November 19, 2017, 01:30:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nascar not happy with NO SHOWS  (Read 2609 times)
Richie
Sophmore

« on: December 06, 2005, 11:11:42 PM »

Check out this story.  I thought it was odd that Gordon was not there.  But that could not have been too much of a surprise if a video was prepared.

Guess this is what you get when you spend the final 10 races focused on only 10 drivers.  

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/motorsports/13342469.htm
sally
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 11:45:53 PM »

Excellent point!  By trivializing everyone but the 'top 10', Nascar got just what it deserved.  Eleventh place doesn't mean squat, no matter the money.   Since Nascar and the wireless company can't be bothered to pay attention to any of the other drivers, why should they schlepp all the way to NYC for nothing?

sal
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 01:21:32 PM »

Personally, I thought it made quite a statement that their four-time champ decided showing up to accept the 11th "loser" award wasn't worth the effort.  I admire him for choosing to spend his time actually racing at the Race of Champions in Paris instead.  

Maybe Gordon was thumbing his nose at Brian France's "lack of respect for the history and tradition of the sport" by coming up with the stupid Chase and all the other absurd things he's done to ruin the sport in the last two years.  

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 05:58:32 PM »

Somehow, I have a tough time imagining Baby Brian handing out orders to Jeff Gordon. I'd like  to see that. I hope Jeff tells him something like--When you can drive a racecar at 200 mph, then you can tell me when to show up!
  Why should Elliott Sadler make the trip.?

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
sally
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 06:54:13 PM »

The ultimate irony is that Nascar accuses these drivers of "Not respecting the history and tradition" of the sport?  What tradition?  No races at North Wilkesboro?  No Southern 500, only one date at Darlington?  Rockingham gone?  A "playoff" for the champeenship?  Yeah, Nascar is a fine one to talk about history and tradition.  Maybe the drivers that didn't show are just trying to "grow the sport", move it forward to meet the 'changing demographic" and 'new markets'.

Sal
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 08:26:02 PM »

Right on, Sally. The history and tradition of the sport now ia all about great big sums of money. Sad

William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 05:30:38 PM »

Quote from: "Cheryl"
Maybe Gordon was thumbing his nose at Brian France's "lack of respect for the history and tradition of the sport" by coming up with the stupid Chase and all the other absurd things he's done to ruin the sport in the last two years.

If so, that would be a huge statement made by one of the greatest drivers NASCAR has ever seen, one who has been a tireless spokesman for the sport since his career began.

P.S. Gordon was eliminated in the semifinals.

P.P.S. I did not see that part of the ceremony in which Will Ferrell played Gordon.  Did anyone else see it, and did you think it was funny?

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
sally
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 06:34:48 PM »

The only part I found funny was when he said that 'finishing 11th was like...being the 'best' of the rest of the field'.  How true.

sal
Vivian
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 09:13:22 PM »

Personally, I don't blame Jeff if he was dedicated to represent Nascar in the other race and they should not be upset about that.  Also, it is always reported that the banquet is for the 10 in the chase anyway so why should Nascar whine when 11th and others further back don't spend their money to attend.  Can't say as I blame the ones who choose not to attend.  JMO....(Hi, Dick!  Wink )

As far as Will Ferrell, he didn't impress me any..... :roll:   JMO....again
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2005, 09:19:28 PM »

Quote from: "Vivian"
As far as Will Ferrell, he didn't impress me any..... :roll:   JMO....again

Oh!  That was Will Ferrell!  I only watched the first hour of the show and wasn't paying that much attention.  I thought it was the same guy that hosted the show (Mohr?)  Haha!  Shows you how much attention I paid to those idiots (the comedians).  I tuned into see race car drivers and after over an hour, only saw one (besides Gordon on tape).  That's when we turned it off and went to bed.  I've NEVER missed an awards show since I started following the sport, but this year I really wasn't interested in seeing it at all.  I guess that's how much enthusiasm NA$CAR and TV has taken out of my enjoyment of the sport.  If I wanted to see stand-up comics, I'd watch a comedy show.

Cheryl
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2005, 01:15:59 AM »

Cheesy  Cheesy taped the show and i only watched to see jeff and kyle but the show lasted 3 and half hrs thats insane and i believe nascar knew jeff wouldn't show up and are embassaring him on purpose for what reason i don't know. also will ferall and jay mohr weren't funny at all. Sad  Sad  Sad
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2005, 07:24:56 PM »

Someone posted this article to my other racing list.  I'm impressed Gordon had the balls to stand up and call NASCAR the hypocrites they are:

http://www.longislandpress.com/?cp=93&show=article&a_id=6791

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2005, 12:19:25 AM »

I'm also impressed that he mentioned Nascar is reaching pretty far to expect drivers, after the long season of traveling all over the country, to show up in NYC for the dog and pony show just cuz Nascar wants the popular/pretty faces there.  Good for him.

sal
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2005, 09:53:06 PM »

I am glad to see Jeff give them some grief too. I gotta be careful here, such that I don't become a Gordon fan!! :-D  :-D
 Actually, it goes w/out saying that you have to respect Jeff as one of the all time very best, and I do.

William James
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2005, 12:44:01 AM »

Cheesy  Cheesy figures nascar doesn't even have the guts to respond to the reporter's request for comment on jeff's statement!! :shock:  :shock:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: