November 20, 2017, 02:38:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Season Comparison of Fox and NBC  (Read 2027 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: January 23, 2006, 04:07:32 PM »

I finally finished an article I've been working on for the last month or so.  My season-ending comparison of the TV broadcasts between Fox and NBC.  Please check it out on the main Speedcouch page and let me know if you agree/disagree with my opinions.

Thanks!
cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 09:58:36 PM »

Cheryl, I just read your article.  You made some excellent points and I must say I agree with most of them.  My favorite one was when you said DW thinks of himself as a "cult figure" of some sort.  Amen to that.  And I think that is the main thing wrong with FOX.  For some reason, DW, JH and others have let their jobs go to their heads.  They think they are stars and thus entitled to being 'dumb' and 'stupid' because that is the way most stars behave.  Rake in the money and insult the fans.  I really think that is their motto.  I am not including BP, AB or WD in that analogy.  Nor most of the pit reporters.  Don't you think it is sad when your favorite part of the broadcast becomes the pit reporting rather than the race as announced by others?

The graphics and commercials are atrocious.  But I am not going to dwell on that as we are stuck with that unfortunately.  Don't like it but we do have to live with it.

Great article and maybe I will forward it to NBC and FOX....
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 11:51:46 PM »

Very well done, Cheryl. I would like to put some emphasis on just a few of the points you made:
   First, if it was tough for TV fans to wait an additional 90 minutes for the start, think about the fans who were at the race, who may have left their comfy beds hours and hours earlier in order to get to the track and get situated. You always hear so much about leaving early to get to the race, etc. So much for that advice, (and yes, I've been there and done that);
  The story about the cat and the pointers is great. I think the pointers graphic is particularly useless;
   Thru the field is a great idea, and should be used more and more often.
  I sure wish that the networks would listen for a change,.... Sad

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
sally
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 03:45:11 AM »

Cheryl, an excellent article.  I agree that this year, for the first time, it was virtually impossible to pick one network's 'caverage' of racing as superior to the other.  Instead of elevating Fox to meet NBC's standards, it seems that NBC was dragged down to Fox's level.  Annoying, usless graphics, overload of commercials, and even more obnoxious 'music videos' all take away from the racing.  I guess it just makes us all hope that ABC/ESPN won't be sucked in to the "Hollywood" version of racing that Brian France seems to crave.

Sal
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 01:41:05 PM »

Quote from: "old hot rodder"
  First, if it was tough for TV fans to wait an additional 90 minutes for the start, think about the fans who were at the race, who may have left their comfy beds hours and hours earlier in order to get to the track and get situated. You always hear so much about leaving early to get to the race, etc. So much for that advice, (and yes, I've been there and done that);(

Thanks for your kind words, Sally and Dick!  And yes, Dick, I DO feel for the fans at the track.  As you say, I've been there and done that as well.  And that's part of the reason why we gave up all our Cup tickets after last season.  You ask Lou to explain how antsy and pissed off I've been the last 3-4 years waiting for the damn races to start!  Humpy started it, but every track now feels they must "whip the crowd into a frenzy" while waiting for TV to get around to telling them they can start the race.  I would just set there steaming, muttering "come on!  Start the race!"  The worst was Dover where people (mostly kids) are so bored, they start tossing a beach ball around.  I absolutely HATED that!   :evil:   I was there to watch a race and didn't feel like getting hit on the head by a bouncing ball.  Grrrr....sorry for the rant, but believe me, I can certainly emphathize with the fans who have to wait for the races to start these days.  The bad thing is the tickets either have the wrong starting time on them now as well, or no time at all, so when you are at the races, you don't have a clue as to when the race actually starts these days.

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 03:25:40 PM »

Cheryl, when I think of all the hassle we went thru to see a Daytona 500, and the Races at Las Vegas, I think of what my Dad used to say to me back in the 80's when he would observe Roberta and me work for hours getting the boat and motor home ready to go to Lake Cumberland,  then drive nearly 300 miles, and al that so we could take the tribe boating, etc.

"That's a lotta work for a little fun"... :-D

William James
jw
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 09:33:51 PM »

Cheryl,  the column was right on target.

My thoughts:
  --------------
  FOX:  2 parts of their season with the Subway Fresh 500 in Phoenix as the dividing line.  Part 1: FOX did appear to focus better on the race.  Part 2: (after Phoenix) FOX did not focus on the racing as much Reasons include: shaky camera selection, too many commericals & "hollywood" approach to coverage
  NBC/TNT:  They went backwards, especially after the July race at Pocono,
& is now at the same level with FOX.  Putting Bill Weber in the booth was a big mistake. (I've got no grudges against Bill Weber, but he is better in the pits.)  Allen Bestwick is at his best in the booth.

Good & Bad from 2005
 --------------------------
Good:  Skycam at Daytona, NBC/TNT pit reporting
Bad: Jeff Hammond wearing a bowtie at Talladega, missed restarts, 65% percentage or LESS race coverage during "The Chase", Hour-Long pre-race shows(too many) 60 minute pre-race shows are only needed 3 times: Daytona 500, the first race for a new network & the season finale

One Prediction about NBC/TNT:
------------------------------------
the possilbilty of "lameduck" coverage is quite high with NBC, but their
announcers CANNOT treat the season like that because they will need to look good for work in 2007 with either TNT(if TNT does not use FOX) or ABC/ESPN.
sally
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 11:08:25 PM »

jw, to me, the biggest problem with the NBC coverage, (and the Fox coverage leading up to the crapshoot) was to total focus on the top 10 or 15 drivers.  The ratings for many of the races in the crapshoot went down significantly.  That would indicate to me that, either there aren't as many people interested in the 'football' format of the not-a-playoff, or that many viewers are just as interested in seeing more of the cars on the track.  When the ratings for the last race of the season, the one that determines the champeen, something isn't right.  Nascar kist ratings in many of the 'big' markets it's trying to get into.  Something needs to change, since the present way of doing things doesn't seem to be getting the job done, does it?

Sal
Vivian
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006, 02:28:05 AM »

We worry and state our feelings but no one listens and the tv coverage does not change.  Even if they read this site and others like it and see in black and white that not all fans are happy, I think they take the attitude that a couple of well known drivers have taken before.  Something like: Be it cheers or boos, at least they are talking about us.

I just wish they would put Alan back in the booth.  And why won't Fox make some changes and put DW on pit road?Huh??  Ye gads!  Is that wishful thinking or not?  I've lost it if I am wishing that desperately...
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2006, 03:34:40 PM »

At least we all seem to agree that Allen should be back in the booth. As for DW, well you know The rules,... :-D

William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2006, 05:19:04 PM »

Quote from: "jw"
the possilbilty of "lameduck" coverage is quite high with NBC, but their announcers CANNOT treat the season like that because they will need to look good for work in 2007 with either TNT(if TNT does not use FOX) or ABC/ESPN.

Oh, I believe the announcers/pit reporters will still attempt to do as good a job as they can.  I believe they all have a high level of integrity and will do their best.  It's just my fear that the network executives will feel "why bother" with quality coverage since they won't be there after this year.  And that this type of attitude will affect what we at home see, regardless of what the on-air talent wants or tries to do.

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2006, 06:53:51 PM »

Thanks once again, Cheryl!

For many years, NASCAR officials spoke about how they needed television coverage to make it a legitimate sport.  Now we need to ask whether the coverage is legitimate.

While I read the column, I read about the checkerboard format on pit stops on the Fox broadcasts.  There is another related feature, the nine-square in-car camera shot just before the race starts.  

So how about turning this into "NASCAR Squares"?  Pick two "fan of the week" contestants, hook up the drivers' on-air radios, and play a brief game during the warm-up laps! :smt078

Sounds silly, doesn't it?  But with Fox, and its "showbiz" approach to sports, nothing is beneath them any longer. Sad

Meanwhile, this is how the fans in the stands would feel: :smt015

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
sally
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2006, 10:37:39 PM »

It looks as if we can expect Rusty to be in the booth for ABC/ESPN when they take over Nascar in 2007.  He will start with covering the Daytona 500 on Sports Center, then do some IRL races this summer.  That sounds promisisng to me.

sal
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2006, 01:56:32 PM »

Quote from: "sally"
It looks as if we can expect Rusty to be in the booth for ABC/ESPN when they take over Nascar in 2007.  He will start with covering the Daytona 500 on Sports Center, then do some IRL races this summer.  That sounds promisisng to me.

Yes, I caught just a bit of an interview with him on XM driving in this morning.  He made it sound pretty certain he'd be in the booth for the NASCAR broadcasts next season.  He was quick to point out that ESPN was there in the early days of full coverage on TV.  Good for him!  

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2006, 05:42:20 PM »

Just one thing to say to Rusty: No cute catch phrases! :smt018

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: