November 21, 2017, 07:19:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did Tony cut  (Read 1841 times)
Vivian
« on: May 17, 2004, 10:51:57 PM »

DW or what?  On one hand, I am glad he said what he did because the booth guys do tend to zero in on him more than others; but on the other hand, I know this will turn more people against him and call him a whiner even more.  Anyone else hits someone and they just say, two going for the same spot or that is what happens in short track racing so I tend to agree with Tony.  And I did like the look DW got on his face when Tony said what he did about provisionals and the last 2 years DW raced although that may have been a little over the line.
Tell me what ya'll think.  Thanks

Oooops, maybe this should have been under tv talk?
sally
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2004, 11:17:32 PM »

Viv,
sally
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2004, 11:20:07 PM »

Klutzy today!  I heard on a radio show on Sun. AM that DW has been lobbying Nascar behind the scenes to get Tony fined, sat down, or something as punishment.  So, while the comment about provisionals was a bit nasty, I can understand why he said it.  Tony's too easy a target, and I can't get too mad because he at least speaks his mind!  And yes, the look on DW's face (and Matt Yokum's) was priceless!
Sal
rcairo1460
Sophmore

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2004, 02:49:38 PM »

DW has been lobbying Nascar behind the scenes to get Tony fined, sat down, or something as punishment

DW want to work for Fox or Nascar - I am DW fan but it's time to chill on this matter, no???.....Give up the mic & go work for Nascar DW!!
Vivian
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2004, 05:06:13 PM »

To me it seems obvious that they always seem to single Tony out.  They did not make too big a deal over Kahne taking Green out after Green had hit him the lap before.  And personally I don't see the big deal when Tony got loose and ran Jeff up the track but they wanted (as did Jeff) to throw that into the criticisms too.  I agree with Tony when he says they miss all the other stuff on the track.

Did anyone see Wind Tunnel last night?  It was about 50-50 for and against Tony and what he said.  I think Dave enjoyed fueling the flame.

Meanwhile, I also agree with the person who mentioned DW's hair dye job and make up and the fact that he thinks his way is the only way.   :twisted:

Why do you think DW followed up the one article on parking Stewart with the one that said he shouldn't be parked?  Did he already know then that there would be bad publicity for him because of the first one or was he just trying to cover his butt when he found out the news of his lobbying Nascar to do something about Tony got out?  Makes one wonder...
ronbarnes7777
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2004, 10:14:15 PM »

it was pretty obvious to me at least that he cut jeff off on purpose.now i gotta admit that i'm a jeff gordon fan .that said if you look at recent races tony has been driving on the edge and he needs to stop.when rusty gets upset at you you need to check yourself
Vivian
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2004, 10:07:41 PM »

Hi Ron, WELCOME TO THE FORUM!  Good to have other views posted.
Lou
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2004, 11:49:17 PM »

I did not watch the Richmond race, just the highlight shows on Monday, so my view of the Stewart/Gordon deal may be skewed by the lack of seeing the whole thing build, but I'll give it anyway.

Stewart was 2/3 of the way past Gordon diving into the corner. Gordon knew that Stewart's momentum in making the pass might cause Stewart to drift up higher in the corner as Stewart could not quite hold his line. Then it came true. No harm, no foul. Looked like a typical short-track racing style pass going into a corner.

Lou

sally
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2004, 01:44:48 AM »

Lou, I watched the whole thing...at least what TV showed, and I agree.  Lots of guys did the same thing all night long, and DW and the others in the booth barely mentioned it except as a "racin deal".
Sally
Lou
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2004, 12:10:16 PM »

I already admitted that I didn't watch the race (and darned if I don't even feel the slightest bit bad about that!), but is all this hoopla about the incident because Jeff Gordon complained about it or because TV hyped it?

I'm guessing that Jeff probably didn't complain too much about it other than a few choice words on the scanner in the heat of battle. Let me see, that would leave TV hyping it as the sole cause of Tony's latest mass murder. Hmm, what a surprise that would be....

There are only 2 people who really know. If the "victim" ain't complaining, then it's not a problem.

Lou

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2004, 12:45:28 PM »

Lord knows, I'd never defend Tony Stewart!   :wink: However, from the replay I saw on IWCR, it was barely a nudge.  After reading all the hype on the web about it, I surely expected more.  But then later in the week, I read some quotes about how Stewart went right to Gordon's pit and apologized after the race.  The article said Gordon was good natured about it and said something like "well then I'll apologize now for what I said before you hear about it."  I thought that was pretty funny myself.  I think I'd read somewhere that he said Stewart was "brain dead" or something.  As Lou said, I think what they say in the heat of battle is always more emotionally charged than they are after they have time to calm down a bit and think about it.  

I just think DW needs to keep his mouth shut on this issue.  Of course, I think DW would do a better job if his mouth was duct taped shut most of the time too.  They don't call it 200 mph tape for nothing!   :lol:

Cheryl
ronbarnes7777
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2004, 06:48:32 PM »

cheryl you're right i had a chance to view that part of the race and i'm sorry to say that tony barely nudged jeff.i don't believe that tony is a dirtly driver i just think he's too hotheaded.
17RoushFan
Veteran

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2004, 10:30:16 AM »

I am not really that big of a fan of Stewart, but I am going to play devil's advocate here for a second. What about the possibility that Tony Stewart might be in a stretch where he cannot seem to be at the right place at the right time. Sure, there are quite a few wrecks that were clearly on him, but he is still at a time where he is maturing as a driver. Even though Kenseth is a pretty clean driver, he got in several wrecks at the beginning of his career, took some lessons from Bobby Labonte and has been a steady racer since. All I am saying is just look at it from every angle.

tuned in to watch some commercials, but when they went to break, i saw a nascar race!
Vivian
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2004, 08:56:55 PM »

I do think Tony gets frustrated about not being at the front and sometimes maybe his desire to be first or at the front of the pack over rules his logical side of the brain.  I do see different sides of him in interviews and it seems like sometimes he just can't bring closure to things.

You made good points, 17Roush Fan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: