November 22, 2017, 09:23:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mad Dog 20/20  (Read 536 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: January 04, 2006, 08:58:30 PM »

Was just tooling around the web looking for something racing-related and found this aritcle by Ben Blake at the SPEED site.  He's one of the guys who used to be on Pit Bull.  I don't necessarily agree with his repetition of the "chosen" top stories and I'd rather not debate that here, but I DO love his ending where he talks about the absurdity of the Chase:

http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/21372/

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 05:32:41 PM »

What is "Mad Dog 20/20" anyway?  Some kind of wine?  That's all I can conclude from the article.

Anyway, Ben, thanks for pointing out the unique nature of racing championships compared to that of other sports.  Ask most drivers, in unguarded moments, whether they would rather win individual races (i.e. Daytona 500, Allstate 400) or a season title, and they would pick the races.  They treat the season titles as something else to shoot for if they are good enough and consistent enough.

However, NASCAR has decided to overemphasize the championship for TV purposes, as Ben wrote.  And the numbers indicate that it is not working.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 10:51:06 PM »

Interesting article.
 Yes, Desmond, M/D 20-20 is(WAS?) some kind of wime. Trust me, Buddy Wayne would never touch the stuff! :-D

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 01:32:06 PM »

Quote from: "old hot rodder"
Interesting article.
 Yes, Desmond, M/D 20-20 is(WAS?) some kind of wine.

As I've always heard, it was the REALLY cheap wine that winos drink for a quick high.  So, to me, Blake's analogy is very appropriate.  NASCAR has become a product for a quick high with no substance.   Sad

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 08:28:05 PM »

Now it all makes sense! Cheesy

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: