November 24, 2017, 09:33:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate the Gateway Busch TV Broadcast  (Voting closed: May 16, 2004, 09:32:59 PM)
Excellent Broadcast - 2 (50%)
About Average for Fox/FX - 2 (50%)
This was a Terrible Brodcast! - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 2

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rate the Charter 250 Busch Race Broadcast  (Read 1234 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: May 09, 2004, 09:32:59 PM »

Tell everyone what you thought about the Busch broadcast from Gateway Saturday night!
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2004, 09:41:20 PM »

I think this was a pretty good broadcast.  I was so proud of two things that Larry McReynolds said during the broadcast.  First off, he started the race as every race should be started by the TV crew.  He simply said "green flag!"  Good job, Larry!  

Secondly, I realized he probably slipped, but was proud that he pointed out that the Busch Series determines their champion in the "normal" way or something like that, as opposed to the playoff that Cup is using this season.  Way to go, Larry!

I also think that Steve Byrnes did a very good job as anchor and the entire team seemed to make an concerted effort to feature more of the Busch regulars this week, rather than only the Cup invaders.  While Biffle was focused on quite a bit, he did lose laps and then gain them back.  But the team barely mentioned Michael Waltrip, who was having a mediocre run.  If this had been a normal Busch broadcast, I think they would have talked about him a lot more.  

I find I always enjoy the "pared" down broadcast team SO much more at these standalone events.  

Now I will have to admit, I fell asleep 3 times during this race because of the lack of action on the track, so if there was something particulary good or bad about this broadcast, I may have missed it.  :lol:

I've just never been much of a fan of night races on TV, especially at boring tracks like Gateway.  Richmond or Bristol are a different story, but then short tracks are NEVER boring!

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2004, 12:14:52 AM »

Cheryl, I agree that the Fox crew does much better with a few of their people "missing"!  Even though the race was less than a thriller, they didn't seem to spend so much time babbling.  For some reason, I was more aware than usual with Larry Mac starting every sentence with "I mean..."  Drove me crazy.  I did love the "Normal championship" comment, too!  Even he subconsciously thinks the "Chase" is unnatural!  I didn't miss DW a bit.  Much more professional broadcast than usual.  
Sally
John
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2004, 02:46:35 AM »

Ladies, I love how you stick up for ol' Larry when he has a "slip" about the "Chase For The Championship" not being normal as compared to the Busch series championship because you are not in favor of it.  How do you know what he really thinks about it?  He could have meant that normal means, "what we are used to".  I mean (get it), be careful not to put words in his mouth.  I know we can debate back and forth about the this year's championship, however, there is nothing we can do about it (besides complain, which will not bring back the old system no matter how many points the leader gives away at the end of 26 races).  My point of view is to take a wait and see attitude because it is easy to complain about something we have not yet seen.

Then Sally, you then flip flop over to how  the "I mean's" drove you crazy.  Unfortunately, Larry's "I mean" is the same as someone who says "umm" because they cannot think of another word in a sentence without creating "dead air".  The man has huge crew chief experience to bring to the broadcast and his strategy during the race is usually right on the money.  I will over look the "I mean's" any day just to hear his experience (or "sperance" as others like to call it, ha ha ha).

By the way, I read the rules again before posting just to make sure different opinions were welcome here and sure enough it is even though it is not seen very often.  Probably the reason I'm not as hard on the TV broadcasters and NASCAR as much as others here is because I remember a time when I could not watch a race on TV which, by the way, included the Busch race last night.  I consider myself lucky to be able to watch a race live for 37 or 38 weeks in a season.  It is your right to complain and it is my right to be thankful.

ommy Baldwin after Tropicana 400:  "This is NASCAR's world, we just live in it."
sally
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2004, 03:48:22 AM »

Wow, John.  I finally pay Fox a compliment, and still get raked over the coals.   Glad it was better than the usual broadcast.  I understand that the "I mean" is a verbal quirk, and he does it every time he's on the air.  I just noticed it more than usual Saturday.  Maybe because DW wasn't there talking over everyone else.  And, there's a difference between "dead air" and pausing to catch one's breath.   Larry is extremely knowlegable, and is frequently insightful.  I don't think I've ever said he wasn't.  All in all, a much more low key approach, which I enjoyed much more than usual.
Sally
Vivian
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2004, 09:12:01 PM »

What can I say? I liked the broadcast and lack of focus on the cup entries. I did not miss the normal banter and cutsey remarks that they seem to really throw in when others are around.  They did a better than average job and I have to give them a B-

And now, I have to say that we all have our little idiocyncresies (spell) and there are some that are more irritating than others. My weakness is "I have to say", some people say uh, but uh a lot, some say you know, some say I mean, some say you know what I mean, some ask really and I feel like saying that I would not have said it if it weren't so and I guess I could think of dozens of others.  Yes, things irritate us and things make us happy.  If we were all alike, it would be boring.  Some of my best buddies and I disagree on our likes and dislikes but we respect each other's feelings so all is well with us.   Cool

I personally am nervous about the C4C but we can't change it.  I am nervous because I am so afraid so many teams will possibly lose some of their full time sponsors and not be able to keep up with the technology.  And speaking of that, somebody tell me how some of these Cup drivers who are running both Busch and Cup and can't get a Cup sponsor are spending money in Busch?  Seems almost like a forked tongue thing when the owners are the same.  Why couldn't they apply those $$$ to Cup and cut out the Busch?  I have to say that would make more sense.  Would someone enlighten me, please?  Thanks.
Michael
Veteran

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2004, 11:35:45 PM »

Quote from: "Cheryl"
I think this was a pretty good broadcast.  I was so proud of two things that Larry McReynolds said during the broadcast.  First off, he started the race as every race should be started by the TV crew.  He simply said "green flag!"  Good job, Larry!  

Secondly, I realized he probably slipped, but was proud that he pointed out that the Busch Series determines their champion in the "normal" way or something like that, as opposed to the playoff that Cup is using this season.  Way to go, Larry!

I also think that Steve Byrnes did a very good job as anchor and the entire team seemed to make an concerted effort to feature more of the Busch regulars this week, rather than only the Cup invaders.  While Biffle was focused on quite a bit, he did lose laps and then gain them back.  But the team barely mentioned Michael Waltrip, who was having a mediocre run.  If this had been a normal Busch broadcast, I think they would have talked about him a lot more.  

I find I always enjoy the "pared" down broadcast team SO much more at these standalone events.  

Now I will have to admit, I fell asleep 3 times during this race because of the lack of action on the track, so if there was something particulary good or bad about this broadcast, I may have missed it.  :lol:

I've just never been much of a fan of night races on TV, especially at boring tracks like Gateway.  Richmond or Bristol are a different story, but then short tracks are NEVER boring!

Cheryl

You know, if I ever anchored a race like this (no DW), I'd take a page from Bob Varsha's book, and as they're approaching the line, I'd say, "Turn up the volume, and listen to the start of the (race name) at (race location)!" That should keep Larry Mac quiet for a while.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2004, 01:56:21 AM »

Quote from: "Michael"
You know, if I ever anchored a race like this (no DW), I'd take a page from Bob Varsha's book, and as they're approaching the line, I'd say, "Turn up the volume, and listen to the start of the (race name) at (race location)!" That should keep Larry Mac quiet for a while.

Its definitely not Larry that I'd like to have be quiet at the start of the races.   :wink:   That was my point.  But your idea of just being quiet is good too.  I think that is what NBC has been doing the last two years to counter the BBB stuff from Fox.

I still never notice how Larry starts his sentences.  I guess we all have our pet peeves from the broadcasts.  But Vivian's point is a good one.  I know of one driver in the USAR series that every time he is interviewed at any length, uses the phrase "you know" to punctuate almost every sentence.  I notice it every time I hear him interviewed.  I think it is a function of nervousness in his case.  Of being in front of the camera or on the radio.  Because I've talked to him in person many times and never notice him doing that.  So, I guess everyone has their little quirks.  I know when I have to speak in front of a group at work, I fall back on "ummm" way too often, even though I took speech classes in college and know you're suppose to avoid that type of thing.  But it just happens sometimes.  "You know..."   Smiley

Cheryl "who is actually listening to Larry Mac on XM right now and still don't notice the quirk everyone else does"
Vivian
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2004, 08:58:41 PM »

Cheryl, I am so jealous of your XM!   Tongue
Do ya have to rub it in?Huh?  Guess you do and I know I would.  :wink:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: