Ragan's cockiness on the show a while back, I thought he might be the winner.  Never in a million years would I have believed it was low-key Darnell.  Especially since he appeared to be a real disappointment to the PR people during Media Day on the show.  (I can't help but remember, and mock, his "signature move" when the PR people asked for something).  

But I was happy to see that being "pretty" or media savvy really didn't play a part in who won the competition.  Darnell won on pure driving talent and that's refreshing in this day and age.

But IMHO Danny O'Quinn is the real winner since we'd already heard he had landed a ride with Roush in a Busch car.  Why bother with the trucks if you can move right up to Busch?  In the radio interview, Jack also said that Mark Martin was a big fan of Danny's and "worried" him until he gave him the Busch ride.  From what we saw on the show last night, it seemed Mark's protege, Kenseth, liked Danny a lot too.

The funniest thing is that last year's winner, Todd Kluever, said he'd enjoy having Darnell as his teammate and the reality is he's ending up with O'Quinn as his teammate in Busch this season.   :lol:

So, in the end, all the finalists on the show got good deals after showing their stuff in the competition.  I also read the other day that Canadian, Peter Shepherd, will be running in ARCA (I believe) for Roush.  So not a bad deal for any of those guys.  

I really enjoyed the show, but wish that the spoilers from every source had been less obvious.  It figures with my luck, I just turned on XM that day for about 5 minutes and caught Roush's comments about Darnell winning.   :shock:  After trying to avoid hearing about it since the show came on.

I wish all the guys good luck in their new rides for 2006 (even David Ragan).   :lol:   I'll be curious to see how Danny O'Quinn does in Busch against Mark McFarland.  Of course, we'll probably barely hear about them with 20+ buschwhackers running in many of the races this year.   :evil:

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 03:32:41 PM »

Thanks for the update, Cheryl. I missed last night's show. I think that the events during the last couple of "Silly Seasons" have demonstrated how intense the competition for top drivers really is, so if Roush is covering as many bases as he can, so much the better for him.
 Frankly, Ragan impressed me as a driver. Smiley

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
jw
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 08:13:55 PM »

I heard about Darnell driving for Jack during Speed Channel's coverage of Pre-season testing at Daytona.

I was happy to see the other finalists getting opportunities.  Even Peter Shepherd, who did not make the final 4, is getting an opportunity with Jack in the ARCA Re-Max Series.

Overall, this was one of the better reality series on tv in a long time.  I hope "Driver X" returns to tv next season & stays on the Discovery Channel.
Vivian
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 09:16:29 PM »

Cheryl wrote:

But IMHO Danny O'Quinn is the real winner since we'd already heard he had landed a ride with Roush in a Busch car. Why bother with the trucks if you can move right up to Busch?

I totally agree with that.  The show was kind of a let down as I had already heard all the news also.  And I had heard about Peter Shepherd new ride.  I personally liked David Ragan best because of his intensity and attitude.  Okay, okay, so what else would you expect from a Tony fan??? :roll:

Now, I also feel that some owner out there should pick up that driver from New Zealand.  Last name is Pickens I think.  He really showed me something because he had never been on big tracks before and nothing like he was experiencing here but he seemed to adapt on what to do and how to drive the tracks.  I think he would make someone a really great developemental driver.  JMO...
sally
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 10:17:48 PM »

I agree about Pickens.  It seemed that Jack was so impressed with him.  Wonder why he hasn't picked him up for some sort of development program to give him the pavement experience he lacks?

Sally
Vivian
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 02:55:00 AM »

I would love to see Pickens go with someone other than Roush.  He would fit in good at several other places, imo.   Maybe in a chevy...
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 01:28:19 PM »

Quote from: "sally"
I agree about Pickens.  It seemed that Jack was so impressed with him.  Wonder why he hasn't picked him up for some sort of development program to give him the pavement experience he lacks?

Perhaps because the guy was told to go back and get some pavement experience after last year's competition and he didn't do it.  

I have no idea if there are paved tracks in New Zealand.  But since Jack probably paid for him to come over for the competition, maybe he could've applied for a work visa while he was here.  Then got a job in a race shop (or something) and worked on getting a late model ride to get some paved experience at an inexpensive level.  If you want to drive on pavement, you should make some effort to get some experience on your own.  Don't expect everything to be given to you without making some effort yourself.  JMHO...

Cheryl
azbobbybooshay10
Veteran

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2006, 11:45:21 AM »

Quote from: "Cheryl"
The funniest thing is that last year's winner, Todd Kluever, said he'd enjoy having Darnell as his teammate and the reality is he's ending up with O'Quinn as his teammate in Busch this season.   :lol:

Kluever and O'Quinn have lots of help in Busch this year. Isn't Jack running 13 different cars off and on in Busch? Martin has a car, Biffle has a car, Kenseth has a car, Edwards is running full time, Kluever is running full time, as is O'Quinn. The only one NOT running a Busch car is McMurray, but you know he'll probably get thrown in at some point as well.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2006, 04:29:57 PM »

Quote from: "azbobbybooshay10"

Kluever and O'Quinn have lots of help in Busch this year. Isn't Jack running 13 different cars off and on in Busch? Martin has a car, Biffle has a car, Kenseth has a car, Edwards is running full time, Kluever is running full time, as is O'Quinn. The only one NOT running a Busch car is McMurray, but you know he'll probably get thrown in at some point as well.

I wouldn't exactly call having 3-5 Buschwackers in there any "help" for guys running for the Busch title.  They'll be bringing Cup resources and experience in and these guys will be hard-pressed to finish in the top 5, let alone get some wins this year.  As it is, every website and newspaper writer has already given the Busch championship to Carl Edwards.  As much as I like him, I'd hate to see that happen.  This type of thing will be the total ruination of the Busch Series IMHO...

If NA$CAR would make a stand and ban the whackers, people like Kluever, O'Quinn, McFarland and some other rookies might actually have a chance to win the championship in what is suppose to be "their" series.  For Roush, Childress, and some other mega-Cup teams to be as brazen as to admit they are trying to win the championship with Cup drivers just makes me sick.
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2006, 05:11:23 PM »

Even tho I am a Roush fan, Cheryl, I sure agree with you on the Buschwhacker point. You know who I would really like to see win the championship this year? Jason Keller. He has certainly paid his dues, and driven well besides.

Oh yeah, I used to root for Phil parsons when he was driving, just because I thought he is a really nice guy.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2006, 05:29:42 PM »

Quote from: "old hot rodder"
Even tho I am a Roush fan, Cheryl, I sure agree with you on the Buschwhacker point. You know who I would really like to see win the championship this year? Jason Keller. He has certainly paid his dues, and driven well besides.

Oh yeah, I used to root for Phil parsons when he was driving, just because I thought he is a really nice guy.

Jason is a great choice, Dick!  And I couldn't agree more.  It's just that even though he's with a new team [again] this year, I seriously doubt any standalone teams (even the mutli-car ones) are gonna stand a chance again.

I liked Phil too!  We saw him win a hard-fought Busch win at Charlotte one year (after he'd been out of the sport for a while because of eye problems).  That was a great underdog victory (especially against all the whackers that always run at Charlotte).

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2006, 05:36:15 PM »

The funniest thing is that The only one NOT running a Busch car is McMurray, but you know he'll probably get thrown in at some point as well.

McMurray will drive the #64 for Rusty Wallace in 22 races this year.  The other driver will be Rusty's son, Stephen.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: