November 20, 2017, 12:59:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: Go Seahawks ! ..huh Viv?  (Read 5613 times)
Vivian
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2006, 09:14:22 PM »

Okay, Dick, don't rub it in!   ;-)

Seriously, Pittsburgh deserved that win.  I think Denver forgot to go to the game.  Pittsburgh had great strategy plays and did an excellent job but that still does not make me like them.  They did good...Both games seemed to be kind of one sided though so it should be a good Super Bowl.

Do you attend a lot of the Cincinatti games?
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2006, 09:23:14 PM »

Quote from: "Vivian"
I think Denver forgot to go to the game.  Pittsburgh had great strategy plays and did an excellent job but that still does not make me like them.

I couldn't agree with Vivian more on both these points!  Denver's team was sad and their coach had "the deer in the headlight look" most of the game.  But nothing will ever make me like Pittsburgh either.  

I don't really have a dog in this hunt at all.  The second game at least was a bit more competitive, and I didn't favor either team that much (although Carolina's uniforms were more colorful).   :lol:   But I liked Seattle to win since they'd never made it to a Super Bowl in the history of the team.  And since Pittsburgh hasn't been there in 26 years, it will certainly be sort of an underdog game, I guess.  I still think Indy was gipped (even though I don't really like them - they just had the more impressive streak this year).  That must be why I really like racing the most.  Even with the stupid farce of a Chase, ONE race doesn't eliminate someone.

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2006, 11:25:53 PM »

Actually, I WAS a Browns Fan till Modell and the politicians got into playing the blame game. Not the same now, and ya gotta like players like Big Ben and the Bus. All in all, I'm a lot more interested in college football.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2006, 12:43:18 AM »

So what if I was one out of two?

Seriously, the Steelers' national following should lift the Super Bowl ratings on ABC.  If the game had been Broncos-Seahawks, the television rating might have fallen below 40 for the first time since the 1960s.  The Denver and Seattle markets are relatively small and neither team draws much attention outside the home market.

By the way, this could be the last ever NFL game on ABC.  Next year, Monday Night Football will be on ESPN, while the wait continues for the arrival of NASCAR in 2007.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2006, 02:12:59 AM »

Desmond wrote:

The Denver and Seattle markets are relatively small and neither team draws much attention outside the home market.

I don't know why you think that.  I have been lucky enough to go to a Seattle game and believe me, I had a really hard time getting tickets.  And when I was able to, they were additional aisle seating on the back row of a section.  And when I checked on getting Denver tickets a few years ago, they were sold out and the only thing they could suggest was to place an ad in one of their papers.  I know you specifically said 'home market' but I disagree with that.  Even when I lived in CA and when I have visited family in Florida, I knew fans who were very avid Denver and Seattle fans.  When you don't have what is considered a 'home team', fans tend to gravitate to players and Denver and Seattle have had some great players that long distance fans really supported.

Cheryl, hope this little disagreement did not come across as a debate and argumentative. If it did, please just tell me to delete it.  Thank you.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2006, 01:51:36 PM »

Quote from: "Vivian"
Cheryl, hope this little disagreement did not come across as a debate and argumentative. If it did, please just tell me to delete it.  

No, Vivian, I think you explained your point without becoming personal.  That's all I ask for around here!   Cheesy

Personally, I knew nothing about either Seattle or Denver for this weekend, and both stadiums looked packed to me, so that illustrates your point to me.  I especially noted all that orange in the Denver stadium.

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2006, 04:41:22 PM »

Well, gang, Big Ben and the Bus came through when they had to, but overall I thought Seattle played better. I really had to question that one call that took away a Seattle touchdown, but the official was right there, so he had to see it, right??
 Still in all, the 21 points which the Steelers put up were certainly legit, so I guess they deserved to win.
  Let's go RACIN'. Cheesy

William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2006, 05:49:44 PM »

Quote from: "old hot rodder"
Well, gang, Big Ben and the Bus came through when they had to, but overall I thought Seattle played better. I really had to question that one call that took away a Seattle touchdown, but the official was right there, so he had to see it, right??
 Still in all, the 21 points which the Steelers put up were certainly legit, so I guess they deserved to win.

And I question the one where Rothlesburger (sp?) was going for the touchdown.  You could clearly see he didn't get the ball across the line, but the ref refused to overturn the call.  That really smacked of a NASCAR decision!  Make me say to Lou "is ANY sport legitimate these days???"   :roll:

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2006, 07:29:51 PM »

Indeed, the overriding question is: what were they thinking?

In addition to Roethlisberger being credited with the touchdown, why was Darrell Jackson called for pass interference on an apparent TD earlier in the game?  The points gained by the Steelers and lost by the Seahawks on the two plays were enough to change the outcome of the game.

Also, what were the real reasons for Joe Montana and Terry Bradshaw missing the pregame ceremony with the past most valuable players of the Super Bowl?  Each said that they wanted to spend time with their families, but I'm sure everyone who did participate have families they cherish just as much.  Now, there are reports (sorry, don't know the source) that each of them wanted $100,000 as an "appearance fee" and the NFL refused to give it to them.  All we know is that Montana and Bradshaw missed the emotional scene of the night. :smt021

Finally, why did I see the Rolling Stones anyway, despite my threat on an earlier thread?  The (honest) answer: there was nothing better on; the only other choice was something called the Lingerie Bowl, female football players with nothing else on.  Surprisingly, Mick Jagger showed some moves.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2006, 08:47:28 PM »

Strange game, all right. I'm pretty sure that when Big Ben came down on his right elbow, the ball did break the plane of the goall line, but I'll grant you that the call on Jackson in the end zone was peculiar.   :shock:

William James
Vivian
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2006, 10:01:55 PM »

I am not a sore loser, but personally I think the final score should have been Seattle 17 and Pittsburg 14.  JMO....There were several questionable calls, two of which I call the touchdowns that were and weren't.  Ever since I have watched football, it seems some teams always have to play the officials as well as the opposing team.  I think Ben's elbow touched the ground before he reached the ball over.  I think the ball was not over when his elbow touched even though they said it was not evident enough to overturn the ruling.  I think the call for offensive pass interference was bogus and Seattle's Jackson just got the short end when it came to legitimate officiating as the Pittsburg player grabbed him first and that could have been interpreted the same way but they never mentioned that grab.

Now as far as the game itself.  Seattle played better most of the day but at times they shot themselves in the foot like in the clock management area.  Also, at times it looked like there was confusion on both sides at times.  Pittsburg played better in the last quarter and their 'gadget play' was the play of the game.  It was a great touchdown!  As far as playing and who really played better, I thought it was fairly even and would have been a much better game if the officiating had been right on.  

Wonder how much money was floating around which dictated the results, imo.... :roll:   Yes, I firmly believe in conspirancy theories when it comes to the NFL.  As far as I am concerned, the fix was on...
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2006, 02:43:05 PM »

I definitely agree with Vivian about those two bad calls on touchdowns and that Seattle seemed to play better overall to me.  

Here's an interesting article I found off Jayski yesterday when the author compared the bad calls to those in NASCAR.  Guess we're not the only one with comspiracy theories, huh, Viv?   :lol:

http://www.racingmilestones.com/columns/02062006_sl.shtml

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2006, 03:42:23 PM »

OK, Ladies, just to fuel the Money/conspiracy fires a bit, here iss a tidbit that you may not have realized. As we know, Baby Brian idolizes the NFL marketing, etc. This year's Rolex 24 hour race was moved up a week so that it did not conflict with the Super Bowl, as it did last year. Now I think that is a joke, frankly, but to Baby Brian it wasn't. TV ratings? more money wagered? HMMMMMM! :-D

William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2006, 03:52:55 PM »

Quote from: "old hot rodder"
This year's Rolex 24 hour race was moved up a week so that it did not conflict with the Super Bowl, as it did last year. Now I think that is a joke, frankly, but to Baby Brian it wasn't. TV ratings? more money wagered? HMMMMMM! :-D

How about them ruining another tradition?  I consider myself a relatively newer fan as I've only been following racing for about 18 years (I'm serious here - that can't compare to those who have followed it since the 60s).  Anyway, at least since I've been watching, the 24 hours race always kicked off Speed Weeks.  Putting it a week earlier kind of ruined that tradition, didn't it?  Because then we had a big break in the action from then until this weekend.  But then, ISC, Baby Brian, et al, have trashed just about every other tradition, so why not one more in the pursuit of the almighty $$$$ and TV ratings.  

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2006, 06:17:38 PM »

If you noticed, I changed one of the words near the end of my previous thread on the game so that it would not appear that the players at the Lingerie Bowl were completely naked.  Although some of you out there secretly want to see it happen. :roll:

More stuff on the game:
--It had the highest television rating since 2000, a 41.6 number.  The total number of viewers was exceeded only by the final episode of M*A*S*H in 1982.
--Jake Scott (Super Bowl VII) was the only other living Most Valuable Player in the game's history not to attend; he was on vacation, reportedly in Australia.  Harvey Martin, who was one of two MVPs of Super Bowl XII, died in 2000 of pancreatic cancer, at age 53.
--You can now truly call it Hall of Fame Racing: Troy Aikman was elected into the Pro Football Hall of Fame the day before the game. :smt038   He is the #96 team's co-owner with Roger Staubach.

And one more thing: Seahawks head coach Mike Holmgren had been critical of the officials all season.  He was even handed an unusual punishment earlier, when he was not allowed to have the NFL look at tapes of controversial calls.  I don't think the league forgot on Sunday.  Ask James Finch what that's like.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: