November 22, 2017, 06:18:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nascar Classic  (Read 954 times)
sally
« on: May 07, 2004, 09:09:30 PM »

I'm sitting here watching the Pepsi 400 (2000, I think), and I'm listening to Buddy Baker, Ned Jarrett, and Mike Joy do the commentary.  Ahhhh.  Running order is shown with the small box in the corner that show 3 cars at a time, so you don't have to stare at it and miss the race action!    No hype, no " I mean, if I was the crew chief/driver..."  Just what's happening on the track.  For those of you who think our version of the Good Old Days of TV coverage are a myth, take a listen.  No pointers!@!  No "Virtual Garage", no stupid questions across the screen.  THAT"S race coverage. Tongue
ally
marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 01:58:20 PM »

Buddy...Ned.... The Good Old Days....You are such an awful tease, Sally.  No streamer, you say?  No stupid graphics?  Bob Jenkins, where the hell is Bob Jenkins when you need him?  Back when Nascar was Nascar and a race was a race and life was good....Back when you would sit on the couch and be at the edge of your seat.....I think I am tearing up here....Where did the time go?  I miss those days.  Used to be I would set Sunday aside and everyone would know not to bother me when the race was on and I wouldn't answer my phone if some idiot forgot and called me...Now I am calling people for some entertainment.  Now I have my ritualistic Sunday nap during the race, as I can always count on falling asleep during the first 300 or so parade laps.  I am so glad we have "grown the sport" to such new and exciting "markets" and "vacation destinations," making damn sure we have stuck to "tradition" while aiming for new "demographics."  Thanks to "Realignment" I am sure to get boring races back to back, but, well, "It is what it is".  I am definitely looking forward to the "next level" because I have grown damn sick of this one.

Thank you Sally, for the reminder of the better days.  They may be able to take the fun out of races, but they'll never make us forget.
Vivian
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2004, 10:12:49 PM »

Hey, Martinigirl!  Good to have you back with us.

I agree on the good old days but unfortunately we can't go back in time.   :cry:   If we could, I would erase February 18, 2001 and restart and end that day differently and I think some of the changes that have been made since would also be moot.  For now, I am determined that no matter how much I dislike all that is going on I am not going to let it get me down as I can't change it so I am trying hard to zero in on the good.

Don't desert us again, please....
marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2004, 03:20:25 AM »

Ah yes, Vivian, I agree fully.  I think if we could go back in time, all of 2001 would be erased, definitely.  Back to happier times, when racing was exciting and we weren't subjected to erection commercials all the time.  Makes you kinda wonder, though, doesn't it?  They say the demographic they are after is 18-34 year old males, and yet they keep showing all of these ads.....Are we to assume that these poor young guys can't understand racing and can't get it up?  How sad.  Oh well.

Don't worry, I don't plan on desserting you again.  i think I finally remember my name.  Or someone's name, but I am going to use it if they don't claim it.....
sally
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2004, 05:52:24 PM »

Vivian,  I admire your resolve to focus on the positive.  Those would be...?
Sally
Vivian
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2004, 06:16:01 PM »

Sally, while I was growing up I kept a small typed positive paragraph taped on my bathroom mirror to help me stay cheerful.  Somewhere along the road, I lost it and can't remember how it went.  But I gained a new one which I will maybe post later in the day as it is a whole page of positive thoughts but goes something like Attitude determines attitude.  Mentions stuff like it is raining, I don't have to water the lawn today; roses have thorns but how beautiful the flower they produce is; and goes on and on.
And then I have always taken the Scarlett O'Hara attitude of I won't worry about that now, I'll think about it tomorrow.  Maybe it is a cop out but it is the way I try to approach life.  BTW, I am a smoker.  I have never quit or tried to quit as I think the word "try" admits defeatism right away.  However, I have to tell you (there is that remark again!  :wink:  ) that in March 1996, I woke up one day and said, "I don't think I will smoke today" and the next day said the same and did that for many days in a row until it dribbled down to not very often at all and although it has been over 8 years, I still haven't broken down and had one - wanted to though.  Call it conditioning or whatever, I just think since I can't change it, then I prefer to try to find the good in Nascar and still bitch about the bad.  I firmly believe good always outweighs bad and I force myself to dwell on the good and try to shine the bad - to a degree.   :?

Sorry, Members, that I got sort of off subject.  Anyone care to give us their feelings on the way they approach and face life???
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: