November 21, 2017, 01:22:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Feedback on Roush Racing: Driver X  (Read 6549 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2005, 03:48:05 PM »

Quote from: "old hot rodder"
I wish they would not cut from one scene to another so quickly, kinda gave me a headache.

Yes, that's been my biggest criticism of the show.  Their "flash" editing techniques.  

On the plus side, I thought they did a good job of discussing the different "lines"  around the track in relationship to the speeds which the drivers were able to obtain, and points like that.

I enjoy that too.  I also like that Jack is letting one of the spotters be a full participant in the decision-making process.  I think he has more credibility than Kluever who was in the show last year.  

And no matter how you slice it, this show sure beats watching a bunch of silly talking heads blabbering on about this little thing or that, ad nauseum,.... :twisted:

Agree 100%.  Also, like that this is really more of a documentary about the process than an staged "reality" show like so many shows on TV these days.

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2005, 01:28:26 AM »

Well, Cheryl, maybe last night wasn't staged, but the show featured a twist that all the other reality shows could be proud of.

For weeks, announcer Mason Pettit told us that the drivers who recorded the top 12 scores, as determined by Jack Roush and other judges, would advance to the second round of the competition to determine Roush Racing's next signee for the truck series.  However, in a final deliberation, Roush decided to throw out his own group's scores and use it only as a guide to determine who moved on and who went home.

To me, that stinks!  Throw out your own subjective scoreboard and replace it with more subjectivity.  There had to be some pressure put on Roush by the producers to add deliberate drama to the show, which needs none.

At least Roush did seem to stick to the scores for the most part.  He could have gone completely Hollywood and selected someone like Michael Pickens or Sondi Eden, but both were sent home.

Also, the show should have told us that Erik Darnell already had a driver development contract with Roush Racing of some kind.  This begs the question of why he is even competing.

P.S. I was going to remove the posts that were summaries rather than reviews, but I kept them because one of them segued to remembering Tim Andrews' dad, and I thought that would have made the post incoherent.  Sorry.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2005, 01:19:14 PM »

Quote from: "Desmond"
Well, Cheryl, maybe last night wasn't staged, but the show featured a twist that all the other reality shows could be proud of.

For weeks, announcer Mason Pettit told us that the drivers who recorded the top 12 scores, as determined by Jack Roush and other judges, would advance to the second round of the competition to determine Roush Racing's next signee for the truck series.  However, in a final deliberation, Roush decided to throw out his own group's scores and use it only as a guide to determine who moved on and who went home.

To me, that stinks!  Throw out your own subjective scoreboard and replace it with more subjectivity.  

To me, it just says that in the end, it's Jack's company and "show" and he has the final say.  In other words, it's HIS money on the line when he puts one of these guys in a truck, so he has the right to overrule the scores based on his own "gut" feeling.  

I'm sure in the past, he's used the same "veto" power when selecting a driver.  We just didn't see it on TV.   Wink

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2005, 05:44:41 PM »

In case you're wondering:

Roush Racing Driver X will return to the Discovery Channel on Dec. 26 at 7 p.m. ET/PT.  (Source: David Smith Motorsports website)

As Cheryl thought, the program was not shown this week and was officially put on hiatus.

By the way, Smith, a NASCAR talent scout who has talked to several teams, has a summary of each episode similar to the ones I have put up under Race Talk.  Also, the site won't be updated again until the end of January due to the NASCAR off-season, and also because Smith is taking final exams at the University of Central Florida where he is a student.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2005, 09:09:18 PM »

Thanks for the info on the return of the show, Des
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2006, 09:32:23 AM »

Tonight's show was well-produced, probably the best of the shows so far.  The producers took advantage of the great access that was afforded them, both on and off the track.

The historic footage from Darlington reminded us of why this racetrack is such a treasure and should never leave the NASCAR schedule, no matter how hard they try. :evil:

Just one question, though: will the show end before the next Craftsman Truck Series season starts? :roll:

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2006, 01:54:59 PM »

We recorded the show on Tivo on Monday and watched it last night (we watched one of the 1000 bowl games Monday night).  

I was quite surprised Travis Kittleson was eliminated during this round.  I really think he's a good driver and seems like a nice kid (even though they think 26 is too old).  I've followed him in ASA and ARCA for the last couple of years.  And I'm partial to anyone named Travis.   Wink Maybe he'll end up running Hooters one of these days and we can meet him.  I think his personality would fit in there quite well.

Auggie did an awesome job though and I'm happy he moves to the next round.  He also seems like a good guy and I remember either he or his Dad from the truck series when it first started.  

Choquette isn't ready for asphault at all IMHO.  He may be young, but he was obviously very intimidated by the size and speed of Darlington.  He needs to get more experience on pavement before he comes back.  

Based on the way they are going, with 4 drivers each week, the show should be done in the next month (plenty of time before the Daytona truck race on 17 Feb.)

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2006, 09:12:26 PM »

Got to watch last night.  The show was interesting.  They did seem to jump around a bit though.  I do like the show but I also think as I am watching it (and I know it has already been decided by now) that Jack had already made up his mind even before the end of the sessions.  JMO...in other words, it is all just for 'show'.  Again, JMO...
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2006, 01:37:13 PM »

Quote from: "Vivian"
Got to watch last night.  The show was interesting.  They did seem to jump around a bit though.  I do like the show but I also think as I am watching it (and I know it has already been decided by now) that Jack had already made up his mind even before the end of the sessions.  JMO...in other words, it is all just for 'show'.  Again, JMO...

I think Monday night's show did, indeed, show Jack's "executive privilege" in keeping Peter Shepherd since Peter's score at Darlington was much lower than some of the guys who were eliminated there last week.  But I think Jack was far from having made any final choice at that time.  To me, it just showed (as the group said), he felt Peter had a lot of potential.  And remember, this and Martinsville were the two largest tracks he'd ever been on.  I'm all for guys with potential, trust me!  And I'd love to see one of them "crazy cannucks" land a ride with a top NASCAR team.

What impressed me this week was the "hand-eye coordination" tests they gave the guys.  Now THAT was something I'd never heard about the competition before.  

Also, don't know if anyone else caught Danny O'Quinn's comment to the doctor when doing the stress test.  The doctor asked what Danny usually ate before a race and he replied "a Spam sandwich."  Way to go, Danny!  Keeping it real for the traditional race fans!   Cheesy   In case anyone thinks Danny is a so-called "bubba," check out his bio on the Discovery page for the show.  He maintained a 3.5 in high school while racing full-time.  I've talked to Danny at length at Hooters races and he may have a southern accent, but trust me, he's far from a "bubba."  

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2006, 06:41:06 PM »

Quote from: "Cheryl"
The doctor asked what Danny usually ate before a race and he replied "a Spam sandwich."  Way to go, Danny!  Keeping it real for the traditional race fans!   Cheesy

I have also become a fan of Danny's this season.  I wish him well wherever he goes in his racing career.

The show is getting better and better each week.  I want to see this level of depth shown of contestants on other shows like Survivor or The Apprentice, where we learn nothing about them except that they are cutthroat competitors.  In other words, there is no "other side."

See Race Talk for my recap of Monday's show.

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2006, 07:16:40 PM »

Quote from: "Desmond"
Quote from: "Cheryl"
I want to see this level of depth shown of contestants on other shows like Survivor or The Apprentice, where we learn nothing about them except that they are cutthroat competitors.  In other words, there is no "other side."

Desmond, please remember this is not a "reality" show; it's a documentary of a REAL process.  Not some contrived situations where the "contestants" act out for TV.  Trust me, if it was like those shows, I wouldn't be watching.  

Cheryl
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: