November 20, 2017, 02:38:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Traditions or plans for Christmas  (Read 690 times)
Vivian
« on: December 13, 2005, 02:15:44 AM »

Does anyone have any special traditions or plans for Christmas that they would like to share?

Don and I usually travel over to and then up the coast and only do phone calls to family.  I love looking at the different ways people decorate their yards and homes as we don't do any of that at our home, by choice, since we don't usually have anyone visiting this time of year.  Weather conditions and the mountain passes are very chancy this time of year.  We mail or ship gifts and then selfishly take time for us after we wish everyone a safe and happy holiday season.

My favorite tradition is when my brother ships me oranges, grapefruit and orange blossom honey from Florida each December.
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 12:15:19 AM »

Cheesy  Cheesy vivian i don't celebrate christmas because it's a commerical hoilday now,but i do celebrate christ's birthday and my tradition is that for the past 15 yrs i attend church every christ's birthday eve with my christian brothers and sisters. Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 06:49:37 PM »

Ron, you may want to try something they have in Canada and England called Boxing Day.  In those countries, people there celebrate Christmas in a traditional manner, then open their presents the following day.  I think that's a great compromise.

John and Craig know all about it, because they are Canadian.

As for me, I celebrate Christmas only with my immediate family.  The extended family comes on Thanksgiving.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 06:58:17 PM »

Ron, I do admire your approach, but, as usual, I gotts different slant on things. Whether or not Santa exists, and the "spirit of Christmas" are pretty far removed from all the commercial aspects, I think anyhow.
  For instance, a professional group to which I belong is having a Holiday party for a disadvantaged family in a few hours. Five or six of us have worked pretty hard to raise the $, buy the gifts, arrange for the food, etc.
  Now I grant you, we have a bit of a selfish motive, but overall, if we can help just a little, one family at a time, then I say good for us. Think how much good each of us could do for all the hurricane victims, for instance.
  There are always folks in this old world who can use a helping hand, so I figure every little bit counts.
  And to me, that is what Christmas means, that is what Christ's birth and life means.
  Peace on Earth indeed.

54 to go!

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
derbyit857
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 08:48:45 PM »

Hi Desmond..

Most Canadians that I know use boxing day to head out and get great deals at stores (like you all in the U.S. get at Thanksgiving).   Retailers here don't have Thanksgiving sales.  I've personally never heard of anyone doing the tradition you described but perhaps that's the way it originated.. :-)

Happy Holidays!
Craig

Desmond said:
Ron, you may want to try something they have in Canada and England called Boxing Day. In those countries, people there celebrate Christmas in a traditional manner, then open their presents the following day. I think that's a great compromise.

John and Craig know all about it, because they are Canadian.
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 09:53:00 PM »

We had a British native employed here for a number of years. She used to try to explain "Boxing Day" to us but we never did get the concept quite right. Sounded like another reason to have another day off to me!! :-D  :-D

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: