November 20, 2017, 10:34:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question for desmond about wrestling?  (Read 1603 times)
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« on: December 28, 2005, 06:01:21 AM »

Hi desmond didn't you say both clash of the champions 1 and 6 were held on the same days as wrestlemania 4 and 5?

Which shows did you think were better?

And what did you think of ricky the dragon steamboat as the nwa world champion did you like him?

I recently saw the match from clash 6 where steamboat beat flair i thought that was the match where he beat flair for the title but i was wrong.

Steamboat actually succesfully defended his belt against flair.

I just wanted to know what you thought about the shows i mentioned and steamboat.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 01:06:55 AM »

Bryan, I saw both WrestleMania shows, but neither of the Clash shows, so I can't make a fair comparison.

However, Pro Wrestling Illustrated writer Dave Rosenbaum liked both Clash shows better than both WrestleManias.  He cited the superior quality of wrestling on the Clash shows, as well as the huge amount of celebrity influence in the WrestleManias.

I tend to believe his expert opinion.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 12:42:45 AM »

What did you think of steamboat as the National Wrestling Alliance world heavyweight champion did you think he was a good champion?

Do you know why they put the belt back on flair?

Also what did you think when ricky held the intercontinental title in the wwf back in 1987 did you think he was a good champion?

I think it's ashame vince forced the title off of steamboat the way he did.

Steamboat wanted to spend time with his wife and new baby steamboat's wife had just had a baby.

It's ashame vince didn't give steamboat the timeoff and let steamboat keep the title.

Or i'd have rather seen if steamboat had to lose the title i'd rather have seenn steamboat lose it to randy savage or tito santana or jake roberts or greg valentine or someone like that.

At first the plan was to put the belt on butch reed but he couldn't show up his flight was late or he missed it or something happened i don't know.

So vince and went and decided to pick the honkey tonk man and put the belt on him.

I've heard butch reed in the nwa was better than the butch reed we saw in wwf.

And personally i didn't feel honkey tonk was really worthy of being the intercontinental champion.

I think he beat steamboat with a small package correct desmond plus i'm sure manager jimmy hart interfered when didn't he?

I mean you had all those great men who had held the belt prior to honkey and then they go and put the belt on him. :roll:
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 05:32:12 PM »

I don't know how Flair got the belt back.

As for Honky Tonk Man as Intercontinental champion, all I can ask is, "what were they thinking?"  Vince McMahon is usually a brilliant promoter, but he blew this one.  You're right about that, Bryan.

Someone, somewhere thought an Elvis impersonator would make a great representative of what was then the WWF.  

It should be pointed out that this was symbolic of the days when most of the main characters could pass for those appearing in cartoons.  (In fact, there was a cartoon series starring the voice of Hulk Hogan.)  Today, the characters are more realistic and less predictable.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 09:19:21 PM »

Honkey tonk man actually held the belt for 1 year and 2 months he was actually supposed to lose the belt to macho man randy savage i think on the same night hogan lost the wwf title to andre the giant.

But honkey tonk man didn't want to drop the belt and when savage heard this savage was hot he was very upset.

Savage even threatened to go out and start shooting meaning he was going to go out to the arena and tell the truth about honkey tonk man.

But a deal was made with hogan savage dibiase andre the giant and honkey tonk man.

The deal was honkey tonk man would keep the belt if savage got the wwf title.

It's a good thing the deal was struck or else that night would have been a real mess for wwf.

Actually honkey tonk threatened to go to the nwa and take the intercontinental title with him.

I  just never cared for him as ic champion.

I thought he was 1 of the worst ic champions ever.

I mean look at all the great names and wrestlers that held the belt before honkey and then they put the belt on honkey they might as well have put the belt in the trashcan.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 08:14:14 PM »

Thank you for your behind-the-scenes insights, Bryan.  You are invaluable in this discussion!

Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2006, 04:19:45 AM »

Desmond what did you think of warrior as intercontinental and wwf champion? Did you like or hate him as champion?
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2006, 04:50:55 AM »

Hi desmond did you hear about this news recently i found out that triple hhh and stephanie are expecting a child it was announced on wwe.com that stephanie was pregnant.

Hopefully the baby will have stephanie's looks and hopefully it won't have a big nose like hunter.  :lol:

Wasn't vince mcmahon already a grandfather cause i think shane was married and had a wife and a child or kids himself.

Speaking of shane and stephanie isn't shane the oldest of vince's 2 kids?
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2006, 06:19:41 PM »

This post has legs!

To answer the questions:
--I think the Ultimate Warrior wasn't that good of a champion either.  He had, basically, only two moves.  His only appeal was his apparently superhuman strength, which, we all suspect now, came from lots of steroid use.  Once the WWF threatened to test its "superstars," Warrior ran away to the WCW, where there was seemingly no testing.  Still, Warrior was very popular, and, in the fans' eyes at least, was an improvement over the Honky Tonk Man.
--Shane McMahon is married to Marissa Mazzola, but I don't know if they have had a child.

P.S. Bryan, I say the post has legs because it's gone on a lot longer than I thought it would.  It doesn't mean I am tired of it.  In fact, if you have more, bring it on! (Pat Robertson via Jeff Hammond, I think)

Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2006, 08:29:24 PM »

Who is marrissa mazola?
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2006, 12:52:29 AM »

She worked briefly on WWF television programs in the mid-1990s.  Among the shows was Mania, a Saturday-morning recap show on USA Network.  The cohost was Todd Pettengill, who was then a morning disc jockey at WPLJ in New York (and may still be there today).

Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2006, 03:08:50 AM »

Hi desmond do you remember when ron simmons beat big van vader to become wcw world heavyweight champion what did you think of that moment?

Did you think it was a big moment in wrestling history or no.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: