November 19, 2017, 09:43:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Schedule change announcement  (Read 726 times)
Desmond
All-Star

« on: May 14, 2004, 03:46:02 PM »

It's official now  :cry:

Weep for the good people of Rockingham and Darlington.

Drivers enjoyed these two tracks.  Fans enjoyed them.  My only regret is that I wasn't around the sport long enough to fully enjoy them.

One is gone.  The other has lost a 55-year-old tradition; you may well shut that down too.

What's next to go?  Will NASCAR shift a date from Dover or Pocono to New York City when it's finally ready?  Or will Martinsville or even Atlanta go to the chopping block to satisfy NASCAR's desires?  What tracks will be sacrificed in the name of Seattle?  How long before it's adios Watkins Glen, if you know what I mean?  Did NASCAR want to announce more changes today, but just don't have the resources (yet) to do it?

Speaking of Mexico City, we may still see racing there next year; most think that NASCAR will actually "test the waters" with Busch and/or trucks before committing to Cup.  From what I've read, the purse will have to be substantial to make up for what could be gigantic expenses for the teams traveling there.  Not the Japan races of the 1990s, but still...

In racing terms, there will be more boring races, more emphasis on fuel mileage, and a decreased chance of exciting finishes.  Do you think the Craven-Busch 2003 and Kenseth-Kahne 2004 endings are even possible at the newer tracks?  Not for years, if ever.

And one more thing.  Texas alone will have to sell more than 290,000 tickets for their dates in April and October.  Yes, it's a big state, but demand is still a question.  Good luck.

And good luck to NASCAR fans everywhere--old and new alike.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2004, 08:49:31 PM »

More scheduling news:

NASCAR has confirmed negotiations to compete a Busch Series race next year in Mexico City.  In fact, the sanctioning body delayed an official announcement on that series' schedule for next year so that they can see if a deal can get done.

Spokesman Jim Hunter insists that the Nextel Cup won't race in Mexico or Canada, so Watkins Glen looks safe for now.

The entire article is at http://www.nascar.com/news/headlines/bg/05/14/mexico_city/index.html.

Also, the new Texas date is in November, not October.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Michael
Veteran

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2004, 01:18:51 AM »

Wow, NASCAR just keeps putting the nails in its coffin, doesn't it? Someday, it will be dead. Guys, it was fun while it lasted. See you (hopefully) in about 5-10 years on NBC.

Mike
Michael
Veteran

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2004, 01:20:16 AM »

P.S. Desmond, there is a crying emoticon. Look above the winking one, and next to the embarrassed one.
sally
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2004, 02:52:04 AM »

ISC has bought Martinsville...the shodow of doom is looming there already.  I think ISC needds a new coprorate catch phrase...The Track Killer.  They're still setting up Darlingtom to fail with the Sat nite before Mother's day racing.  Brian France proves that greed has no bounds.   His autobiography will be titled "How I Killed NASCAR".
Sally :cry:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: